Rabbits don’t like me...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellie90212

Reaction score
So I have two rabbits I got in April, they’re about 4 months old and are brothers. Whenever I move or go near them they run away. When I put them back in their cage they scratch the absolute hell out of you and do whenever you pick them up. They won’t take food from your hand or let you touch them. I’ve tried bonding with them but they’re still the same as when I first got them. Any advice?

Well, patience.

Anyway, most rabbits hate to be picked up, if you really must do it always give a treat right after the ordeal. I still get bitten and need a thick sweater to not loose blood, but at least they don't hold a grudge. I would not carry them to and fro between a run and cage, but use tunnles (I use big cardboard rolls, and square ones made from wood boards). I use their pellets as treats, before giving them any I always shake the pail, that helps a lot to make them go where I want them to.

Both males, and not neutered yet? That too can contribute to problems, when there are tensions because of puberty going into full swing now and male hormones constantly roaring at them their brains could be quite occupied with that, leaving little space to think about you.
Two males is the most difficult combination, not even talking about intact ones, you'll have to be vigilant for tensions building up when hormones kick in, a fight can damage chances of bonding them permanently, even if you have them neutered later. I guess most would advice to seperate them now, have them neutered, and try to bond them 6 weeks later once hormones faded out. (no guarantee that this works out though). I have no experience with bonding males so better listen to others on thatb topic.

Also, not all rabbits are cuddly, A 6yo doe of mine still very rarely allows me to touch her. Small steps, treats and patience work most times, but be sure you don't have wrong expecations about rabbits.

Well, patience.

Anyway, most rabbits hate to be picked up, if you really must do it always give a treat right after the ordeal. I still get bitten and need a thick sweater to not loose blood, but at least they don't hold a grudge. I would not carry them to and fro between a run and cage, but use tunnles (I use big cardboard rolls, and square ones made from wood boards). I use their pellets as treats, before giving them any I always shake the pail, that helps a lot to make them go where I want them to.

Both males, and not neutered yet? That too can contribute to problems, when there are tensions because of puberty going into full swing now and male hormones constantly roaring at them their brains could be quite occupied with that, leaving little space to think about you.
Two males is the most difficult combination, not even talking about intact ones, you'll have to be vigilant for tensions building up when hormones kick in, a fight can damage chances of bonding them permanently, even if you have them neutered later. I guess most would advice to seperate them now, have them neutered, and try to bond them 6 weeks later once hormones faded out. (no guarantee that this works out though). I have no experience with bonding males so better listen to others on thatb topic.

Also, not all rabbits are cuddly, A 6yo doe of mine still very rarely allows me to touch her. Small steps, treats and patience work most times, but be sure you don't have wrong expecations about rabbits.
With each other they’re lovely, they cuddle up with each other, chase each other round and don’t leave each other’s side, it’s just with people they’re not a fan. They won’t take treats off you as I’ve tried using treats as a way to get them back in without having to pick them up but they just aren’t interested in them. I was wondering if them not being interested was just because they are still quite young?

You got the rabbits in April? So it can still be early for them to get used to you. You are a new "rabbit" to them and they're keeping their distance for a reason. When you're around them, don't try to grab them or pick them up. You know yourself that you won't hurt them, but they don't understand that yet. Instead, sit or lay on the floor and just hang out. Read a book, watch TV, or whatever else, just let them come to you. Let them be curious about this "new rabbit". This can take some time, and you need to be patient. I know they're super cute but it's crucial for you to not rush the bond you would potentially have with them. Once they can see that you're not a danger, you can slowly give them treats or veggies in your hand. Then work your way into petting them while they eat. My rabbit for instance is very food driven and will do just about anything for a pellet.

Every rabbit can act differently. Some are cuddly, some are not and some are more stubborn than others. Also, the fact that they are only 4 months old means that hormones will kick in and their personalities can change again. Unfortunately there's no way to speed up time, but just know that in the end it'll be worth it. Don't give up! My rabbit for instance, will allow me to hold her for a few seconds because she knows that she'll receive a pellet afterwards. She won't come sit in my lap and cuddle though. Meanwhile, my ex, she'll come sit in his lap and cuddle but she doesn't like when he picks her up.

Honestly I wouldn’t worry. My rabbit was same at the beginning, hated me😕, I couldn’t even hold her or cuddle her. They just need more time but I do understand your feeling coz they are babies now and you just want to show them your love.🙂

For starters, you absolutely must stop picking them up to put them back in the cage. Continuing to do this will sabotage any progress you may make with bonding. You are basically training them to fear and resent you.

Even rabbits that are ok with being picked up, do not appreciate being forced to a different location. They run from you because they fear you will grab them, pick them up and make them go somewhere they may not want to go. They don't know that you are just trying to pet them. They remember that those hands pick them up when they don't want to be picked up.

They are about the age where hormones may start influencing them as well. That can make them grumpy and less likely to want any attention. It can be extremely difficult to make bonding progress with a hormonal rabbit, so don't be discouraged.

The key to bonding (aside from not picking them up anymore) is to sit with them in a limited area (like an ex-pen) and ignore them. As others have mentioned, you want your rabbits to approach you (not the other way around). When they get over the fact that you were the one picking them up, they will come near you to investigate. When they do, ignore them... at least for days of this. This is how you begin to build a trust. You can read more detail and the next steps here:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html
How do you get them back in their cage if you can't pick them up?? That is also explained on the same link.

You'll need patience for sure.

Also be sure to keep an eye out, as others have warned, for signs of aggression between the two rabbits. Even the cuddliest of rabbit pairs may suddenly turn on each other with the onset of hormones. These fights can be vicious (even deadly), so do keep an eye out for that and be prepared to separate them if that occurs.

Latest posts

Back