random tilting of the head?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try both the Critical Care and the pumpkin, see if she'll maybe lick them off a spoon if you hold it up for her. Maybe she wants to eat but can't position herself right. Otherwise go for syringe feeding. Different people recommend different amounts for syringe feeding, but my vet recommended only 15 mL of food per day (for 2 lb Mocha) to support a bun in stasis, since more might stress them more than they need and you want them to be a bit hungry so they'll eat on their own again when they can. You can give more if she likes it, but my rabbits really hate being syringe fed.

Sucks they didn't send pain meds home.:(

Edit: Oh, and some vets still treat stasis like it's the actual cause, it kind of depends on their viewpoint. But just like bacteria can be the cause of a runny eye, something is usually the cause of GI stasis.

Belle hates being syringe fed too. She always ends up kicking out of my hand in her attempts to gte away. I also wish they would have given her some pain meds. I'll be calling her vet in the morning anyway, so I'll aski if it's possible to get her some pain medication.

I'm concerned again. I am really beginning to wonder just how rabbit savvy the vets are. As I mentioned....EC does not cause head tilt. But head tilt, if it is caused by a painful infection, cancontribute tostasis.

Again, I am not a vet but based on my many years of experience dealing with issues like this....I really think we have either a vestibular or a dental issue. Either one of those can cause stasis. Stasis is a symptom....not a "root cause" type issue. Stasis is always caused by something else. In this situation....since she is tilted....that leads me to the conclusion that something is causing her pain on the right side of her head. Being in pain can bring on stasis.

Panacur is a dewormer....nothing more. And while it is the most widely used treatment for EC and is considered the best available (and that is debatable) it won't address the tilt or the GI issue.

I am pasting in a list of vets in your general area. This info is from Sweet Binks Rabbit Rescue located in Foster, RI. One of the best rabbit rescues in the country. Have been there in person and met the owner.

[align=left]

[align=left]
clearpixel.gif

clearpixel.gif

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1]Rabbits need specialized veterinary care and many veterinarians are not well trained or up-to-date in rabbit medicine and health. If you need (after hours) emergency veterinary assistance, we recommend going to [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1]Angell Memorial[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1] or [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1]Tufts University[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1] in MA for emergency rabbit treatment. Listed below are the veterinarians that we recommend and have experience with:[/size][/font][/align]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1] Dr. Daniel Cardosa & Dr. Sharon Chang - Big River Vet Clinic, West Greenwich, RI (401)397-8777
Dr. Dan Simpson - West Bay Animal Hospital,Warwick,RI 401-828-5767
Dr. Susanne Saslaw - Ferguson Animal Hospital, N. Prov RI (401) 353-3352
Dr. Henry Wietsma - North Kingstown, RI (401) 295-9739
Dr. David Lambert - Quinebaug Valley Vet Hospital, Danielson, CT. (860) 774-7650
Dr. Deb Gherke - Pet Partners, Fall River, MA (508)672-4813 [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-2](spay/neuter clinic only)[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1]
Dr. Ken Abrams, Veterinary Ophthalmologist, Warwick, RI 401-738-7337[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-2] [/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-2](ophthalmology only)
[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1] How to [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1]find[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=-1] a good rabbit vet in a different area. [/size][/font][/align]

I hope I am totally wrong, but I really think the treatment is in the wrong direction and time is wasting. I strongly suggest a second opinion (and no vet worth their salt will object to a second opinion) on this matter....and the sooner the better.

Randy

Tufts University is actually where I brought her in the first place on Wednesday night.
They're the ones who said it was E. Cunuculi.:? The next day, I brought her to her normal vet and she ended up staying until today. Seeing as how she's still not eating (which is weird because I was told on the phone today that she was) I'm going to have to syringe feed her. I would love to get a second opinion on this matter, and I've been racking my brain... there are a couple of problems. The vets that you listed are pretty far away from me and unfortunately I don't drive. My father drives, but he works like all the time. The other problem is money. Over the last couple of days, I spent about $555.00 on vet bills. So right now, I'm pretty much broke. To be honest, I don't want to have to wait until Monday because who knows what can happen between now and then.

Well, it appears that Belle is still in pain because she is grinding her teeth again. I made her a rice sock. I don't know how much that will help because I don't know where the pain is coming from. I'm getting frustrated because I'm not quite sure what to do here. OH, and I gave her some canned pumpkin mixed with critical care.

I am so sad that this has happened to Belle. Anyway to give her pain meds? Do you have any Metacam? I think this would be great to try to steady the ship with her. Something to help with the pain of this:?.

Oh Chandie, I am so sorry about little Belle.Please give her a hug and kiss from me.

Keep us posted.:(

Unfortunately they didn't prescribe pain meds for her. She was using the rice sock, but she seemed to have gotten sick of it. I'll be calling her vet in the morning to see about pain meds, but if her vet isn't there, I don't know if they'll be able to give me pain meds for her.
I'll definitely keep you posted. Thanks ;)

Hey everyone. More stuff. :?
Belle now has a gurgly stomach. Could this be because I had to syringe her some canned pumpkin and some water? Not only is she not eating, but isn't drinking again either. At this point, I really feel like I could lose it. I don't know what's going on with Belle and I don't want to lose her. :(

Will she let you hold her? could you hold her with a warm towel under her and just gently stroke her sides? It could help with gas.

