Rabbit has problem walking? (RESOLVED)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys guys...she seems to have something else wrong with her :tears2: I was feeling around her back scratching around her neck and what I thought was her bone...was actually some sort of hard lump near her right shoulder...now she doesn't seem to be able to feel it...any idea on what it might be? It's morning now...and she's still in the same condition as yesterday...still alert and eating but hasn't used her legs. (Day 1)

Photos, please?
I am wondering if she is simply terribly swollen.
Is her neck in proper position?

How is the poo and pee? Glad to hear she is still eating.. that's very good. How's the water intake today?

Nono its some sort of lump...I'll try take a picture now...it was there a few days before...I thought it was just her bone but now I see it isn't...and I think it has increased in size. I'm gonna ring up the vet today (in 2.5 hours when they're open)...but i don't know if I can go in today unless she pushes me in front of the queue cuz I have to work in the afternoon :(

She is incredibly adorable.

Metacam is used pretty extensively in rabbits. It's the only veterinary anti-inflammatory. I would not worry about not getting steroids for her--their use is controversial in rabbits. Metacam is probably the best course of action.

I cannot tell from your description if she has bowel/urinary control, since babies frequently pee wherever they feel like it as well.

I don't know what the shoulder/neck thing you're talking about it, but it worries me. If it is along the spine, it could be a problem with the meninges (the lining of the brain and spinal cord). Swelling in the spinal cord due to inflammation and injury could progress to swelling in the brain and that would be terrible. However, usually if the meninges are swollen, the neck hurts a lot. For instance, people with swollen meninges cannot touch their chin to their chest without terrible pain. If you think this swelling is along her spine, that might be a condition in which a steroid would be helpful, I'd get her to the vet ASAP. Steroids are drugs that end in -one or -oid, usually, like dexamethasone.

It's not along the spine. Please don't make assumptions. It's near the 'shoulder'..I'll try and upload pics but the pics aren't very good...can't believe I paid so much for a CRAP camera but anyway..*sigh*

How do you put an image onto here?

Here is a visual guide to posting photos: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=36422&forum_id=66

I don't think she was trying to offend you, my friend :hug:
.. just offering a possible treatment for the situation (if Mochi has somehow wrenched her neck, resulting in the lump you feel).

Hopefully, the lump will be clear from the photo :)

How is Mochi doing? Still got the As going on?

Ugh!!! Now the battery in my camera died and it won't upload to the computer!! No matter...I'm going to the vet's again in half an hour...unfortunately the vet who looked at her yesterday won't be there so I'll get a different one. *sigh*...this is costing me a lot of time, effort, pain and money. I just wonder if it'll be for nothing except for peace of mind that I did everything I could.

Ok I'm back from the vets now...I don't know the standard procedure of removing an abscess but the Dr (who's just a veterinarian whereas I had a veterinary surgeon yesterday) was very young and she used her fingers to try and squeeze out the puss...she then said we must flush it 3 times a day with water (she showed me how to do this and it seems like she's just flushing the pus into the rabbit's body)...I dunno it was a cause of alarm for me...then she proceeded to give Mochi an antibiotic injection and gave me an oral antibiotic for her to take. I dunno but is this how it's done?? She didn't use an antiseptic to flush it out or anything!!!! What the?!?!

Well, it's one way of doing it, just an old-fashioned way. The water should get the pus out of the wound, not farther into it, that worries me. The antibiotic injection sounds good.

We'd prefer that the vet not try to open the abscess--usually doesn't help a lot and it can re-form. The best way to treat abscesses in rabbits appears to be injectible penicillin G.

Here's a link to a study on that: http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/o/morfz/pdf/bicillin.pdf

She says to keep the abscess open and not let it heal over until all the pus is flushed out...well all I could do was just watch her...she's the doctor and I'm not. She gave Mochi a Baytril Oral Solution and Baytril 5%/Enrotril Injection. *sigh* and Mochi is always leaning over on one side...makes me worried about that foot on that side...how it's probably less healthy than the one she's not leaning on...I just gave her today's anti-inflammatory...*sigh* she's such a good girl...she's so brave through everything...it breaks me heart to see her in such a mess :cry2

Pipp wrote:
No disrespect, but I don't think euthanization is the vet's call. That's up to the bunny's guardians. As long as she's not in unmanageable pain, she can survive with paralysis.

