Rabbit swollen nipples

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! My 2 year old female bunny went through a false pregnancy a couple of weeks ago and now her nipples seem swollen. She's been very hormonal all summer. She's fine otherwise she's eating and playing. She's doing binkies all over.

I've noticed that she started digging a lot and trying to hump my arm a couple of days ago. After that I noticed her nipples. I decided to just watch her because something simialar happened last year and she was back to normal but I didn't see them then. The vet checked. I'm not an expert and I'm freaking out a bit so I might be overreacting. I don't see any discharge but they do seem reddish and are very swollen. I can't check too often because she attempts to hump my arm every time I touch her belly area. I'm not sure what to do the vet is only open for 2 hours tomorrow because it's Saturday and closed on Sunday and I'm not sure if her vet will even be there. What's worse is I have a flight booked to a different country Wednesday morning because my grandmother is in a hospital and my grandfather is sick so I have to go and help them.

My roommate will petsit the bunny but she works a lot, won't know if something is wrong unless it's obvious and won't be able to take her to the vet. Even if she does she won't be able to deal with giving the bunny antibiotics. The poor baby has a very sensitive tummy, she can only eat hay and some critical care mush rarely. I have lots of probiotics that helped when she was on Baytril for a UTI but from what I've read this kind of infection would require stronger antibiotics. I'm not sure what to do

Do they seem infected to more experienced bun parents? I was thinking that maybe if I take her tomorrow and she gets put on antibiotics straight away I might get through most of them until Wednesday and my roommate would be ok the last day. I might be overreacting and she gets very stressed out at the vets plus she had her yearly blood works done on the 17th of last month and I'm pretty sure she's still traumatized from that.

The poor thing is also getting spayed in October because I'll be in a different country for 3 weeks and her main who does these types of surgeries with a high success rate is taking a sabbatical until then.

I'm attaching photos I managed to take.

Attachments

• 20230812_010128.jpg
    20230812_010128.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230812_010125.jpg
    20230812_010125.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230812_010525.jpg
    20230812_010525.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Infection isn't likely in a non nursing doe, but still a slight possibility. I would be more concerned about the possibility of uterine abnormalities causing this. Some rabbits as they age, become more prone to developing uterine cancer. If you can move up the spay appointment, I would suggest doing that. Or if you can find another good rabbit vet that can do it sooner.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Choosing_a_rabbit_veterinarian
https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/

Latest posts

Back