Rabbit not feeling good

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's a UTI and the antibiotics work, the bunny could bounce back and feel so much better in a matter of hours or a day (as long as it hasn't developed a gut slowdown.) Until then, keep the bunny well hydrated, fed if you can, and monitor their poops. If the first antibiotics don't work and the bunny's symptoms continue to worsen, another could be tried.

I've dealt with several UTIs and usually Trimethoprim&Sulfamethoxazole (a.k.a. Bactrim, Ditrim Duplo) worked well, but on a few occasions we had to switch to enrofloxacine (a.k.a. Baytril, Exoflox) because the symptoms returned and/or the course of medication was too short.

What antibiotics did you get and for how long? A 7 to 10-day (or even 14) course of Bactrim or Baytril twice a day orally usually does the trick. The vet could possibly do a dipstick test on the urine to see if it has blood (cheap and fast, I keep sticks at home at all times). An ultrasound/X-ray can show if there is a stone or sludge in the bladder or other abnormalities, but it won't exactly fix anything.

The poop in your first post could be mushy cecotrophes which can indicate a tummy upset or a gut slowdown, but that may just be a temporary thing and not the real problem here, especially if normal hard fecal dropping still keep coming.
Calpol and another one I'll leave the name down below its not around me rn. I'll get enro tomorrow cuz I also see mucus around the nose and sneezing. I pulled out a booger from his nose which is not normal. Enro works for respiratory too right? I'll be force feeding him some water and some food. I was thinking of dissolving chicken feed in water but I think something like apple or some other blend would work better? Or a grass blend for fibre.

Stick with a grass blend if you can. Chicken feed and fruit is not really good and is too much carbs and sugars, and can cause digestive problems, sometimes very serious ones.

Calpol(paracetamol) really isn't the best thing to be giving rabbits, and could potentially cause liver problems. Can you get metacam or meloxicam suspension syrup instead? That would be much better and is what is usually given to rabbits for pain and inflammation.

Enrofloxacin dosage is 5-10mg/kg, twice a day. And if he also has a respiratory infection, it should be given for at least 4 weeks, and two weeks past the last of the symptoms clearing up. Also keep in mind that you need to check if a medication prescribed is safe to give to your rabbit, as some meds can be fatal to rabbits if given inappropriately.

Medirabbit: respiratory issues in rabbits

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits

Stick with a grass blend if you can. Chicken feed and fruit is not really good and is too much carbs and sugars, and can cause digestive problems, sometimes very serious ones.

Calpol(paracetamol) really isn't the best thing to be giving rabbits, and could potentially cause liver problems. Can you get metacam or meloxicam suspension syrup instead? That would be much better and is what is usually given to rabbits for pain and inflammation.

Enrofloxacin dosage is 5-10mg/kg, twice a day. And if he also has a respiratory infection, it should be given for at least 4 weeks, and two weeks past the last of the symptoms clearing up. Also keep in mind that you need to check if a medication prescribed is safe to give to your rabbit, as some meds can be fatal to rabbits if given inappropriately.

Medirabbit: respiratory issues in rabbits

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits
OK thank you. I do see a little bit of improvements. I put him in his cage at night and left the door open and today he was outside and when he saw me he came running towards me. Yesterday he wasn't moving on his own at all. He also ate some grass today!! Should I still change the meds? I can try to find metacam

He has mucous in his poop I read on the internet that antibiotic treatment causes this. Shall I be worried about this?

Mucous in the poop can be a problem. There can be different causes for it. it could be the meds that your rabbit was put on. You didn't say your rabbit was put on an antibiotic yet, just the calpol and detoxing med, whatever that is. Do you have a drug name for it? Mucous can happen when a rabbit eats something that irritates the digestive tract. It can happen after a rabbit is recovering from GI stasis. And it can happen if a rabbit has coccidiosis. And a much more severe case of mucous is when it is profuse amounts of a jelly type mucous, and this indicates a very serious digestive illness.

Medirabbit: mucoid enteritis

It could be the meds, it could be if your rabbit had an upset stomach, it could be the unhealthy diet your rabbit has had. The best thing to help correct mucous in the poop, is if you can get your rabbit to only eat lots and lots of grass, and stop feeding the chicken feed and any sugary high carb foods like fruit and grain, as they encourage harmful bacterial growth in the digestive tract. Grass and hay help correct this, so is the best food for digestive problems in most cases.

If you can get metacam, then yes I would switch to that instead. And the antibiotic. If you can get smz/tmp, that might be a better choice than enrofloxacin right now. Reason is that if there is any chance the mucous in the poop is because your rabbit has coccidiosis, smz/tmp will also treat this condition. So it will take care of possible coccidiosis as well as a possible UTI.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem to be a simple issue of having a cold. Mucousy poops, bad appetite, being a bit drowsy and all the other things are not that. Not to sound rude or anything, but why did you write this?
I used Vibactra Plus for a cold and his sniffles cleared up within 2 days

Mucous in the poop can be a problem. There can be different causes for it. it could be the meds that your rabbit was put on. You didn't say your rabbit was put on an antibiotic yet, just the calpol and detoxing med, whatever that is. Do you have a drug name for it? Mucous can happen when a rabbit eats something that irritates the digestive tract. It can happen after a rabbit is recovering from GI stasis. And it can happen if a rabbit has coccidiosis. And a much more severe case of mucous is when it is profuse amounts of a jelly type mucous, and this indicates a very serious digestive illness.

