Rabbit is limping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My rabbit Ollie is limping in his rear right leg, and I don't know what he did. He might have just broken a toenail, (I looked at some information on the house rabbit website), but it's also possible he dislocated something. I'm going to try checking his paw again tomorrow morning, but he doesn't like his paws touched. I'm hoping he'll be okay by Monday (I'd schedule an appointment for tomorrow but the clinic is closed), but if not its time for a vet visit. Is there anything I can do to help him heal faster? How can I tell if its a dislocation? I'm not sure how he injured himself, he might've got his foot caught in the side of the cage but I'm not sure. Help is appreciated, as I'm very concerned for my rabbit.

When my bun hurt her leg my vet told me to keep her in a small cage, resting quietly, with no outside cage time until I could get into see them.

If he is able to move the leg at all it is not a dislocation. A dislocation occurs when the joint comes completely out of the socket, so you are okay there. Limping could be several things including what you said: a broken toenail. Without really inspecting his leg/foot there is not going to be any way to tell and to be honest with you, even if you did inspect his foot chances are you wouldn't be able to find anything. Unless there is a glaringly obvious injury it is going to take a trained set of hands and possibly an x-ray to diagnose anything. As long as he is still moving okay and doesn't seem super distressed, I would confine him to a small area to try to get him to rest the leg. Monitor him and see how he does. If he is still limping Monday morning I would probably try to have him seen.

Any idea how he could have injured it? Any obvious deformity to the leg? (i.e. bent in a weird way, missing hair, etc)

Thanks, I'm currently keeping him in his cage so he doesn't make it worse. Im hoping its just a broken nail, but I'll look again tomorrow morning. As of now he's still eating, drinking, and all fine. He does not want to put much weight on his paw however. From what I can tell there's no blood, puss, or swelling on the paw itself, but it's hard to tell since he's so furry. Checking again tomorrow morning and hoping for the best.

As far as I can tell there's no missing hair, swelling, or deformity. What I'm guessing is that he kicked his feet at the side of his cage and got a foot caught. If so, I'm hoping its only a broken nail. As I just mentioned, he doesn't drag his paw or hold it completely up, but he doesn't put much weight on it at all.

Like others have said, limit his activity and space so he isn't hopping around much. And monitor his eating, drinking, pooping, and behavior closely. If he isn't eating much or stops eating, and/or he is grinding his teeth in pain, you will need to get him into an emergency vet as he will need in the least, a pain reliever.

Okay, I currently have a towel in his favorite corner to make it a little more comfortable for him. He is not grinding his teeth at the moment, but I'll make sure to watch for if he does. Thanks so much, everyone.

Ollie has drank water, eaten pellet food, and gone to the bathroom as much as normal overnight, but he has not eaten much hay. I'll most likely have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow, but if not then, Tuesday. He does not appear to need to see an emergency vet at this point, but if he does not eat more hay by later on tonight I will take him to the vet ASAP.

He has not gone to the bathroom since I left the house around 9 this morning. Also most of his hay is still there. Looks like it's time for a vet visit...

I'm betting he is not eating cause it's harder to get the hay standing on his back legs. I've lowered the hay rack, and currently he is eating from hand.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404757214.500618.jpg

His foot does seem better as he's hopping around in his cage a bit. Couldn't get to the vet today so I'm hoping to be able to bring him to the clinic tomorrow or at the latest Wednesday.

Hoping for the best...
- A worried bunny mama

Latest posts

Back