rabbit weight loss

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebunnbunne

Reaction score
Shugar had been outside for the winter, in her insulated dog house and i think she gained a few extra pounds! can i get them off?

Do you think she's really overweight or just has her winter coat on still? Misty looked like she gained 5pounds this winter, but as soon as she shed off her winter coat, she looks much thinner.

Do you have a scale or have you taken her in to the vet to get her weighed?

_________
Nadia

Did you increase the amount of pellets she was eating in the winter? I know with my buns I slightly increase the amount of pellets they get as they use up more energy keeping warm when it's cold outside. However when the weather warms up I always cut back the pellets to a small amount (you will need to measure out the right amount for your bun)each day with plenty of greens and hay.This has worked well for my girls and they are back to their sleek summer selves.:)

However it is important to haveyour bunweighed and make sure she is overweight and if so how much weight she needs to loose, you don't want her loosing too much weight.

If you establish that she is truly overweight and it's not just her coat you can get those pounds off.

Lacey got a little overweight when Starsky was bad because she was helping herself to his food and treats - cheeky madam ;). She was almost 1kg overweight according to the vet.

I cut down on pellets and shoved in more hay. I also banished treats for a while and she is about normal weight now. Exercise is always a good thing too - try making her run around a bit more than normal or make her work for her food by hiding it around the place.

lucy are rabit was really overweight

she was like a coach potato didn't move at all

we took her to see our vet and he advised us just cabbage and hay or didn't veggies

i have got to say i think shes lost nearly 2 kg and is much more energetic

if you just fed her cabbage and hay how do you know if she is getting the right amount of the nutrients she needs, ive tried to get caramel to loose weight i know she has lost some but not much, i feel im still giving her too much but when i do give her her food she scoffs it as though she hasn't been fed and i cont want her going hungry

The pellets are where they can stand to cutback. Feed regular veggies, no treats and cut back on the pellets.

It's important that they are still getting the right nutrients while they are 'dieting'... so a mix of vegetables is important.

Also, ifanyone has a question on what you are feeding and if it is too much or how to cut back- please post it and we can give advice according to their existing diet - butI am not going to recommend starving your rabbit to get weight off.

Also, it's hard to recommend how to help get weight off without first knowing details like what the bunny is currently eating, how much they weigh etc.

yes she's fat! i give her pellets whenever she's getting low and she gets fresh veggies and oats from time to time.should i give her a certain amount of pellets a day? how much?

How old is your bunny?

See the following information on how much to feed you rbunny according to it's age:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html
[line]

If you follow the above and cut back on the free fed pellets, youshould notice a difference. Also stop feeding her oats and treats -that will help as well.

I've noticed lately to that my some of mature rabbits are getting fat and just decided yesterday to stop free feeding them pellets. I weighed my flemish and she is 20 lbs. i know she is a big girl but she also doesn't have any loose skin anywhere to be found on her. This pic was taken in Jan and she is even bigger now.

med_gallery_732_157_174104.jpg

i put shugar on a diet of half a cup of pellets at night and some fresh veggies in the morning. will this bring down her wieght?

Yes, with the proper diet you should notice that she will trim down to the proper size over time.

I had a whole room of "Jenny Craigwanna be's."......so I didn't change a thing except the pellets . They all get unlimited timothy hay (which they like) , a fairly large evening salad and only 1/8th a cup pelletsper bun which is a combo of timothy and regular alfalfa pellets per day. They are losing weight gradually so I know pellets is the answer.

i give her 1/8th of a cup of pellets and loaded on the hay, but how much veggies should she get? her pellets are gone in the morning. does this mean she should be getting more??

How many lbs. is she. You probably should not increase the pellets unless she is a big girl. Mine eat their pellets all at once and they are gone...and they don't get more until the next day but they do have a lot of hay and a large salad in the evening.

should i increase the amount of pellets i feed her? they're usually gone by the moring when i give her 1/8th of a cup.

cool! how much veggies/fruit should she get? her get's a good amount, like a carot and a stick of celery sometimes apple or grapes. a serving at night.

Back