Rabbits and Rabies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MyBoyHarper wrote:
I found two pics of rabbits that much be related to Tank! I think the second one IS Tank!!

Tank's brother:

evilrabbit.jpg

Tank:

evilrabbit2.jpg

Oh my gosh! I cracked up so bad when I saw that little black lop! The caption was great, too. It reminds me of this pic my Hubby found on the net and sent me, I have to attach it now, so you all can see it! ROFL!

LOL! I saw that dog too! I was laughing for like half hour! Do you know what else cracks meup.. the duck on the emoticons.. it looks so serious and clueless! LOL I can't go 30 seconds looking at it withouit bursting out laughing.. Ok back to Tank! :D

:duck:.... :rofl:

Spring wrote:
LOL! I saw that dog too! I was laughing for like half hour! Do you know what else cracks meup.. the duck on the emoticons.. it looks so serious and clueless! LOL I can't go 30 seconds looking at it withouit bursting out laughing.. Ok back to Tank! :D

:duck:.... :rofl:

Ah yes.....The Duck!!

;)

While I have not had this happen with a rabbit I have had several pit bull biting sugar gliders. We like to call them fuzzy cobras.

I just wanted add to the ideas already posted that you are giving him too much space. While I understand the concept of bunnies needing freedom and exercice I also understand the feeling an animal must have when presented with the big world for the first time.

It's kind of like a person adjusting after having been in prison, it's not easy and a lot are so uncomfortable they end up doing bad things to get them back in.

Please keep in mind I've never dealt with an insane bunny when I suggest the following. This is, however, how I won over a very scared and un-socialized sugar glider. This glider was neutered.

In the beggining I couldn't walk past the cage without him crabbing at me. Crabbing is the angry/warning sound sugar gliders make. So I left him alone, just feeding and watering and not bothering him much. When he stopped crabbing every time I walked by I'd talk to him and drop treats into his pouch. My sugar gliders sleep in fleece pouches. I did not invade his space, and I don't say that as if you have... it just something I avoided. As time went on he'd come to the top of the cage to get his treats faster. He always came to me, I still didn't invade his area. After this I'd take his pouch out of his cage and hold the top closed (so he didn't understand we'de moved through so much space) and take him into a two man pop up tent. Here I'd give him treats (he was used to coming to the top of the cage at this point) and he'd wander around the small confined tent area.

All of this happened with various bites, but for the most part he ended up slowly learning to trust people. I bonded him to a female and ended up selling them to a lovely young lady. What was funny was while I was the one who taught him to trust people he never really seemed to LIKE me. He did, however, very much like the girl who got him from me, and he is a happy, healthy, socialized glider now.

Some points I've addressed have already been talked about but I think, if it were me, I'd start by backing up to the beggining. I understand he was abused and you want to give him the good bunny life, but it doesn't sound like he is ready for that yet, and he's taking his fear and frustration out on you.

I hope something here helps you and I think you are an angel to have kept trying with him :)

How's da Tank doin today?:?

Chainsaw, oh...I mean Binkie, gave me the tiniest kiss last night. I think she may have forgotten who she was for a moment.

Thanks for the advice Suger Glider. I have been cutting back on his time out of the cage A LOT since I first started posting. And now when I let him out, i only let him out in the "bunny bedroom" (with the other bunnies caged up of course) and i dont let him roam the entire house anymore. And guess what....

I'VE FINALLY MADE SOME PROGRESS!!!

Last night i put his cage in the bunny room and opened the door, he jumped out of the cageand started exploring. I took the cage back in the kitchen and started cleaning it out, refilling food, etc. Then I prepped myself to go back in the room to put him back in his cage. When I opened the door, to my surprise he didnt charge at me! He was just laying down relaxing. I walked over slowly expecting him to attack at any moment. He didn't!! Then, i got real daring and put my hand out to pet him on the head. He let me!! I did about4 strokes on his head and then stopped cuz my heart was racing cuz I wasn't sure if he would attack soon. Then I picked him up and there wasn't any struggle. I placed him back in his cage and he put his paws up against the cage and looked at me. So I got daring again and patted his head again through the cage and he didn't try to bite!!! I really think that sleeping right next to his cage on the floor every night for the past week is helping!!! HURRAY!!!:jumpforjoy:

JimD- congrats on your bunny kiss from Chainsaw!!

Laura wrote:
Oh, that is WONDERFUL!!!

This news just made my day!

There IS hope for Tank!

:elephant:
Yea, i was thrilled. Too bad im gonna need a chiropractor now from sleeping on the dang floor for so long. ;)

I sleep with my head RIGHT next to his cage. And when I wake up, I've been baby talking him and giving him a little treat. I'm so happy to finally see some progress!

Yay! That's fantastic! He's not so bad afterall, is he? :D Just needs some time to get used to you.I'm so happy! Wayto go Tanky boy! :D

:woohoo

I sooooooo agree - I think you are being quite unrealistic in your thinking here - perhaps you should talk to someone about this - like real perfesional help?

flemishgrl wrote:
I sooooooo agree - I think you are being quite unrealistic in your thinking here - perhaps you should talk to someone about this - like real perfesional help?

Well, I didn't really understand your meaning to this. Tego is doing a FANTASTIC job getting Tanky friendly, and I respect her for not just giving him away because he was hard to deal with. How is she being unrealist?! She could have dumped him on the side of the road and left him..

:?

Back