rabbit has tumor needs surgery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandafifield

Reaction score
Hello,

I brought my rabbit to the vet today as I noticed a lump on his testicles. The vet determined it was a tumor and that he would need surgery to remove it along with blood work,etc. He is eatting, drinking and acting mostly normal, but he has been seeming lethargic and sits in the corner of his cage a lot. I am not sure how to tell if he is in any pain or not.

He is 10 years old, so my question is, is surgery worth it for him? Will it reduce his quality of life or cause pain afterwards?

The money is the least of my worries, but I certainly would like to know if he will need to take drugs for the remainder of his life or until the pain stops if there is any?

I love him very much and I really don't want to euthanize him. I just want to know if his quality of life will suffer greatly after the fact, because I don't want him to be in pain for the remainder of his days. :(

He is also blind in both eyes from cataracts, something else the vet told me, though I knew this from before. :(

I would say that it just depends on if it's contained or if it could be cancer and has spread. The vet may not know that until he operates.

So sorry about your bun.

I agree that it really depends on whether it is cancerous and if it has spread or not. If it is limited to his testicle, then it's likely the surgery could resolve the issue completely with no further complications that will affect his quality of life. In fact, the surgery will likely eliminate any pain that is a result of the tumor being there. And though pain medication would be needed for a few days post surgery, it shouldn't be needed long term unless he has other preexisting medical conditions that require ongoing pain relief.

If you do decide to go ahead with the neuter, it may be beneficial to also have xrays done prior to the neuter surgery, to ensure there aren't any other tumors elsewhere. You could ask your vet if this is something that would be good to do or not.

Surgery at his age is a bit of a risk, but if you have a really good rabbit vet, then that will help minimize possible anesthesia risks.

Thank you for your thoughts guys, I appreciate it. I have scheduled the appointment for next friday, and I just hope that's not too long. The vet seemed to know a bit about bunnies and said the anesthesia would have to be lessened for him to be safe. He is eatting still and drinking, and he is cleaning himself more than usual. He is going close to the corner in his cage a lot and sleeping. I am still very afraid to give him surgery, but it is probably the only real option if I want his quality of life to improve again. I just hope and pray it isn't cancer.

I was talking more with the vet that I brought my bun to, and I asked more questions to get some answers I had. I asked if they would give him pain meds right after, and more if needed to bring home. They said that they won't give him pain meds at all unless they have to do it and they see he is in pain as bunnies can be very sensitive.

I also asked if the procedure should be safe to him, and of course, I knew the part about him being older, but she said that the blood work would determine if there was anything else to be concerned about like his organs or possibly cancer. She said many older buns do survive the anesthesia.

Does this sound like someone who is qualified about rabbits? I don't really know how to tell a rabbit savvy vet from a normal one honestly, and I have no list of ones around who are definitely good. My bun has never had any really bad health problems was very healthy his whole life. I have always fed him well and taken care of him myself well.

Last edited:
The biggest factor is his age--the returns are greatly diminished while the possibility of complications is increased substantially. If it's there but not growing exponentially I'd let it take it's course--if it's malignant, it's probably too late. We had a dog that started limping and found out it was advanced bone cancer that had already spread--we had him with us for three more months til he got a huge lump on the side of his neck and we had to say goodbye then. Our ancient Great Dane just passed too, but it was purely old age and we'd expected for a while to have to say the last goodbye. It's so hard having these companions that you'll outlive, but the rewards they bring to our lives are worth the eventual heart break. Any time before my bunnies have surgery, I always ask , "how many do you do in a months time?" The males I had neutered in town when we lived in Calif, but the females took a 40 mile drive as the Vet in Oakley did more than 10 a week and was also less than a third of what any other one charged--I got a break because they were all rescues too. Good luck, you're both in our prayers.

Thank you for your response. He is very old now. He is a 10.5 year old dwarf rabbit, and I think he is actually closer to 11. Still seems to be eating fine and drinking, and eating his treats, but still lethargic and in the corner of his cage a lot. I was crying earlier about him and he came to me like he was trying to make me feel better.

I am still not sure what I want to do. I still have the surgery scheduled, but I am trying to still make the decision of whether I want to put him through it at his age. When I think about it, on one hand he seems to be just fine besides the blindness and tumor, and on the other he is very close to the high end of a dwarf rabbit's lifespan, and while surgery may be successful, it may also be hard after the fact for him if he survives. I feel like I really want to try, but my mind keeps switching to the heartbreaking fact that he is elderly and I wonder how much time he'll have left after the tumor removal and if he will go through any pain and suffering.

On a positive note he seems to not be in pain and he is eating and drink a lot, and popping/peeing just fine.

I may go back to the vet and get the blood test first to determine the problem. I am still not sure if putting him through surgery is a good idea for his age. I pray it isn't cancer and that it is just a growth.

He is litter trained but since I found the tumor I've been keeping him in the cage to prevent him for having accidents on the floor, and I let him out with supervision. I think it is best because he is also blind in both eyes.

Thank you everyone who responded. As of tomorrow, I will be getting my bunny euthanized. I am very sad I have to let him go, but he is too sick to continue. :(

It was hard, as expected. My little baby is an angel now. I will love him forever and always. :rose:

I buried him in a beautiful place along with his favorite toy and favorite treat. He passed peacefully and he will be forever missed.

Latest posts

Back