Rabbit not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbitoid

Reaction score
Woke up to my rabbit not eating, he’s moving but he just keeps lying down, he’s refusing to even eat fruit and I’m concerned, I’ve given him nutrifeed and pineapple juice now. Any advise?

I'm not really sure what nutrifeed is, but how are his poops? try to listen to his tummy for gurgling sounds, that would mean there's gas, you will need meloxicam if so. But If you can, I would rush him to the vet for subcu fluids :(

I'm not really sure what nutrifeed is, but how are his poops? try to listen to his tummy for gurgling sounds, that would mean there's gas, you will need meloxicam if so. But If you can, I would rush him to the vet for subcu fluids :(
Nutrifeed is a high fiber food given to herbivores when they don’t want to eat, id take him there but all the vets around me are closed. I’m worried of the cost as well. Think the pineapple juice will help?

No, I don't think pinapple juice will help. Rabbit doesn't need sugar now. That enzyms are overrated.

Make him move, make him hop around. Give gentle belly massages, or, I put the rabbit on my leg when sitting, facing me, and I rock the whole rabbit. You'll see if it easies his discomfort. Offer him all the food he really likes, there are safe greens if he isn't used to green stuff, like leaves of roses and apple trees, narrowleaf plantain...

Also, to help to get rid of the gas, you can give him Simethicone, ca. 20mg 2-3per day, that's regular Infant gas Relief medicine.

I agree with @Preitler about the pineapple juice and I also forgot to mention the simethicone. Give that first instead of meloxicam.
How are his poops?

Nutrifeed is a high fiber food given to herbivores when they don’t want to eat
Ahh so its like oxbow critical care. I thats fine but I'd do what @Preitler mentioned first :)

He needs critical care to get his bowels moving? I watered down food and syringe fed mine fluids aswell maybe he has a blockage? You need to get him pooing / eating pretty fast else he will die or if you can get him to the vets they can give him some fluids and critical care

Please see here for information on at-home treatment measures to take for gas-related gi stasis: Gastrointestinal stasis - WabbitWiki

Note that if the underlying cause is not gas or if things have progressed enough, at-home treatment measures will not be adequate and an emergency visit is highly recommend.

I highlight the recommendation against pineapple juice -- if your rabbit should be forcefed, Critical care or pellet mash will be better than pineapple juice: Health FAQ - WabbitWiki

Please make sure to check for bloat/blockage prior to force-feeding (at-home assessment may not be conclusive, especially if not done correctly, so if you suspect bloat, please go to a vet immediately):

Last edited:
Ok so I’ve felt his stomach and I doubt It’s bloating, his stomach isn’t tense and he is running around more.

Running around is good. How are his poos? Is he eating?

My first go-to is the simethicone drops. That seems to get mine eating again and then all is well. Gentle massages and belly rubs (as @Preitler explained) are also helpful. If he's moving around, that will help too (it also indicates that he may be feeling better).

Never force syringe feeding on a rabbit that may have a gut blockage. Doing so can make things infinitely worse.

I would like to reiterate, it's an extremely bad idea to be syringe feeding a rabbit that has stopped eating for an unknown cause, until a vet has ruled out a complete blockage and bloat. Syringe feeding when either of these has occurred, can risk increased pressure on the heart and lungs resulting in respiratory distress or cardiac problems, or risk the rupture of the stomach or digestive tract from the increased pressure it creates.

https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

I would like to reiterate, it's an extremely bad idea to be syringe feeding a rabbit that has stopped eating for an unknown cause, until a vet has ruled out a complete blockage and bloat. Syringe feeding when either of these has occurred, can risk increased pressure on the heart and lungs resulting in respiratory distress or cardiac problems, or risk the rupture of the stomach or digestive tract from the increased pressure it creates.

https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
I was told to syringe feed mine? A mash up of food and water & fluids? And 2 days of that and he turned a corner and was himself again
Of course she needs to see or speak to a vet

Latest posts

Back