Rabbits and Sunlight?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luluznewz

Reaction score
So instead of hijacking someone elses thread I started my own. I saw something about rabbits being kept in a basement, and people were concerned they arnt getting enough light.

One person said that that if light is filtered through a window it doesnt really count. So I understand this, I know that plants need direct light and animals do too.

But now im worried. I never really thought about that as a concern for Lulu. She doesnt really ever go outside. When I'm at my parents house I set up a pen on the lawn, but its rare.

Do you all really take your inside bunnies outside all the time? I feel really bad. I can't really do that with Lulu because I dont have a yard. One of the reasons I got a rabbit instead of another pet was I thought I would be okay to have them in an apartment. Advice?

I will never take my bun outside. I'm just nervous and don't trust that a dog or cat won't come bolting out of nowhere. I don't think it's at all necessary to take a bunny outside. I'm sure many bunnies appreciate it of course, but your bunny won't be any less happy or healthy because you don't take her out.

Also, bunnies can use calcium without vitamin D so I don't think getting direct sunlight would be the most important thing in the world. People require extra vitamin D because it's important in the use of calcium in the body. As long as your bun isn't shut away in a closet or windowless room, it'll be fine.

It usually doesn't come up, unless your bunnies don't get enough dietary vitamin D. My guys don't go outside, maybe 3x a year they go out. They get pellets with a good amount of vitamin D, and they do fine. Some bunnies seem to be predisposed for something similar to Metabolic Bone Disease seen in other species. It's a disease where calcium metabolism is defective and the body actually starts breaking down the bones and excreting lots of calcium in the urine. It appears that additional vitamin D helps with this problem, so bunnies with it may benefit from going outside or getting a pellet high in vit D.

I wouldn't worry about it unless your bun starts to show signs of urinary problems/bladder sludge/stones in the urinary tract. That said, a little time in the sun isn't bad, it's just not absolutely necessary. In an apartment, you can still take them outside sometimes, or open the window and let unfiltered sunlight in, but it's not a big deal.

If you think about it, people in the northern climates (like me) go for months without spending any appreciable time outside, and when they are outside, only a little bit of their body is uncovered. My doctor told me to take a vitamin D supplement because my vit D was low, but not everybody who lives here does that, and most people are fine.

I use a few full spectrum lightbulbs in our house. It makes a huge difference for my plants, and I like them for myself as well as our pets. I also use the full spectrum bulbs in the rabbitry.

Luluznewz wrote:
So instead of hijacking someone elses thread I started my own. I saw something about rabbits being kept in a basement, and people were concerned they arnt getting enough light.

One person said that that if light is filtered through a window it doesnt really count. So I understand this, I know that plants need direct light and animals do too.

But now im worried. I never really thought about that as a concern for Lulu. She doesnt really ever go outside. When I'm at my parents house I set up a pen on the lawn, but its rare.

Do you all really take your inside bunnies outside all the time? I feel really bad. I can't really do that with Lulu because I dont have a yard. One of the reasons I got a rabbit instead of another pet was I thought I would be okay to have them in an apartment. Advice?
sure started a firestorm,,but ,,yes--people need to be aware sunlight for critters,,as well as ourselves,,trees,plants gather sunlight and through a process called photosynthesis,produce oxygen--which is a nice payoff,..we -humans have good and bad colesterol,,the good colesterol is converted by sunlight through our skin into vitamin D--.//.true we do feed a small portion of digestible fiber(pellets)-which is for nutrition and vitamins,-(lack of sunlight),--,in this thread there are good suggestions--which are the full spectrum bulbs for indoor-rabbit-housing,,these are fluorescent tubes-there is a distance factor,whereas the effect diminishes...if taken outside to play,dig,eat,please supervise,,and be aware of parasites/insects...sincerely james waller:wave::rose::bunnydance:

Not all pellets have proper supplements. There are several elements that are necessary for proper health. Vitamin D (especially D3) and phosphorus are vital in the absorbing on nutrients including calcium. The idea that a rabbit's diet should not have calcium is old school. This lack of calcium can lead to long term health problems.....and a misdiagnosis. Many dental issues can be traced back to MBD. And the diagnosis of "arthritis" in rabbits is actually MBD. And Pam's comment on using full spectrum lighting is excellent advice. Same as with reptiles and reef aquariums. We use these lights when we have to "winter" wildlife in captivity.

