Re-growing Lettuce

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apebull

Reaction score
Has anyone here heard of this or better yet tried it? I think I might just have to try since we go through Romaine like water.

HTML:
http://lessonsinfarming.wordpress.com/2013/04/01/re-growing-lettuce/

I have not seen or heard of that. It looks like a great idea. We go through lots of romaine every winter for the buns.
I'll be anxious to give it a try!

I just put a romaine butt in some water to try this! I eat romaine like its going out of style, so might as well try to regrow SOME of it!
Hopefully it works!

I just put the head in some water.Pretty simple aye XD Becuz my bunnies go through lettuce like its going out of style Lol :rabbithop

Yes, I know it works on romaine lettuce and cellary, but it's slow so you gotta have a lot of them going if you wanna just rely on this LOL I've been doing this for like 2 weeks now or something

Ok, I put some used up romaine in water a few days ago. It has already grown a few leaves a couple inches high. So cool!

I've tried lettuce and celery. They grew fine but the part in the water got gross and moldy. Green onions, on the other hand (for human consumption only), regrow like a dream!

I noticed my water was getting a little green, so I dumped it and rinsed the bowl and the growing lettuce. That was a couple days ago and it has grown faster since. So, if I keep doing that, I don't think I will have a nasty moldy problem. We shall see. And I don't see why I won't keep growing it. Saves some money. Not a lot of money, but every penny helps right now.

The only thing with this method I wonder about is the nutritional value of the lettuce since it's not in soil. Planting medium is pretty important because the plant absorbs the minerals and nutrients from the soil, then we get that nutrition when we eat it. I think this method is a good way to initially start but unless a person is adding a liquid organic fertiliser, the lettuce should be planted in an organic, nutrient rich soil once it takes root.

That is what I do, I start it out in water and plant it in soil after it grows a good length. I do this for celery,lettuce and book choy.

Back