Rabbits are eating their new litter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pani

Bunny servant Lotte
Reaction score
I switched Felix and Clementine's litter to a recycled paper litter, after seeing how popular they are here. For a while they were it fine, no problem at all, but tonight after I cleaned and refiled their litter boxes they both started munching on the litter. Is this normal/dangerous? I removed Clementine's box since she's only in a temporary home until tomorrow (when the new hutch finally arrives) and she's not really trained yet anyway, but kept Felix's in since he didn't seem to be quite as into eating the litter as Clementine, and he's good with his box habits.

This is the brand I'm using currently. Is it okay for them to have a little nibble at this stuff, seeing as it's 100% recycled biodegradable paper, or could it possibly cause GI problems? Clementine was sitting in front of her tray munching away, but Felix only seemed to have a couple of nibbles then switched to his hay.

A little nibble is probably fine, but I don't think munching on it is a good idea. Though it isn't toxic, I would be concerned about too much being ingested and causing digestive problems. You could try covering it with a layer of hay, but if that doesn't work, using a safe wood pellet litter might be better.

Latest posts

Back