It's really important that around her you stay calm and ok, stress to us by all means, but be calm around her.

Can you give her some simethicone for gas? It won't harm even if its not. She might also need some pedialyte because she is not drinking.

How is she acting? she needs some exercise to help shift the gas, sort of enforced exercise may be necessary. Also tummy rubs, may help as may something like an electric toothbrush, but if its not gas that might cause more harm than good and I'm not confident saying either way.

Fingers crossed for you and Belle!

:yeahthat:

Simethicone= baby gas meds, which you can usually find at any Walmart, grocery store, etc. Give 1 mL every two hours or so. Also, do a gentle tummy massage to help move the gas out. Here's how: http://www.mybunny.org/info/gi_stasis.htm

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Massaging or vibrating your rabbit’s tummy is one of the best ways to help break up gas bubbles and encourage the gut to ‘get moving’. Sit bunny on your lap or on a towel on the counter and with your hands gently knead your rabbit’s abdomen, as deeply as she will allow. If she reacts in a painful manner, stop. You can also vibrate bunny’s tummy by holding your hand, palm up, under her belly, or one hand on either side of the belly and jiggling as quick as bunny will allow. Do these for as long and as often as bunny will tolerate. Ask your vet to show you where your bunny’s tummy is, it may not be where you think it is![/font]

Definitely syringe more fluids for her, and some food too. The gas buildup is because her intestines are slow, not because you syringed food into her.

I know this is scary, but I really believe that you and Belle can get through this. :pray:

I can try the simethicone. Last night I even tried to massage her tummy. She wouldn't let me do it for long, but I believe I got a couple of bunny poots. Unfortunately Belle is not very active. She's in pain somewhere, so all she seems to be doing is laying down and grinding her teeth. She's also getting very frustrated with me because I have to keep syringe feeding. Once again, she managed to kick the syringe out of my hand.

I know I have to stay calm while around her, and I'm doing that to the very best of my ability. I just don't know to do, so I have random bouts of crying because I feel like a bad bunny mom. :( I need to get Belle into the vet, but I have no money right now at all. I've also talked to my parents, but they can't lend me a hand because they're tight financially as well. The same goes for my siblings. I can't even ask relatives because they are way worse off than me and my family, not to mention that I haven't talked to them in forever. Belle's regular vet doesn't accept payment plans, so I've been trying to find another in Massachusetts that does, but it's Sunday and vet's offices don't seem to be open. And that causes one more problem: I wanted to get Bellein today because my dad will be working the entire week,until about 5-ish, and most of them close around 4. :X I feel like the only way I can get Belle the help that she needs is to re-home her. I love Belle very much, and I don't want to have to just give her away, but at the moment, I don't see any other options.

Sorry about my vent. I just kind of let my emotions go. :(

Don't ever be sorry for venting, venting is good.

It's clear how much you love Belle and just want what is best for her, and it's so clear how confused and stressed you are. Keep venting if it helps.

Do you have any forum members hear you who can maybe come and help in anyway?

Do you have any metacam? Maybe giving her pain meds might help her.

Also, do you know how to do Sub Q fluids? That might possiblybe a good thing for her to have.

Is she pooing or anything? Simethicone won't hurt her and she might like the taste.

I wish I could help. If you do want to vent, then feel free to PM me.

:hug:

Does your vet take Care Credit? It's a credit card just for veterinary or medical bills.
http://www.carecredit.com/

Or you can search for a vet that takes it here:
http://www.carecredit.com/apply/index.html

The great thing about Care Credit is that if you follow their payment plan, there's no interest. It can be really helpful in times like this. My vet takes Care Credit and so does my emergency vet.

They actually do accept care credit, but for some reason when I asked them if they had a payment plan, they didn't tell me about care credit. :grumpy:The emergency vet that I took Belle to on Wednesday also accepts it. I was on the website and had my dad look over it and now he doesn't think it's a good idea.:?I explained about the no interest plan too. I'm probably just going to go ahead and apply anyway, because this may be my only option.

:(Nevermind. I don't believe I am eligible for Care Credit anyway.

Okay, so I'm not having any progress in getting Belle to the vet... but I'd very much so like to alleviate her pain. I know of metacam, which unfrotunately I won't be able to get until probably tomorrow. In the meantime, is there anything else that I can use? Possibly Ibuprofen or even aspirin or baby aspirin?

I use Baby Motrin (Ibuprofen) when Pipp has a dental issue and I'm out of Metacam. She's just under 3lbs and gets a quarter of a tab.

There's a great 'Pain Management' post in the Library, I'll see if my computer will cooperate and let me pull up the link for you.

PS: We do ask that all Infirmary correspondence is posted and that people avoid IMing with Infirmary Mods. Even though they'reoften accomodating, it doesn't help others now and in thefuture with similar issues needinginformation. It's far more educational, and it's alsosafer, seeing as others can view the info and correct any inadvertent mistakes,offer their own experiences, etc.

:thanks:

sas :bunnydance:

Thank you Pipp.

I was hoping someone who knew what they were talking about would reply, so thank you! I can pull up the link easier than you I should think. So I can sort that if you like.

Latest posts

Back