Rearranged room, suddenly pooping everywhere, how to fix?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namehere

Reaction score
About two days ago I rearranged my room, including my rabbits litter boxes. I thought it would be alright to move them since it was just to the other corner across from where they had been before. I put pee pads where his old litter boxes had been in case he still wanted to use the bathroom there. Yesterday, he peed on the pee pads twice and pooped in maybe one or two spots, though he primarily used his litter boxes. When I woke up this morning, he’d been on the pee pads but poop was everywhere. If it’s of any significance he’s mainly pooping where his new sleeping or laying spots are. I replace the pee pads when he pees on them, and scoop up the poop and put it in his boxes when I see it. I’m just a little confused since he’s also using his boxes most of the time. I recently looked it up and found out I should have only moved the boxes a little at a time, but they’re already moved. Is he doing this because I moved stuff around, or could it be territorial (he’s an unneutered 3 year old)? I also want to know if there’s anything else I should be doing to help get him back on track, or if this will sort itself out after a few days?

He's likely just marking (re-marking) the area as his-- especially those new sleeping or laying spots. Re-arranging furniture, litter boxes, etc, makes the area seem new to him so my guess is that the territorial marking will diminish in time.

If it were me, I'd probably put a litter box (new one, not the original) in the place where the old one used to be (rather than pee pads). My reasoning: I'd be concerned that the pee pad is not a box and is closer to being "the floor." So I'd be concerned that he'd be more likely to potty there (on the floor) once the pads are eventually removed. By putting a new litter box there, he'll have two choices (for now) but will likely favor his former box. As long as he continues to favor the former box (in its new location), then the new box (in the old location) can eventually be removed.

I've had much better luck letting my rabbits decide where the litter boxes go than choosing for them. This isn't always an option for everyone, though.

Back