Rabbit Hopping...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the harness training, plus showing/telling how to coax the rabbit over a jump or other obstacle would be a major one. We had one girl that was in our group that constantly tried to drag her rabbits over obstacles. :( .

When I want them to go forward I nudge their bums with my foot, orif your rabbits likepeter who comes to you whenever you put you hand near the ground, do that.

I try to make it fun for the rabbit. Like if your rabbit is motivated by food coax him over to jump with his favorite treat.

BTW Emily I think the video tutorial idea is great, we'll have to work on creating one.

~Hayley

Oh, I'm interested in learning! Dunkin isn't fully harness trained yet. What kind of harness do you guys prefer? A picture to show me would be great if you can find one. I remember one time I tried to harness train him but he kept slipping out of it!

Sounds like we also need a vid on how to stick a bunny IN the harness :D.
I'm afraid for my fingers if I tried it... I don't think my guys would be too impressed with me...
Is it possible to use the "H" style cat harness, with clasps at all?

Oh! Now I see what you mean by "H" :headsmack I will definitely look into buying one. I can see how it would stay on a lot better.

Pet_Bunny wrote:
BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Also, if you could train at convention centers, churches, basically any large indoor places you can ask if you can train there but you might need to put some type of protection down on the carpet, etc.
Here are some more pictures of them that I took took in August. It was a demonstration inside a shopping mall.

2hx2c8.jpg

2h51sn6.jpg

2epnb43.jpg

vynzuq.jpg

Holy moley! That bun can jump - who is he/she? That jump is the equivalent of a Puissance jump in horse competitions and the bun cleared it with room to spare.

I am interested in learning more but I am sure my family members will be ready to send me to the funny farm.....:headsmackbut what I like is that that bun clearly is jumping because he/she wants to!:nod :thumbup:inlove:

Miniature horse jumping is very similar in that the horse is just attached by a lead and cannot be bribed, dragged or like a ridden horse, guided in with legs, seat and hands... the horse jumps because he/she wants to.

Wow... I am impressed! There could be bun jumpingcompetitions and you could get sponsors to make their own jumps like they do in horse jumping so that funds could be raised to support the event, the judges and the awards (I am sure the buns would like carrots and craisins....) what was that jump made out of?

Denise

Alright, so I need to know what people want to learn/get out of the training program to help me establish it. I'm come up with quite a few ideas, and of course the most important is that your rabbit is harness trained. I will look around and get some help from Hayley about harness training and the beginning steps of RH/RA.

I was thinking about making some tutorial type videos, showing how to put harnesses on and explaining how to harness train your rabbit. There could be a video for each step in training, from harnesses to grid/ground work, to the small jumps and even focusing on particular equipment.

So, feedback, questions, comments, please! :)

Emily

This is a great idea for all of us who want to learn something new with our buns!

Denise

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
I have photo's from that team while I was in Edmonton. Pet_Bunny Has loads of photo's of them.
I took close to 1600 pictures over the weekend at that rabbit show. :thud:

Sorry I couldn't spend more time with you Rebecca. I was so busy. And then you were gone when the show was winding down.

287q1py.jpg

23sdc82.jpg

s2dse8.jpg

Big rabbbits have a harder time I've heard, I have never tryed a big rabbit. You would most likely want to keep the jumps fairly low so that they could clear it.

The breeds that do the best are Holland Lops, Mini Lops, andDutch rabbits. Plus of course any small-medium sized mixes like Sherbert who's a Lionhead/ Dutch mix.

~Hayley

Hayley411 wrote:
I think the harness training, plus showing/telling how to coax the rabbit over a jump or other obstacle would be a major one. We had one girl that was in our group that constantly tried to drag her rabbits over obstacles. :( .

When I want them to go forward I nudge their bums with my foot, orif your rabbits likepeter who comes to you whenever you put you hand near the ground, do that.

I try to make it fun for the rabbit. Like if your rabbit is motivated by food coax him over to jump with his favorite treat.