Randy

I grew up in Portland Oregon, and the "Seasonal Depression" that happens there is off the charts as you do not get enough sun-light (it's grey, cloudy and rainyfor 9 months a year - I moved to Los Angeles and do not miss the rain whatsoever). I personally think its very important to allow your pets to get direct sunlight. I'm better in the bright sunshine than when I stay inside for a weekend.

Also appreciate that an animal is being well loved, but that you might not have the means to give this to them daily/weekly etc. Its a balance you must find so that you both have the best life "possible".

Great question by the way..

I think that the issue is more about keeping the rabbit's circadian rhythm on time than Vitamin D, which they get from pellets. As long as the room is lit with some kind of lighting (artificial counts) for 10-12 hours then the buns should be fine.

Randy, what about spondylosis? That is a form of arthritis, but it has abnormal bone growth/bone spurs. Is that a metabolic bone disease as well?

PLEASE everybody note that too much Vitamin D can be as detrimental (if not moreso) than not enough.

You can't overdose on Vitamin D from the sun or from natural foods, but you can OD on supplements.

If your rabbits aren't getting sun, just make sure they are getting a few pellets. Very little Vitamin D is required. Almost all commercial pellets brands are sufficient.

Avoid supplements! And don't 'bake' your rabbits!

sas :D

Not sure if it helps, but my buns don't go outside (it's winter for one lol, and I don't think i really want them outside with all the things that could happen!), but I have certain times when I have the curtains off the windows.

This is the sunlight schedule (even when it's cloudy) 7 am until it gets dark. It also helps them with their feeding and when they come out of their cages to play schedules too.

They also get some pellets that have Vitamin D in it too.

:)

pamnock wrote:
I use a few full spectrum lightbulbs in our house. It makes a huge difference for my plants, and I like them for myself as well as our pets. I also use the full spectrum bulbs in the rabbitry.

Full spectrum light bulbs? I feel dumb asking, but what are these? Thank you :)

The-Family-O wrote:
pamnock wrote:

for overhead fixtures,,looks like a standard fluorescent tube 40watt cool white/warm white,,but then stipulates broad band or spectrum..blue/green/red-uv rays..sincerely james waller:wave::rose:

Curious as to why when studies have been done with people who work 18 hour days under flourescent lights, are suggested to not be "healthy" that anyone could suggest the animals could be healthy under the same stimuli?

Maybe the lights that have been suggested are not just "flourescent" and are better?

Again, just curious to what I may not know. I've been in both worlds and have to say I feel much better exposed to sunlight.

Some full spectrum lights (not all) include UVB (what you get from sunlight for making D3). Normal florecents used in house/office lighting don't put this out. They are usually sold for reptiles.

Glass cuts out virtually all uv light so house rabbits in a big windowed room would get no more benefit than a house rabbit in an artificially lit room.

Like Pipp said unless your feeding a totally pellet free diet or you've found an otherwise excellent brand of pellet with no D3 it shouldn't be an issue.

james waller wrote:
The-Family-O wrote:
pamnock wrote:

for overhead fixtures,,looks like a standard fluorescent tube 40watt cool white/warm white,,but then stipulates broad band or spectrum..blue/green/red-uv rays..sincerely james waller:wave::rose:

oh neat!
i saw some at the store the other day, we will have to see about getting some.
Thank you!

i feel that rabbits should be outside once a day, sunlight is a good form of vitamin d and they enjoy being out there

I hope to get a full-spectrum bulb soon for my indoor plants. I also have been taking a vitamin D3 supplement myself. I know of a bunny that was on a pellet-free diet that developed bladder sludge, and after lots and lots of treatments to get things back to normal, the owner added back pellets to her diet--Oxbow Organic Timothy. She has been sludge-free for quite a while now!

I agree, don't overdo it on the vitamins. However, if you're not feeding pellets, or your bunny develops a calcium metabolism problem (bladder/kidney stones, bladder sludge), it's something to think about.

Latest posts

Back