Rabbits and Sunlight?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our kids never go outside...ever...

Too many predators in our neck of the woods...we have them in rooms with big windows that are open 24/7 in the summer (so the glass is out of the way of the sunlight)...we free feed loads of varied veggies and pellets as well...I have SAD and I know how important Vitamin D is...but there are other ways to provide it without them going outdoors!

It gives me the chills just thinking about it!
Raccoons, possums, skunks, coopers hawks, red-tailed hawks, neighbourhood cats, dogs (yes they get in our backyard from time to time too) as well as an extremely stupid neighbour who is NOT above messing with my bunns!:grumpy:

In the spring, Summer, and Fall, my buns are outside from morning until the sun goes down. But as long as their diet is fortified, Lulu should be okay.

bearbop wrote:
i feel that rabbits should be outside once a day, sunlight is a good form of vitamin d and they enjoy being out there
Even in the winter? I guess what I mean to ask is, what would be a safe temperature range? I can see having them out in the summer, but at what point would it be "too cold" ?

It depends on what your rabbit is used to, if they live out all year they'll be better placed to cope with low temperatures. Mine were putting up with about -6oC a couple of weeks ago. My little housebun wouldn't (despite being a wild rabbit) because he won't have developed the winter coat for it.

tamsin wrote:
It depends on what your rabbit is used to, if they live out all year they'll be better placed to cope with low temperatures. Mine were putting up with about -6oC a couple of weeks ago. My little housebun wouldn't (despite being a wild rabbit) because he won't have developed the winter coat for it.
all my exotics are at room temperature.24/7--it helps in diagnosing problems easier and sooner....sincerely james waller:wave::rose::bunnydance:

It always makes me laugh that they class rabbits as exotics when the exact same species (in the UK) is running around outside in fields.

I'm not sure temperature is so much an important factor in diagnosing illness as much as the fact people tend to spend more time with rabbits kept inside.

tamsin wrote:
It always makes me laugh that they class rabbits as exotics when the exact same species (in the UK) is running around outside in fields.

I'm not sure temperature is so much an important factor in diagnosing illness as much as the fact people tend to spend more time with rabbits kept inside.
once upon a time,rabbits were hunted and killed like rats,,then one day someone said they are-not rats,,some people didnot listen--,exotic means of foreign origin or character,,unusual-ie.rare-animal.??-we do have a speicie of cottontail and released domestic,,acouple which i have trapped and rehabbing.//.environmental factors have always decided the fate of any species,,unable to adapt,means extinction...watch the weather ,it is more irratic,,global warming will make more species extinct in the 21st century than in any previous century in history of man..,and if we cannot adapt to what is coming--guess what---mass extinction..itis highly improbable that 6.5 billion people will survive---:pink iris::tears2::p.james waller

i would not take my bun outside. i live more in the country-ish area. there's a dog breeder who lets their australian shepherds loose next door, there's stray cats always coming over from the house across the street and next door, and plus we have a ton of hawks! i would not risk it. i'm sure solara wouldn't like it either though =P she really doesnt like new things + she likes it inside :) its warm inside, unlike outside lol.

i should addthough, that i have 4 windows in my room, and they all can open in the summer, spring, and fall, so solara can get direct sunlight! (she hasn't experienced spring or summer yet! she's still young x)) soyeah, it gets very bright in my room. even in winter (though i can't open the windows then). so she DOES get sunlight. just not outside where all the dangers are!

james waller wrote:
tamsin wrote:
all my exotics are at room temperature.24/7--it helps in diagnosing problems easier and sooner....sincerely james waller:wave::rose::bunnydance:
a animal at room temprature is not as apt to get sick,as a critter subject to the harsh elements--hopefully this corrects the above statement.,,james waller

tonyshuman wrote:
I agree, don't overdo it on the vitamins. However, if you're not feeding pellets, or your bunny develops a calcium metabolism problem (bladder/kidney stones, bladder sludge), it's something to think about.
Ditto this. It took about4 years of Chase being off pellets before she got bladder stones and sludge.Putting her back on pellets has cured both. We are guessing it is the vitamin D but are not positive since you can't check a rabbits vitamin D levels.

Latest posts

Back