Rabbits and Horses

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They must be similar because when the vet called the lab about Iszy's diagnosis, she asked it Iszy was a HORSE! :D

What about teeth? Do horses' teeth continuously grow?

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
As for the horse that trampled me, he was a spoiled rottenhorse. I was 14 at the time he trampled me and all I did was go tocollect a feed bucket from his field. That could have happened to anyof the lesson kids that had to get a horse from that pasture and had itbeen one of the 8 year olds, it could have been a lot worse. I wasstepped on in the side, no damage was done but imagine what could havebeen done. i don't know what you consider dangerous but a horsetramping you for nothing and charging at others is what I'd considerdangerous.
I'm really surprised they were giving lessons and housing racehorses. That seems a little irresponsible on the part of thestable owner. Race horses aren't gelded and all stallionstend to rear and kick if they feel threatened, whether they arethreatened or not. I've think I've just had differentexperiences. I've taught lessons and I've never made astudent get a horse from the pasture for just that reason, you know,just in case... I have experienced a couple of horses whofelt the need to charge their stall doors whenever someone wentpast. It got pretty bad. They were a danger becausethey also tried to bite. Again, this was solved by closingthe tops of their stalls, so they couldn't bite. They wereopen at night when no one was around. Again, it was theresponsibility of the stable owner to protect the other boarders andany students. I feel bad for you, that must have been a badexperience, but I don't necessarily feel it was the horse's fault, butmore the part of the horse/stable owner who should have known that thiscould happen and prevented it. I would have felt completelyresponsible if I had sent you in there or been the stable owner of ifit were my horse.

Lissa: Horses' teeth can wear strangely. They canget to the point where a horse can't eat. They may growcontinuously too, but I don't know...I don't think so...I can't seem tothink right now (lack of sleep) LOL. Anyway, their teeth aretaken care of a few times a year, depending on the vet and thehorse. They are "floated", which is really just a nice wordfor filed.

Jen

cirrustwi wrote:
Lissa: Horses' teeth can wear strangely.They can get to the point where a horse can't eat. They maygrow continuously too, but I don't know...I don't think so...I can'tseem to think right now (lack of sleep) LOL. Anyway, theirteeth are taken care of a few times a year, depending on the vet andthe horse. They are "floated", which is really just a niceword for filed.

Jen

You're right, Jen! As noted by Pamnock in anotherpost:"Horse's molars do not growcontinually throughout its life, unlike those of rabbits whichcontinually grow and wear off. So, they are not suitable foran indicator of age. Pam"

Thank you for your thorough explanation to my question. :)

-Carolyn

There are two sets of molars that continue toerupt throughout most of the horses adult life (the second set slowlypushes the first set out). (Horses have baby teeth andpermanent teeth, just like we do). Oncethe second set wears down, the horse will have difficulty chewing itsfood. (Modern care allows the horse to live a longer life than itsteeth were intended to).

The molars can develop painful "spurs" (sharp points) that need to befiled down. We had it done with our horses once ayear. The process of filing the teeth is called "floating".

Pam

cirrustwi wrote:
MyBunnyBoys wrote:
As for thehorse that trampled me, he was a spoiled rotten horse. I was 14 at thetime he trampled me and all I did was go to collect a feed bucket fromhis field. That could have happened to any of the lesson kids that hadto get a horse from that pasture and had it been one of the 8 yearolds, it could have been a lot worse. I was stepped on in the side, nodamage was done but imagine what could have been done. i don't knowwhat you consider dangerous but a horse tramping you for nothing andcharging at others is what I'd consider dangerous.
I'm really surprised they were giving lessons and housing racehorses. That seems a little irresponsible on the part of thestable owner. Race horses aren't gelded and all stallionstend to rear and kick if they feel threatened, whether they arethreatened or not. I've think I've just had differentexperiences. I've taught lessons and I've never made astudent get a horse from the pasture for just that reason, you know,just in case... I have experienced a couple of horses whofelt the need to charge their stall doors whenever someone wentpast. It got pretty bad. They were a danger becausethey also tried to bite. Again, this was solved by closingthe tops of their stalls, so they couldn't bite. They wereopen at night when no one was around. Again, it was theresponsibility of the stable owner to protect the other boarders andany students. I feel bad for you, that must have been a badexperience, but I don't necessarily feel it was the horse's fault, butmore the part of the horse/stable owner who should have known that thiscould happen and prevented it. I would have felt completelyresponsible if I had sent you in there or been the stable owner of ifit were my horse.

