random tilting of the head?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to give an update- I would have given one sooner, but for some reason, the internet was out again.:grumpy:
Belle is making a slow recovery. She's eating a very small amount of pellets and lettuce on her own. She still won't touch her hay though. Her next appointment is in two weeks, unless she gets worse again. Then I'll have to bring her asap. Belle and Necro have been together, yes. Necro seems to be calmging her nerves alot. :)

:jumpforjoy:

I'm so glad she's eating on her own!

Have you tried cutting her hay into small pieces and mixing it with her pellets? She might have an easier time eating it then. I know my rabbits sometimes move their heads around when eating a stubborn piece of hay, but she wouldn't be able to do that and might feel uncomfortable.

Hey. I just wanted to update.
Belle is doing okay, kinda. She's drinking water again, but she's still barely eating on her own, so I've still been syringe feeding her three times a day. She's still taking three of the meds she was originally prescribed- Lactulose, Propulsid and Meloxicam. Belle has also lost weight do to all of this. I'm not sure of her weight at the moment, but she will be going to the vet's the Friday, and I'm going to make sure they weigh her. I'm actuallu kind of worried about that... My boyfriend bathed her yesterday because we had gotten her food all over her because she squirmed quite a bit. I went to see how her bath was going and I noticed that her two front legs looked like twigs.:( It came as such a shock to me because I remember them having some muscle. And now when I pick her up, she feels rather boney. She's not having a hard time walking or anything, so I don't think her legs are all that frail, but still, I'm kind of concerned about it. She's still alert though, and she's still got the attitude she's always had, so I really don't think she's willing to give up, and I'm glad. I'm just not sure about the whole weight issue at the moment.

You may think about investing in pet insurance, for future issues; costs about $10 a month and covers alot of common ailments, most that I've seen will cover upto $3000 on specific occurrences.

I've been looking into pet insurance, but I can't find one that willcover rabbits. I have a brochure from the aspca, but it seems they only cover cats and dogs.I brought Belle to the vet Friday, along with Necro. She's basically just maintaining.... she's not getting worse and she's not getting better. Since she's gotten sick, Belle has lost about half a pound, maybe a tad bit more, and the muscles in her front legs are wasting away it seems. Since she's just kind of maintaining, the vet did some blood work, now I'm just waiting for the results to come back. She's still very alert and drinking water on her own. She eats a bit of pellets on her own too, but she's really not pooping much. Hopefully this will all be figured out soon.

Just reading this now--I hope things continue to improve for your baby! How scary. Your story has made me think that vet insurance might be a good thing for me too. You can get it for rabbits from VPI: www.petinsurance.com . As far as I can tell, they're the only US pet insurance firm that covers rabbits (under the avian and exotic plan). It's about $120 a year, or $10/month (+processing fee). The problem that's holding me back from getting it is that it really won't help unless you have some catastrophic emergency. For instance, it won't help you pay for tooth trims or annual well-bunny check ups. But your story may convince me that it's worth it!

Chandie, how is Belle doing?

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but have you checked into getting Care Credit for the vet bills? You would be able to make monthly payments with that. You can use it at vets and alot ofplaces take it.

I've been following this thread since it started, I just want to say that I pray that your little one gets better.

I have VPI insurance. And they are not bad, but I doubt they will cover a pre-existing condition. They will request medical history. Just givin you a heads up.

Belle is still maintaining-no better, but she isn't getting worse. I definitely would like to get insurance for both Belle and Necro. And, yes, I checked into Care Credit- I applied and I guess I don't qualify :grumpy:. And thanks for the well wishing everyone :). I'm sure Belle appreciates all the love. :biggrin2: I'm still looking into different insurances too. And if I go with VPI, and they don't cover a pre-existing problem, that may be okay, depending on how Belle does for now.

I have to bring Belle back to the vet today... I got a call yesterday from her vet; she wanted to talk about Belle's blood test results. Two of the tests came back abnormal: the test for her kidneys and the test for her liver. :? Her vet suggested an ultrasound, which we'll be discussing today. Unfortunately the ultrasound can't be done today. I guess the tech goes in on Tuesdays and Thrusdays, but they'd have to call him/her before hand. I'm going over to the health section now to see if I can find anything about the kindeys or the liver, but just in case I can't find anything, does anyone know what type of problems bunnies can have with those organs?
Thanks, as always.

Hi... Im new to this forum and I just noticed your thread... I just wanted to let you know you and Belle are in my thoughts and prayers.

I don't know anything really about kidneys and livers in buns... I hope you find some good information, and I hope someone who has some knowledge about these issuessees this thread.

I'll be praying for you and your Belle.:hug::pray:

Thankyou much. :) The article did help actually. Now I know what questions to ask the vet when I go later today. I will update whn I get back to the vet- if my computer will let me. :X

So, I'm back from the vet. Belle had to stay again. She's not doing well. Again. :( The vet wants to do another radiograph because it seems whatever the problem is has moved to the lower part of the abdomen/stomach. There's alos the chance that there may be something wrong with her kidneys and/or liver- a possible infection. When I find out more, I'll update. Please keep Belle in your thoughts.

Oh no! Not more problems for Belle!:(

E. cuniculi can cause kidney problems. I don't know that it causes liver problems, but sudden weight loss can and I wouldn't be surprised if she's dropped a lot of weight with all these problems.

Why is she being kept overnight? They could teach you to do sub-q fluids at home. I can't really think of any other reason for her to stay overnight unless there's a bunch of stuff she needs that is more than you can handle. Don't be afraid to put your foot down and keep Belle at home if you can provide her with what she needs. I know how quicklyovernight feesadd up!

I just read this thread through for the first time!
I really feely bad for you and Belle.

Believe me I know whats it like to have a chronically sick rabbit..but not as sick as Belle has been.
I know whats its like ..every vet visit running up hundreds of $$ and the bunny still isn't well.
I certainly hope that someone gets to the bottom of the problem and puts it all together . It seems like they have been dealing with the emergencies but still haven't diagnosed the root of the problems.

I hope that you find out soon.
:pray::pray::pray:

Back