Rabbit not feeling good

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20210527_214658.jpg
His pee is like this since yesterday. Very thick and when it dries it leaves a white mark which looks like somebody painted white. I have changed the diet from the feed its been a week or so. He is very weak not gaining weight. Any medicines that would work? And how do I make his weight go up without upsetting his tummy with too much sugar and carbs. He gets a large bowl of lettuce, cucumber, carrots, oats, parsley, and one type of fruit. I tried to find pellets but all I see is hitec 44 or 45 which is meant for calves.....

If the urine dries chalky, that's ok. It's normal. But if it's creamy and sludgy when it is drying, that isn't normal and is an indication of bladder sludge.

Is he getting enough other food? Why do you think he's weak? Is he not eating, not drinking, not being active when he normally would be? Is there some sort of change of behavior that makes you think he's weak? Is he skinny and bony?

Can you feed him more oats? Will he eat them?

You don't want to feed any foods meant for calves. It could be dangerous to feed it to rabbits as it could contain mold and other harmful ingredients. What about any horse stables or horse suppliers in your area? Horses have to have the same quality of hay as rabbits.

If the urine dries chalky, that's ok. It's normal. But if it's creamy and sludgy when it is drying, that isn't normal and is an indication of bladder sludge.

Is he getting enough other food? Why do you think he's weak? Is he not eating, not drinking, not being active when he normally would be? Is there some sort of change of behavior that makes you think he's weak? Is he skinny and bony?

Can you feed him more oats? Will he eat them?

You don't want to feed any foods meant for calves. It could be dangerous to feed it to rabbits as it could contain mold and other harmful ingredients. What about any horse stables or horse suppliers in your area? Horses have to have the same quality of hay as rabbits.
Yes he is skinny and bony. He wasp doing good until I was feeding him the feed and when he got sick after that he has been getting weak. He has been alot more active than before. He eats all of his food and goes crazy for carrots. I can feed him more oats but too much carbs. Horses condition in pakistan is as bad as other animals. Beaten, over worked, fed poorly tied all day. They all use fodder for them or grazing since its less expensive. Its chacky when it dries but its thick. I have cleaned all the urine but I'll post a picture and video of dried and fresh one so u can see the texture.

The problem is that he has to have more than vegetables. Veggies are mostly water, so not a lot of calories to fill up on and maintain weight. He either needs to be eating a bunch of grass each day, basically he should always have some to eat and never run out. Or he needs to be getting something else to provide the calories. Oats aren't ideal, but much better than going back to chicken feed. So, if you can feed him grass all day, and he'll eat it, then that is ideal. But if not then you may just have to risk feeding him more oats and with any luck it won't cause mushy poop.

The only other thing I can think is that he does have a bladder infection like talked about earlier. So if you can get enrofloxacin or trimetoprim sulfa, it might be worth trying a 14 day coarse of antibiotic. The sulfa would be the most palatable and easiest to administer. Rabbits tend to hate the taste of enrofloxacin.

The problem is that he has to have more than vegetables. Veggies are mostly water, so not a lot of calories to fill up on and maintain weight. He either needs to be eating a bunch of grass each day, basically he should always have some to eat and never run out. Or he needs to be getting something else to provide the calories. Oats aren't ideal, but much better than going back to chicken feed. So, if you can feed him grass all day, and he'll eat it, then that is ideal. But if not then you may just have to risk feeding him more oats and with any luck it won't cause mushy poop.

The only other thing I can think is that he does have a bladder infection like talked about earlier. So if you can get enrofloxacin or trimetoprim sulfa, it might be worth trying a 14 day coarse of antibiotic. The sulfa would be the most palatable and easiest to administer. Rabbits tend to hate the taste of enrofloxacin.
He did have grass all day with him but now that my dad decided to pluck the grass in the lawn cuz of the excessive weeds he gets a refill 3 times a day. It is growing back really quick. I'll see wht meds I can get enro is the easiest for me to get but won't hurt to ask for other ones too

Enrofloxacin is fine, just more difficult to get them to want to take it because of it's taste. A premixed suspension that doesn't contain artificial sweeteners (in particular absolutely no xylitol), is what you want. But if you can only get the tablets, those can be crushed and mixed with a sweetener or juice. Maple syrup is what I've used and worked well, but I don't know what you have available to you.

I can get
Enrofloxacin is fine, just more difficult to get them to want to take it because of it's taste. A premixed suspension that doesn't contain artificial sweeteners (in particular absolutely no xylitol), is what you want. But if you can only get the tablets, those can be crushed and mixed with a sweetener or juice. Maple syrup is what I've used and worked well, but I don't know what you have available to you.
I can get it in liquid. I can make something sweet with fruits if I can get tablets. I feed him 2 times a day morning and night shall I make it 3 times?

He did have grass all day with him but now that my dad decided to pluck the grass in the lawn cuz of the excessive weeds he gets a refill 3 times a day. It is growing back really quick. I'll see wht meds I can get enro is the easiest for me to get but won't hurt to ask for other ones too
Zont, Can you order or recieve packages from Amazon?
I order my hay from Amazon.
Standlee 10 pounds Timothy
Hay. Can also order pellets.
If you can't I may be able to help you.

If I recall, I did ask them of this before, in another post, and no. They cannot. Pakistan still doesn't get the same luxuries as other countries.

I wish I could. Hopefully in the future.

Back