random tilting of the head?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did she check her back teeth?

and is this a rabbit savvy vet?

Yes, Belle's back teeth have been checked. And their vet is rabbit savvy.:)
I'm waiting for a call from her vet, so she can tell me how Belle is doing. When I know how she's doing, I'll update.

I finally got an update. The vet said that Belle was making some progress. She's eating some of the hay they gave her, so she has gone to the bathroom a little. She's still doing some tests with her, so I won't be able to pick her up until 2:30-ish tomorrow. I will be over-joyed to haver home.

I had another question; Necro hasn't come out of the cage at all today, and I really don't want to force him to if he doesn't want to. He's eating and drinking fine though. I'm wondering if he's just sad and confused about Belle not being home?

He is probably thinking she has abandoned him. In the rare times we have a rabbit spend the night at a vet, if that rabbit is part of a bonded pair or trio....they all stay.

Randy

She was going to have Necro stay with her, but since Belle wasn't eating, she wanted to keep her there alone. I hope I won't have to re-bond them.

Is there anything I can do to make Necro feel better?

I would spend some qualilty TLC with him as much as possible.

Has your vet come up with anything yet? I would just about bet money that she would start eating if she were on some pain meds. If it's what I think it is (and I have been wrong before) she is probably not feeling too well. Ear infections....and dental if it's involved...can be painful and they won't eat if they are in pain. I am thinking at least an anti-inflammatory (if not a bit more aggressive analgesic)just to see if she improves....just thinking out loud here.

Randy

Before I left yesterday, the vet told me they would be trying some pain meds as well as tests. She also told me that it seemed like Belle was having some stomach pain. When I talked to her just a little while ago, she said Belle seemed like she was in less pain, and that's why she was able to take in some hay.

Just wondering now....see if you can find out what pain meds were administered. If the pain meds helped her appetite.....she is hurting either in her ear or her teeth (remember that the tilt can be caused by molar root issues). A little canned pumpkin (not the pie filling..the real canned stuff) is very nutritous and has lots of fiber. You might want to ask if she has been given any fluids (either SQ or IV). That would most likely help her too.

Randy

I see progress being made here. Metacam is a NSAID....along the lines of our Tylenol. If that is making her feel better, she has some inflammation somewhere...again most likely the ear or dental. Between the Metacam and the fluids, she should be feeling better. But the root of the concern still needs to be found. But this does look promising as far as progress on her issues is concerned.

Hey everyone. Belle is back from the vet. She's doing okay.. she hasn't eaten anything since we got home, which was about an hour ago, but I suppose I should give it some time.
The diagnosis is GI stasis. What I'm really confused about is how she went from being diagnosed with E. Cunuculi to being diagnosed with GI stasis.

I've been following this thread, even though I haven't responded up until now.

It's good Belle is doing better. However, it does a bit confusing. Have you talked to the vet and questioned what they have said and why they said it and asked about the EC?

Belle's vet wasn't there- because it's Saturday, but they had another vet there caring for her today. By the time I got there though, the other vet had left, and the techs couldn't answer my questions.:X They said that Belle's vet would either be calling me tomorrow or Monday.:?

Hmm. It really sounds like you need to know exactly what the vet has to say because this is very confusing and conflicting. If the vet doesn't call, make sure you keep calling to get the answers you need and deserve.

Yes. It's very confusing and if I don't get answers soon, I'm going to go crazy. I got instructions from one of the techs (the vet left them with the tech) and it says to keep giving her the panacur. So, I'm left to wonder if she has Gi stasis and E. Cunuculi.
Oh, I called the vet's office. I guess they close at 3 today, so I'll have to call again the morning.:X

It sucks to be in a place with an ill rabbit and not know what is going on. Hopefully someone can answer your questions soon. *hugs to you for this confusion* It doesn't make a difficult situation any easier.

Well you see, stasis is a SYMPTOM, not a disease. So I think how they explained it to you is a bit wrong. GI stasis can happen when a rabbit is unable or too stressed to eat so the intestines slow down and/or stop moving. It is often secondary to another problem- pain from something, tooth issues preventing them from eating, infection, general stress, etc.

My non-professional theory is that Belle has stasis because of the head tilt, not stasis and head tilt. Head tilt is disorienting- just think if your head was angled wrong all day! It's very stressful and you already noticed that she has trouble eating with her head angled wrong.

What Belle needs is lots of supportive therapy- lots of fluids and some food, syringed if necessary. Pain meds would be nice. If you can get it, Critical Care would be a good choice for syringed food because it includes probiotics to help encourage good bacteria in her gut and extra vitamins to give her energy and support her immune system while she is feeling poorly. If you can't get that (mainly only from vets), you can make something similar by making a mush out of Belle's regular pellets and adding a little bit of Nutri-Cal and Benebac. Canned pure pumpkin is another good syringe-feeding food, and many rabbits really like it. I mix it in the pellet mush to improve the taste, or feed it on it's own if they'll lick it up.

Here's info on stasis, I highly recommend reading through it:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=28622&forum_id=10

What meds is she getting for the head tilt? Is it just Panacur so far, no antibiotics? Or does she have antibiotics now in case it's an ear infection?

Oh okay. Yeah, the techs didn't explain that GI stasis was a symptom...
I do have critical care, but I think I'll get some canned pumpkin as well. Belle is still on the Panacur, but she was not given any pain meds. She's not grinding her teeth, but I know that doesn't mean she can't be in pain. I'll be paying alot of attention to her actions, like whether she's eating, drinking, going to the bathroom, etc.

Latest posts

Back