Many other cases, but check out Cheryl's Jack, also in Australia:

Update on Jack

sas :clover:
amen--just as you state pipp,,i would not have my cottontail--if i had ears.....rrr,,in leu of surgery- it was said pts..whew/what,,-my head spun around a few times on that one.//.--living a healthy happy life--.sincerely james-waller:wave::bunnydance::inlove::pink iris:

asianangel wrote:
Ok I'm back from the vets now...I don't know the standard procedure of removing an abscess but the Dr (who's just a veterinarian whereas I had a veterinary surgeon yesterday) was very young and she used her fingers to try and squeeze out the puss...she then said we must flush it 3 times a day with water (she showed me how to do this and it seems like she's just flushing the pus into the rabbit's body)...I dunno it was a cause of alarm for me...then she proceeded to give Mochi an antibiotic injection and gave me an oral antibiotic for her to take. I dunno but is this how it's done?? She didn't use an antiseptic to flush it out or anything!!!! What the?!?!
this is one for randy/ra7751....abscess/oh,oh..where is this abscess.??they-must -do a biopsy.??.these are generally removed like a cancer,,though there are some that can be treated with proper antibiotics,,penicillin g.?.unless the bacteria is resistant to this med,,we are talking injections and oral,,it is extremely important to know what bacteria is being fought,,i do not have much faith in baytril-alone,- helping,,need local injections/radiographs of the area,,-sincerely james waller:wave::rose:

Oh man... :hug:

So, the lump in the shoulder has been determined to be an abscess, eh?

If you are not confident in this new, young vet (and it doesn't sound like you are), that is OK. Doesn't sound like she is using current methodology, and she's not making you comfortable.

It is more than OK to get a second opinion or switch care teams. Trust your gut instinct.

There are two vets in Sydney that I have found here on the Australian Vet list:
Castle Hill Vets
David Vella <- I really like the sound of him.

Perhaps give them a call, explain the situation...? If nothing else, they may agree to consult with your current vet team.

How is the little girl for alertness, affection and appetite? Still pain free?

:hug: to you, your family and Mochi
:pray:

Hello again, I'm back from school and have just checked on Mochi. Honestly, that open wound on her shoulder really worries me - I'm afraid it'll get infected =/

She's got the three As and she looks well. Well...maybe not so much for affection but she hasn't really bonded with us that much so far. I think she likes head pats though :D

She's still got some movement in her legs though, which is good, I'm just hoping the nerves don't die.

I really wish I could do something to help. Being a teenager sucks, Mum won't even let me get a job to help out =3= I sit near her when I'm doing my homework though, so I'll keep an eye on her. Mochi's a trooper she is. I just hope she gets better soon.

EDIT: Those vets are sorta far from where we live though. The drive to Crow's Nest takes...perhaps an hour and I'm not sure about Castle Hill. Then again I can't drive so *shrug* And the public transport is terrible >.> Thanks for trying to help anyway though.

A bad bruise is not cause for putting a bun down.. pain meds are necessary and limited movement of the bun is critical.

Is she eating and pooping? Drinking enough water? These are the critical "tell tale" signs (along with their movement, but she should be limited to not jumping about at all - hopping fine to get from point A to B, but limited)..

Please update and fingers crossed for the best!

The wound IS an infection, it's just open now. Before it was closed. Now you can see it so it looks worse to you.

Some abscesses can be treated easily, some not. Depends on the abscess. I think usually if they are sitting in a capsule that can be easily removed with surgery (or drained and flushed), the Vets will do that.

If they have tentacles or are attached to something, they may only go the antibiotics route. They'll see how it responds to the current combination and take it from there.

Also, different abscesses respond to different antibiotics. (It gets pretty complicated).

Give it some time.

Mochi wrote:
EDIT: Those vets are sorta far from where we live though. The drive to Crow's Nest takes...perhaps an hour and I'm not sure about Castle Hill. Then again I can't drive so *shrug* And the public transport is terrible >.> Thanks for trying to help anyway though.

I think what Autumn was saying was that your Vet could consult with them by phone.

sas :pray:

I'm worried about the wound closing and me not being able to get all the pus out (not having experience and all)...I mean shouldn't the vet have taken it all out??? Seems like she did some half assed job and I'm afraid of the wound closing (I came home and it looks closed somewhat, I can't keep trying to open it every hour of the night!! Also I'm scared I'll hurt Mochi if I play around with that wound too much. GRR wish I had the vet surgeon work on her.

NO! She didn't...which is why I'm freaking out. And 3 times to the vet in 2 days is a bit much...I'm not having her look at it again cuz I'm not paying again for her incompetence.

Latest posts

Back