Rabbit has problem walking? (RESOLVED)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mochi

Reaction score
Yesterday my family bought an adorable 8 week old Netherlands dwarf rabbit who we've called Mochi. (She's positively tiny; you can hold her in cupped hands!)

But I've noticed she seems to have a bit of a problem walking on our floorboards. She doesn't really walk or hop on them, she actually appears to slide a bit with her legs spread out. When we put her on the rug to run around, she sort of drags her back legs - she'll stretch out to full body length and then pull her legs close to her body again. She kinda walks on tip-toes. She can still walk and run and everything (she acutally runs better than she walks), I'm just a bit worried.

Should I be worried or does this problem go away once her feet are big enough?

Thank you for your time.

When I had baby buns they seemed to walk that way until they got the gist of hopping but that was when they were very wee like a few weeks old? Someone else will hopefully know more :)

That could be a problem, although it is probably normal. Is it possible she's younger than they said?

Do you know the breeder or how she was housed before you got her?

Give her another day or two to get used to her surroundings.

sas :bunnydance:

Baby buns often don't do well on slippery floorboards. Rabbit bones in the first few weeks of life tend to be very soft, and are vulnerable to a slippery housing surface; there is potential for splay leg. Also don't want to strain muscles through slipping :)

I would keep the baby on the carpet as much as possible, until her legs strengthen a bit more. One of my adult males still refuses to set a paw on any uncarpeted floor if he can help it.

But, as Pipp said, there may be another factor in play. Keep an eye on it for sure!

My adult rabbit has a lot of trouble with hardwood floors. He has been using the floors for a year, but he'll still often act like he just can't keep his feet from sliding. I think it comes more from his fear and anxiety of the floors than anything else. He can hop across them, he just gets nervous and uncomfortable.

She may grow out of it, or she may remain very cautious of the floors. Bunnies don't have pads on the bottom of their feet like dogs, just fur, so it's natural that they slip a bit.

Try putting her on carpet and see how she does. If she has motor problems, they will show up on carpet. If it's only the hardwood she has problems with, I think that's perfectly normal.

The breeder said she was eight weeks, but she was the smallest of the group of rabbits they had for sale. Even the other eight week rabbit was a bit bigger than her, so she could be younger.

We put her on carpet and she appears to be dragging her legs around on carpet too. Also we put her on the floorboards and even a glass coffee table the day before, and she was hopping and walking around no problem. I'm afraid she might have hurt herself somehow.

We're taking her to a vet today. It could be nothing but I don't want to take any chances.

Hey everyone, I'm Mochi's(username, not the bunny LOL) older sis...and Mochi doesn't look good right now...she is dragging her legs more than before and relying heavily on front paws. I'm really scared...her vet appointment with the RSPCA is in about 7 hours (couldn't get an earlier one). Please pray that she'll be ok...I'm so worried...

I'd keep her immobilized in a carrier until you get to the Vet.

Hopefully its something that can be corrected with rest. Sometime anti-inflammatories will help, some may try steroids.

Its good she's getting to the vet. If it was an injury, its important to have it treated quickly.

sas :pray:

Hey everyone! I am able to push the appointment earlier so I'll be there in half an hour!!! Work cancelled on me so I guess that is a blessing in disguise...I really do need money but I have enough to shell out a lot for Mochi...I hope it's something fixable! Will update when I get back...the vet said she needs to see her immediately...that doesn't sound good :(

Aww thanks NorthernAutumn. The bunny is at the vet's now...she said it's to do with her back...and they don't know if its only bruised or a slipped disk or broken...she has lost some feeling in her legs but not all..they're going to take X-rays to confirm...God I pray everything will be ok :(...I'm doing everything I can.

This wasn't in the Infirmary? :shock:

It sounds like your Vets knows what they're doing. Bunnies can often come back from these injuries when they're treated quickly.

I assume her youth and partial feeling is in her favor.

The x-rays will tell them exactly what they're dealing with.

Good job re: getting her in there so quickly.

sas :pray:

asianangel wrote:
Aww thanks NorthernAutumn. The bunny is at the vet's now...she said it's to do with her back...and they don't know if its only bruised or a slipped disk or broken...she has lost some feeling in her legs but not all..they're going to take X-rays to confirm...God I pray everything will be ok :(...I'm doing everything I can.
i fear,,weaned too early,,and neurological problems--could be genetics,,or suffered a fall../.radiographs will shed light on the problem,,whether it is fixable or not,..hoping for best...sincerely james waller:wave::rose:

UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! Got a call back from the vet doctor and she said there is no broken bone or slipped disk...might just be some bruising but the x-rays look good...*phew*...I'm glad I spent the $100...its worth it for a peace of mind. She said I should go pick Mochi up in 2 hours and she will explain in detail...right now they put her on some inflammatory drugs...

I'm still praying that she will make a full recovery...thanks for all the support guys =) This forum is great.

Is there a chance of a full recovery? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Back