Rabbit legs paralyzed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estpan

Reaction score
Hi everyone
My 3 months old rabbit suddenly got paralyzed. Can't move legs. We don't have vet. Pls tell me what to do

What I would do for now:
Put him in a small cage, or carrier so he doesn't even try to move. Enough hay or so as bedding so he stays reasonable dry when he pees. Put his food and water right in front of his nose, so that he doesn't have to move. Whatever is going on, it is important that he keeps eating. Give him rest.

If it is a severe spine injury, like from a fall, that wouldn't go away. But sometimes, as I've read, if nothing got severed a swelling or bruise can cause temporary paralysis, but without a vet and x-rays I wouldn't know a way to tell if it's a permanent damage or not.

There is a facebook group of people with disabled rabbits (I don't do facebook so I don't have a link),, maybe you get tips there.

Has there been any trauma where the rabbit could have been hurt? Since the rabbit is a baby, my first thought is it could be e cuniculi, but I am not for sure. From what I have read rabbits can heal from e cuniculi after a 28-day dose of fenbendazole, but if the cells have already been damaged from the parasite they will most likely not heal. So in this case, your rabbit will probably be paralyzed forever. Is it all 4 legs or just the hind legs that are paralyzed? If it is just the hind legs, you could probably build a wheelchair for the bunny so it can still get around and live an almost normal life.
Here are some links that should be helpful:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/cuniculi/pyrimethamine.htmhttps://rabbit.org/journal/3-2/e-cu...n laboratory settings are under two years oldSince I don't know much on this topic, @JBun should be able to help you out!

There is not much that can be done without a veterinarian. If you haven't seen a vet yet, you'll need to find one in your area or out of your area (so drive or find a way to get to a vet). I understand you may be living somewhere where vets are not as accessible/available, but a rabbit who suddenly becomes paralyzed is not normal and likely is suffering/suffered a significant injury/medical condition, and this requires the assessment of a professional to know if this is permanent, if there are other injuries, etc..

At the minimum, you can do your best to maintain a good quality of life until a vet visit can be had. Make sure your rabbit has access to water, grass/hay, veggies, and pellets in its immediate area. I also imagine you need to do your best to keep the environment clean, as your rabbit likely may soil him/herself due to paralysis. There are some resources and info about caring for a rabbit with paralysis here: Paralysis

Latest posts

Back