Medirabbit: mucoid enteritis

It could be the meds, it could be if your rabbit had an upset stomach, it could be the unhealthy diet your rabbit has had. The best thing to help correct mucous in the poop, is if you can get your rabbit to only eat lots and lots of grass, and stop feeding the chicken feed and any sugary high carb foods like fruit and grain, as they encourage harmful bacterial growth in the digestive tract. Grass and hay help correct this, so is the best food for digestive problems in most cases.

If you can get metacam, then yes I would switch to that instead. And the antibiotic. If you can get smz/tmp, that might be a better choice than enrofloxacin right now. Reason is that if there is any chance the mucous in the poop is because your rabbit has coccidiosis, smz/tmp will also treat this condition. So it will take care of possible coccidiosis as well as a possible UTI.
My choices are limited and I thought calpol was an antibiotic. If I cut out everything from his diet he will get super weak. He already has gotten weak. I can try to get a smz I see one online but I think it will take alot of time to deliver. He did eat grass and hay today but not alot he ate only a few.

My choices are limited and I thought calpol was an antibiotic. If I cut out everything from his diet he will get super weak. He already has gotten weak. I can try to get a smz I see one online but I think it will take alot of time to deliver. He did eat grass and hay today but not alot he ate only a few.

Look at what the active ingredient is. The Calpol syrup that I know of, is paracetamol, which is a pain reliever/fever reducer and definitely not an antibiotic. Unless the Calpol in your country is completely different. If the Calpol you have is the same(paracetamol), and you can get enrofloxacin sooner than the smz/tmp, I would start with that. If he does have a urinary and respiratory infection, it's important to get at least one of those antibiotics started soon.

If he won't eat much grass, then yes you do need to continue feeding the other food, the chicken feed or whatever else it is that he is eating, or he will starve. It's just not the best food to be feeding when a rabbit has mucous in the poop. He needs to be eating, even if it is only the unhealthy food that he'll eat.

You're in a difficult situation with limited resources for rabbits. All you can do is the best you can and hopefully it works out and he'll be ok.

I was in a rush earlier but wanted to mention Vibactra and what I used it for. It is used for a variety of animals and people use it as a last resort for puppies with parvo (coupled with a digestive support) and seems to have high life saving success rate from people’s experiences. I’m suggesting it is something worth looking into and speaking about with ones vet to see if it’s a good option. It is a holistic supplement and the ingredients should be easily accessible if the actual bottle is not.

i know with birds that if you’re feeding healthy top of the line food and parrot isn’t eating the food then the food is worthless (no matter how expensive it is). Calories are so important to birds and small animals. I’d applied the same logic here. Yea chicken feed doesn’t sound the best but if he’s eating it and the ingredients aren’t detrimental to his health I’d keep giving it to him if he was my rabbit. I’d give him what ever he wants to eat within reason. Can you post the ingredients to the chicken feed?
Have you spoken to your bunny’s breeder? Does she /he have experience in taking care of sick rabbits - any rabbits with similar symptoms your bunny ? Can your breeder offer any advice? (From reading OPs messages it sounds like you got your rabbit from a breeder) I ask this because the breeder I got my bunny from has been pretty informative when I have questions( first day I brought him home he had wool in his poop and then a little while later he had what looked like bladder sludge then a wet runny nose)

I was in a rush earlier but wanted to mention Vibactra and what I used it for. It is used for a variety of animals and people use it as a last resort for puppies with parvo (coupled with a digestive support) and seems to have high life saving success rate from people’s experiences. I’m suggesting it is something worth looking into and speaking about with ones vet to see if it’s a good option. It is a holistic supplement and the ingredients should be easily accessible if the actual bottle is not.

i know with birds that if you’re feeding healthy top of the line food and parrot isn’t eating the food then the food is worthless (no matter how expensive it is). Calories are so important to birds and small animals. I’d applied the same logic here. Yea chicken feed doesn’t sound the best but if he’s eating it and the ingredients aren’t detrimental to his health I’d keep giving it to him if he was my rabbit. I’d give him what ever he wants to eat within reason. Can you post the ingredients to the chicken feed?
Have you spoken to your bunny’s breeder? Does she /he have experience in taking care of sick rabbits - any rabbits with similar symptoms your bunny ? Can your breeder offer any advice? (From reading OPs messages it sounds like you got your rabbit from a breeder) I ask this because the breeder I got my bunny from has been pretty informative when I have questions( first day I brought him home he had wool in his poop and then a little while later he had what looked like bladder sludge then a wet runny nose)
The breeder was feeding the rabbits chicken feed.

I can ask him he said if he dies within first month he will take responsibility and blah blah but I'm sure he's most likely gonna say its something wrong with the tummy like other people here in Pakistan told me. Rabbits are either kept as livestock here or bred here. I don't know anyone else who keeps them as pets Indoors and treats them like they are meant to be treated. My relatives keep saying bad stuff to me for not giving him alot of carrots and stuff to eat when they don't even know anything about rabbits. I think my bunny is having same symptoms as urs. Might be because of stress cuz u stated that it happened when u got him I guess and I also just got him like 3 weeks ago. Its also getting super hot here and he is in the upper portion which is usually more hot. Might be heat and the wrong diet. He was kept with other bunnies so It also might be loneliness because he is not very interactive with me. Idk The ingredients in the feed but j can find online I think it's alot of protein ik one thing about it and it's summers now almost here so I think it's best I get rid of the feed.

Latest posts

Back