Rabbit Help!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moon Bunny

Reaction score
As some of you know we got a new boy rabbitrecently to be a companion for our girl. A little over five days ago wegot our girl spayed. (We plan on getting him fixed when he's a littleolder, right now he's around two months old.)

Before the spay they were getting along great. After, we seperated themfor a few days to give her time to recover. When we reinterduced themshe completely freaked out. She isn't acting agressive towards him, butmore like she's terrified of him. (Which is REALLY weird since she's areally calm girl, not easily ruffled at all.) He IS humping her (like adominence thing) but he isn't hurting her, and that's not the only timeshe acts freaked out about him. Like even when he's licking her sheacts like he's murdering her or something.

She's also acting like she's scared of us. Like we'll try to catch herto pet her and she runs/freaks until she realizes it's us. Then she'lldemand pettings while looking completely freaked.

Did they do something weird to her at the vets or is this all normal? What should I do?

Poor baby probably was put through a ton of painand she doesn't know where it came from. Just make sure she'sstill not in pain -- is she active, eating, drinking,poopingnormal amounts on her own? -- and give her lots ofgentle, soothing time. Best to just keep them next to eachother but separated.They can be out together whenshe has plenty of room to get away from him if she wants, but notconfined until she's over the trauma.

Let us know how it goes.

sas

Never put a doe in with a male after a spayuntil she has had at least 4 weeks to recover in peace (a commonstatement made by the vets in my area). If the male mounts, they can dosevere internal damage and can even kill the doe. This is probably whyshe freaked out, she was probably in pain.

And it's also possible that the little fellow reached the beginning ofthe 'teen years' and was excerting more of his dominence when they werereintroduced. Trust me, dominence issues can pop up in the blink of aneye with young rabbits.

She is eating, drinking, and pooping normally.She's also acts normal when she's in the cage by herself. Also, when hemounts her he's not actually getting anywhere, if you know what I mean.He's just acting dominate. I do think it might just be she wantscomfort and by being domineering he's just upsetting her. Anyway, I'llkeep them seperate for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I'm justworried because we're taking a trip next week and we're leaving themwith someone and I'm afraid that it's going to stress her out even more.

make sure the people you are going to leave themwith know everything about what has been going on recently and perhapshave them over to play with your buns while you are still there so theyget used to them while they still have the convidence that your thereto!

hope this helps!

Yeah, sound like he probably just hurt her. Iknow I wouldn't want anyone jumping on my back if I just had that kindof surgery. I think keeping them apart for a while longer is a greatidea.

~Star~

Latest posts

Back