Quantcast

Rabbit Licks: Salt or Affection??

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
This seems to be a debatable question... Do rabbits "groom" humans as a loving thing, or possibly because they have a salt deficiency in their diet?

raven123

Reaction score
I have two buns that have the same diet and one just doesn’t like to lick me but the other loves to give kisses, so if your rabbit has a good diet and is healthy then all those licks theyre giving you is most likely kisses!

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
I have two buns that have the same diet and one just doesn’t like to lick me but the other loves to give kisses, so if your rabbit has a good diet and is healthy then all those licks theyre giving you is most likely kisses!
That's what I've noticed too! All of my buns get a pretty similar diet, yet some groom me while others expect to be groomed by me. I used to buy salt licks, but they got ignored by the rabbits...

Preitler

Loony bunny guy
Reaction score
No, not salt deficit, I guess mine get more salt than theiy need, the stone salt block gets totally ignored. Some like licking, or the sensation of licking gives them - my buck lickes one decorative pillow until it is soaked, he just enjoys it.

Other deficites, I don't know, sometimes one of the outdoor rabbits starts to eat plaster from the wall, or dry dirt from the ground, no idea why.

Licking is also, if not primarily, a social interaction, I myself don't get licked but it's so wholesome watching two bunnies groom each other,

Attachments

samoth

Reaction score
one just doesn’t like to lick me but the other loves to give kisses
There's a very similar hierarchy in my home.

Not sure why the large omnivore isn't at the top, but I've learned to accept my place :)

Latest posts