Rabbit won't eat pellets or hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rissyree22

Reaction score
I just adopted a 10 month old male rabbit about a week ago and he will not eat any hay or pellets. I have a bag of pellets that he was eating at the adoption center and I bought another bag after 2 days when I noticed he wasn't eating the ones I had. I mixed a little bit of the two together and he didn't eat either of them. I then just put some of the new one in a bowl and he wouldn't eat that either. I also received a big bag of hay when I got him and he won't eat any of that either. He is a picky eater, when I got him I was told he doesn't like kale, any sort of lettuce, or broccoli stems. He does like bananas, apples, and strawberries. I have an appointment at the vet for him next weekend, should I take him in sooner? I am worried that he is not eating the pellets or the hay. I give him a small piece of either banana or a quarter of a strawberry in the evening but thats all I have seen him eat. I also have been changing his hay out daily but he doesn't seem to eat it either way.

Any feedback is welcome! Thank you

Have you tried some Romaine or Collard greens? My boy is very picky as well but likes both of those a lot. Also, was he in a pair when you adopted him? Did you get any background on him when you adopted him?

If he's not eating and it's been more than 12 hours, he really needs to be seen by a rabbit savvy vet right away. A rabbit not eating for more than 12-24 hours is considered an emergency, as they can develop GI stasis and go downhill quickly. The vet may give you some meds to help him and a syringe feeding mix to keep him hydrated and nourished until he starts eating again on his own.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Those fruits are all quite soft, and would be easier to eat than pellets or hay - it could be a dental issue or some sort of mouth pain preventing him eating hay and pellets. Either way, like jbun said you need to see a vet ASAP

He was not in a pair when I adopted him. I did get him to eat some cabbage and carrots last night. He has been loving his chewing blocks. I took him to the vet and they said everything looked normal. He is just being very picky about what he wants to eat. The vet said this is normal when moving to a new home especially since he was fairly picky before I got him.

Thank you all for the help!

He has been loving his chewing blocks. I took him to the vet and they said everything looked normal. He is just being very picky about what he wants to eat. The vet said this is normal when moving to a new home especially since he was fairly picky before I got him.

What are you using for chewing blocks? Are you referring to those mineral blocks? This is what Woodcroft Veterinary Group says:
Allow your rabbit to have fresh greens daily and avoid mineral supplement blocks for them to gnaw on. These are unnecessary for rabbits fed a balanced diet and do not promote correct dental wear, and can cause other health problems.

It is possible that the supplement block is discouraging him from eating the pellets and/or the hay. I would take it away. If he's getting his minerals from the chew block, then he may not feel a desire for the pellets.

Since he isn't eating the pellets anyway, I would use this opportunity to get a good brand/type if you don't already have a good one. What type/brand do you have on hand?

I'd also suggest adding hay to his cage a couple times per day -- whether or not he has eaten what is already in there. The act of adding fresh hay often encourages hay eating. If that doesn't work, then there are many types of grass hay to try. Bermuda, orchard and meadow are just some of those possibilities.

Once he starts eating hay and pellets, I would suggest trying some of those greens they said he does not like. They may be wrong or he may decide to try them. It can take more than one introduction of a particular green before a rabbit decides to try it. (Of course only try one type at a time.)

Thank you!

They are not mineral blocks, just wooden blocks to chew on. He also has some branches from his old home that he doesn't chew on that I have noticed but I am trying to keep everything am similar as I can for him to hopefully make the adjustment for him slightly easier. He loves his cardboard box as well. He just tears it apart and leaves the pieces all over the floor.

Latest posts

Back