Rabbits Traumatized From Moving?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoolia

Reaction score
Yesterday we moved Pup and Thumpette from our quiet rural house into our tiny new apartment in bustling NYC. I don't think they're taking the move well.
I transported them in the smaller of two cages I owned, stuffed with hay so they wouldn't slide and shift around in the back seat and would have plenty to chew if they needed it. It was a very stressful 2 1/2 hour car ride through stop-and-go traffic for most of it. We made a couple pit stops where I checked on the bunnies to make sure they were still secure and breathing. We made it to the new apartment safely and secure, and I set them up in their new area and did my best to leave them alone and give them space and time to decompress.
It's been 24 hours - just about - and neither rabbit has left the litter box (bottom half of the transport cage) yet. I put their water bowl in with them this morning to make sure they drank something and took it back out a couple hours later, hoping they'd get the idea that it's safe to come out into their little enclosure. I even spread out some of their pellets outside of the litter box to entice them, but no luck.
I'm worried they'll end up like Muffin who spent a year never leaving his litter box on his own. I had to take him out of it twice a day for 8 months to make sure he drank water. It took him 13 months to feel confident enough to jump onto a box directly beside the litter box, but he never willingly touched the floor. Now, seeing my playful, curious lovebirds in that same state worries me and breaks my heart. Could they be too traumatized from moving? Or should I just give them more time?

How large is the new area? As they adjust, it's a good idea to have a quite limited space. This makes it easier for them to "feel safe" in their new home.

Even with a smaller space, I wouldn't expect much for the first several days at least (depending on the bun, of course).

When we would move, I'd confine the buns to their cage for the first week or two. This gave them time to get used to all the new sights, sounds, smells, and 'usual' activity around their enclosure. Small equals secure in their little brains. Once they seem more adjusted, their space can be expanded.

It might be helpful to take some time to just sit there by them too. Your familiar presence might be enough to help them feel safe. And covering their cage or pen with a sheet can help add to their sense of security. One other thing that could be a contributor is if your new place has slippery floors. If so, providing a mat or rabbit safe rug will help with that.

It's also important to make sure they're eating and drinking ok while they're adjusting. More than 24 hours without sufficient intake risks GI stasis occurring.

Back