Lissa: Horses' teeth can wear strangely. They canget to the point where a horse can't eat. They may growcontinuously too, but I don't know...I don't think so...I can't seem tothink right now (lack of sleep) LOL. Anyway, their teeth aretaken care of a few times a year, depending on the vet and thehorse. They are "floated", which is really just a nice wordfor filed.

Jen
I agree with Cirrus , why wereoboth being done in the sameplace ?? that is rather strange. I do believe everyone of usHorse poeple have horrorstories about horses ,

One time I had gotten in a very abusedracehorse lip tattoo and all , she gota smell of a kill ( someonehad hung a deer to drain out )she dragged me litterally up and downmy driveway for what seemed like forever, I was finally able to getinto a position where icould stop her ,, battered bruisedbleedin cussing andsniveling I brought her back into thebarn , that dang horse had 1000 lbs onme lil To say I was flopping inthe breeze is mildly stated lol . LOL ,went and got a Stallion chainfor a Dam lol it was the only wayto controll her , a bit offtopic but poor thingfrom years of abuse had developeda brain tumor , Broke myheart when the Vetsaid she would be betteroff downed , I cried for days .

I have also been Bulldozed thrua stall door , By a Paint 1/4 horse ,that was fun, fractured cheek bone broken nose,cuncussion . . Still all in allI would rather to Wrestlethem than run and hide froma 5 lb furr ball with razorsharp teeth and a bad attitude ,

pamnock wrote:
There are two sets of molars that continue to eruptthroughout most of the horses adult life (the second set slowly pushesthe first set out). (Horses have baby teeth and permanentteeth, just like we do). Once the secondset wears down, the horse will have difficulty chewing its food.(Modern care allows the horse to live a longer life than its teeth wereintended to).

The molars can develop painful "spurs" (sharp points) that need to befiled down. We had it done with our horses once ayear. The process of filing the teeth is called "floating".

Pam
Oh, like how rabbits get spurs on there teeth? The molars are'floated' to that the horses have an even grinding surface?All horses don't get spurs, right?

Jenniblu wrote:

Oh, like how rabbits get spurs on there teeth? The molars are'floated' to that the horses have an even grinding surface?All horses don't get spurs, right?

Yes, like the rabbits sometimes get spurs. Not all horses getspurs on their teeth. You can test for wear on the horse'steeth by grasping the bottom jaw and move it back and forth sideways tosee if the teeth catch on each other. The spurs can bepainful and cut the tongue or cheeks.

Because of an abnormal jaw angle, my 15 year old son's back molars haveworn down completelyto the gum. He's got expensivebraces on now, and the dentist said the surgery to correct the jawangle is $40,000.:shock: Think things will have tostay just the way they are!

Pam

Carolyn wrote:
When a horse has a blockage, how do you treat it?

-Carolyn

We generally didn't have problems at home with colic because we neverhad more than 4 horses at a time. Viral illnesses are farmore common at stables where horses are more likely to be exposed topathogens that they don't have an immunity to.

At the stable I worked at, we would occasionally have a horse colic or go off feed in the spring or late fall.

The vet would come out, proclaim it to be a virus, give the horse a fluand pain shot. Tube oil into their stomach and manually reachin from behind to remove feces. This generally got the horsesright back on track and eating again. In rarecases, colic/GI stasis can be fatal in horses, just like in rabbits.

Pam

Thanks Pam!! I couldn't think of howto describe the teeth. LOL I knew what I wanted tosay, just not how to say it.