BTW Emily I think the video tutorial idea is great, we'll have to work on creating one.

~Hayley

Yes, I know what you mean! Lol. There's some girls from another county here that pull their rabbits too. It's awful.

I use my hand to get Magic to go forward, or I kinda shake the leash, and sometimes that works. If I click my tongue he will jump too. So there's several different aids for getting them to jump.

Yes, the tutorial would be awesome. We'll have to figure out how to make that. :)

HappiBun: I prefer the H-style, the vest style or the figure 8 rope (only for light training). I mostly use the figure 8 tho, since I haven't come across an H-style yet. ;)

NorthernAutumn: Great suggestion on a vid. about putting the rabbit in the harness ;) That would make a great tutorial and we could show different types of harnesses...I've been confused by harnesses at times, and a Tutorial sure would make it helpful! :) Yep, it is possible to use the H style cat harness (that's what I was looking for...) the clasps are fine.

DeniseJP: The bunny in those pictures, I do believe, is Babbitty (Sp?) He's a really great jumper. Lots of enthusiam and he really loves to jump (From what I've seen from videos, etc.)

Riaketty: Big bunnies can do rabbit hopping/agility, but you may have to keep them in the lower jump height classes, as they may have difficulties getting over the larger jumps. FallingStar has a Palomino that did some rabbit hopping and I think her record was about 13 inches or something? On the first day! :) So it's definitley possible ;)

Pet_Bunny: What great pictures! I wish I could take pictures that good of Magic jumping! It takes forever just to get a decent one! :p

Emily

Riaketty: Big bunnies can do rabbit hopping/agility, but you may have to keep them in the lower jump height classes, as they may have difficulties getting over the larger jumps. FallingStar has a Palomino that did some rabbit hopping and I think her record was about 13 inches or something? On the first day! :) So it's definitley possible ;)

Yes Emily, you are correct. :)She did jump 13 inches the first day I trained her. She caught on rather quickly. I think I should start training her again, but I can't seem to find my harnesses. So, I'll probably go on a hunt for a good harness that will last for awhile.

Karlee

FallingStar wrote:

Yes Emily, you are correct. :)She did jump 13 inches the first day I trained her. She caught on rather quickly. I think I should start training her again, but I can't seem to find my harnesses. So, I'll probably go on a hunt for a good harness that will last for awhile.

Karlee

:) I think you should start training her again, too :) Good thinking about finding a good harness that will last for a while :)

Emily

New videos of Agility practice today, Enjoy!

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/kZULsrF9xww&feature=channel_page&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/bWzzZnRTSeA&feature=channel&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/X-ym6gGFi1Q&feature=channel&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/C3JhiSoE-B4&feature=channel&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/l5k6zXDGgws&feature=channel&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/OSQbFVJDsWk&feature=channel&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

~Hayley

Since nice Spring weather is heading this way, I think it's time to start with the online program! :)

The first few tutorials will be:
1. How to choose & put on a harness
2. Getting your rabbit used to the Harness
3. Gridwork & Ground Poles

That will basically be section one. I am going to look for an H-style harness today and hopefully I will find one :huh:

Im not quite sure how I'm going to do the #2 video, as Magic is already quite used to a harness and the bunnies in my rabbitry who aren't, absolutely hate being outdoors on it (That would be Ray & Sage :p).

I don't remember much about the harness training, as I practically skipped that part when I first began and had to teach it throughout jumping. I'm sure I will figure something out though ;) I do have some novice bunnies who do respond to the harness and don't just slump down. I can use them I guess.

On the #2 video I will also demonstrate the differences between how a new bunny reacts to the harness and how Magic acts. I'll also demonstrate the aids he knows, and things like that ;)

Either way, the online program is coming! :)

If anyone has -any- questions during the run of the program please let us know so that we can help you ;) Especially if there seems to be a stump in the training, etc.

Emily

Back