Rabbit lump/tumor/possibly cancer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opening it up finding out whether or not they can remove it or not without the leg then get them to call!

My three legged bun was opened up and my vet (30 years rabbit experience.) called to ask whether I wanted him desexed as well in the middle of surgery and also to tell me that he looked to see if there was another way around amputation unfortunately there wasn't but I'm glad he didn't have to be put to sleep. It costed $350 (AU) not including consult bills of course. But also the fact is, you should tell your vet to open it up and decide the best course of action then call you with the information then have it done rather then wasting more money of scans. You are feeding their pockets whilst they sit idly as your bun is stuck like this.

Do keep us updated though!

Hello Bunny Friends,

Bun got a CT scan and a biopsy done this week. Dr. Seems to think he has bone cancer :(. She said the cancer has not spread to his lungs and it has not invaded neighboring parts of his body so thats rly good. In order to save his life they would have to do Surgery... Amputate his front leg and shoulder blade...Surgery would cost $4000! Ive already spent $1500! The earliest I could do surgery would be March 24th.. She said if we dont do surgery I prob have a few months left with him till the point where the tumor is so painful to him that id have to put him down. :(

Ive been crying for days... Idk what to do. Idk what is right. Idk if its right to put him through it all and then be a 3 legged bunny. Idk at what point it is too much money... The money part of it i have felt so numb about.. It hasn't rly hit me that I already spent $1500 and I could potentially spend around $6000 after all of this is said and done. And of course surgery is a risk as well. I just wanna curl up in a ball cry forever.. What do I do?

$6000 is a lot of money.. Where can I come up with $6000 and fast...But i love bun.. Ughhh this is horrible..

<3 me

I would call around to different vets and ask if they could do a front limb amputation and what they would charge. Even ones that might be further away. Having to travel a bit further to a vet that could do this for a more reasonable cost, would be worth it. Just remember going into this, that surgery is always risky, especially for rabbits.

Yea im starting to feel like even if i do surgery he wouldn't be living a quality life after it.. They have to remove his front limb and his shoulder blade. Idk that breaks my heart to put him through all of that...

Mollie, that's not going to ruin his quality of life. I've made this decision myself, it was amputate or put him down and that's what I did. You should see him now, he's no different he does everything and his quality of life hasn't changed if anything it's just got better. He's the same bunny just he is missing a leg, that's all. He still jumps as high, runs as fast (If not faster) honestly the only thing he can't do is stand up on his hind legs without help of something to hold on to but your bun won't need to worry about that, as it's front and not back. It doesn't change how they experience life at all. Loki is happier then ever, he can still do 99/100 things a four legged rabbit can do. And what about those buns that can't use their back legs at all? They still love full quality lives. It's just a leg it won't take away his life without it. Believe me, I know I own a three legged rabbit. Sure, it's harder for him to stand up on slippery floors but its the same for all bunnies. He'll adapt and it won't take him more than a month at the most,

Also that price is ridiculous, mine was $350(AUD) = $315.15(USD) and I have never heard of an amputation operation on anything but a horse costing that much. I think you need to look around for a cheaper vet. If you are waiting that long for the surgery anyway, it's not going to hurt.

*sigh*
Unfortunately all the advice given here in regards to Bun has fallen on deaf ears. Mollie, Why you posted here, I have no idea, since you don't care to listen to excellent advice.

First: A few pages back I gave a link to youtube posts of tripod bunnies. They DO have a quality of life. It is far far better to be alive with three legs than to be dead with four. YOU dwell on disability; Bunnies don't. -- They get on with the process of living.

Yes, you have managed to waste $1500 which should have been MORE than enough to pay to have the leg surgically opened, the bone cancer discovered AND the leg amputated by a qualified vet. Several of us told you that but you're not listening. It is not rocket science but simple, logical procedure -- open, observe, decide on the action.

If you FINALLY decide to listen to others here who have gone through the very same thing (Pegasus had an identical cancer, Loki had a leg amputated) you will call/email vets in the area and ask for quotes to amputate. The cost should not be more than $600 or so. A Cat and Dog doctor CAN do it, provided they have at least done spay/neuter of rabbits so they are aware that they are sensitive to anesthetic.

It hasn't spread to the lungs? Bun is very lucky so far considering how incompetently he has been treated so far. More delay and he might not be so lucky and the cancer will spread to vital organs and then there won't be a choice.

YOU and YOU alone are the ONLY one who can advocate for Bun. Quit expecting vets to make the choices for you. Drop the ball, as you have been doing and Bun will not survive. Quit crying and get busy finding a vet who will operate right now and who won't want more ridiculous and useless tests. !!

I'm praying for Bun.

bob

Last edited:
Take it easy please, there's no need to have a go because the OP is having a hard time deciding what to do. It's a tough situation, with a lot of expense involved. Maybe the vet expenses are overpriced, but there are nicer ways of putting it.

Best of luck with your decision, I can only imagine how tough it must be. If you can manage to get it done at an affordable price, I would personally opt for the amputation. However I know that sometimes those sort of operations aren't affordable for everyone (lost my childhood cat for that exact reason). Yes it's a big operation, and yes he will have a slightly different life, but he can still be a happy and healthy bunny with three legs :)

Bun's in my thoughts, Mollie. I wish you best of luck in making this tough decision. :pray:

So Bun was diagnosed with a very aggressive sarcoma cancerous tumor that was growing rapidly over the past two months. The vets said amputating his limb would be a serious surgery since it was located in the middle of his shoulder. They told me they could remove it but it would most likely just grow back and cause more pain. Bun started to show me signs that he was in pain and was becoming uncomfortable so it came down to me making a decision. The hardest decision I've had to make.. But this is not about me this was about bun and bun being comfortable and happy and I knew in my heart that in a short time the cancer would only spread and the tumor would only get bigger. I gave my baby boy to heaven.. Im so heartbroken about it but I know it was the right thing to do..I had to be the brave one in this situation and I had to take control of his awful thing that seemed to get out of control. Bun bun is no longer in pain. He is free.

Bun brought me so much joy and laughter. He truly showed me the meaning of love and I will keep him in my heart forever. I love you bun bun. May you rest in peace, pain free, and watching over me. I will see you at the rainbow bridge my little angel.

I'm so so sorry to hear of your buns passing and the horrible situation that you've had to go through... I hope you are doing as well as you can and please take
care of yourself..

Vanessa

Latest posts

Back