I've seen one case of colic. It was pretty bad. Thehorse had some sort of treatment that day...I can't remember what itwas (not my horse). The vet had warned that it might causecolic and stayed around for hours. He decided she was fineand had her turned out to pasture so she would keep moving.About an hour later, she was flat on her side with her legs straightout -- a definite sign of colic. We got her up and called thevet back...It wasn't fun.

Jen

I sincerely appreciate the feedback I'm getting in this thread. I'm learning more than I expected to.

:)

-Carolyn

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
gypsy wrote:
While thisis true, I have beenaround Horses all my life, thetruly only Dangerous ones were the oneswho came into Rescuebadley abused andneglected. Ocassionally I would getone in who for noapparent reason was just plainMean, but they are few and far between.
To me, the most dangerous horses are the racehorses. They are so highstrung and have no respect for the person on the gound. Many times I'vehad to dodge a rearing racehorses hooves or teeth. But by far I'd saythe most dangerous are racehorse stallions, they have a stallion attideon top of a racehorse attitude. I was also once trampled by a 3 yearold warmblood in his field, his hoof was an inch from my stepping on myhead. I would consider that horse dangerous because he could havekilled me had he stepped on my head.
Flight orfight: I would ratherdeal with an 1,100 lb horse thana tweaked off 5 lb rabbit, the horse iseasier to control.
As I said before, I was trampled, I'd much rather deal with a 5 lbs rabbit than an angry 1300 lbs horse.
Ask Pam aboutbeing rode rough shod over byangry Little fuzzy bunnys ,Im sure more than one has beensent to a Hospital by less than15 pounds of fr andteeth .

About the race horse thing, i ride at stables asi'm not allowed a horse..:Xand i've ridden an ex-racehorsealot of times. He was gelded and was fine to ride although being athoroughbred he was tempremental sometimes and was weird about horsesbehind him, if they got within about 2 meters of him he would kickthem. He was sweet tho and used to love it when i scratched his ears.He was also an ex steeple chaser so he was great to do show jumping on,he even jumped over some trotting poles when i was warming up once!lol. Racehorses can be nice really!:D

gypsy wrote:
an angry 1300 lbs horse.
Ask Pam about beingrode rough shod over by angryLittle fuzzy bunnys , Imsure more than one has been sent toa Hospital by less than 15pounds of fr and teeth .
I did chuckle when I saw the post about horses being moredangerous. Yes -- many judges have taken trips to thehospital to get stitched up.

I had a huge Checkered Giant doe lunge at me and bite through my heavycoat. It did leave a nice bruise -- would have left a nicesized hole if I didn't have the coat on. Certainly taught menever to take my eyes off them!

Pam

Must a been my sister Cleowho put thatother stuff, but anyways, my TB mare who is an ex racehorse was usedfor 3 day before I got her, and she loves to jump. TBS are hot horsesand Sarah was very spooky but was awesome.

FrenchLopGirl1280 wrote:
Must a been my sister Cleowho put that otherstuff, but anyways, my TB mare who is an ex racehorse was used for 3day before I got her, and she loves to jump. TBS are hot horses andSarah was very spooky but was awesome.
YouTwo Girls need to sort outwho is posting on whoseaccount, It gets very confusingas to who one is talking too . Please Postunder YOUR OWN names from here out, It gets rather annoyingto read something , respond to it, then find out HEY!it must have been mysister again . that doesnt Fly. Fiogure it out and use yourown accounts Thanks .:pinkpansy:

:bunnydance: for Gomer and Cleo's Mom.

Interesting...

My boss has two horses, and she and her husband are teaching my youngersister all about the care and keeping of horses. Hannah will often comehome with a new fact or anecdote about horse health, and I'm reallyamazed at how similar to rabbits they are.

~Emily and the Fuzzbutts~

I just want to say we have a retired racehorse[standardbred, the kind that are driven not rode}He is an angel,very easy to work with and very calm.i put kids on this horse.moststandard breds have good temperments.they are not the same breed thatis ridden those are thoroughbreds.my sisters husband is a trainer.thesehorses sometimes need homes when they are done racing.bluebird

Latest posts

Back