Rabbit has problem walking? (RESOLVED)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pipp wrote:
Mochi wrote:
Oh, I've noticed that she's been shaking her head a lot lately. Is that a good thing?

No, not really. Something else to keep an eye on.

Is she pawing at her ears or just shaking her head? Is it slightly tilting to one side or the other?

When does she do it?

Bunnies will clean their ears with their hind feet toenails, which she can't do at the moment. It could be bothering her. That's something the Vet should have looked at, but its only been a few days and they can't think of everything.

Check as best you can visually to make sure they don't have flakey bits (mites) or their red/yellowish deep into the ear (possible infection).

If she has one ear redder than the other or red/purple lines developing, it will be an immediate concern.

It may just be a bit of a build-up of wax that she'd instinctually like to be able to dig out but can't, though.

I'll check to see if there's a safe way to clean them. I don't touch my buns' ears, too easy to rupture their eardrum.

sas :clover:
He did check that. It was alright. He checked everything...teeth, ears, fur, bottom. He's the best. I'm serious! I would trust Mochi's life with him. I'm serious! :D

Ignore my sister...she's just bringing up non issues...I saw him check everything. -.-;; She wasn't there when it happened and has too much time to over analyse stuff.

Pipp wrote:
asianangel wrote:
Wow so putting medicinal honey could really help? I have some active high quality manuka honey in the pantry!

Is it medical honey? X-rayed, as described in the MediRabbit article? That might be great, ask the vet, or at least print out the MediRabbit article for the Vet and see if it fits the bill.

Just for future reference Manuka honey is a great healer it's a active honey unlike your clover etc and whenever I have a cut or wound I just slather a bit in and it heals up super fast,Dr's here actually prescribe it too haha.Heres a bit about it http://manukahoney.com/have to cry at the price it's been sold overseas for though blimen crazy! Sounds like you guys are great bunny Mum's and hope she gets better quickly :)

LOL! Half binkies make perfect sense!

If the abscess is where she can lick it, best forgo the honey. Her little gut is already dealing with coccidia, stick to fiber -- hay and pellets and veggies if she's used to them. No carbs, no sweets.

If she's getting grass, make sure its fresh and not cuttings.

If it hasn't come up before, best to only feed her what's she's used to -- grass, hay, pellets, veggies, whatever she was getting before you got her if you know what she had. Introduce everything else slowly. No abrupt diet changes.

In case she does have any diet upsets, keep Pedialyte, plain canned pumpkin (if you have it there)and a pro-biotic like acidophilus or bene-bac handy. (A probiotic that's kept in the fridge is preferable). And Critical Care, the feeding formula.

That's a good emergency kit to have on hand regardless.

Thanks Pipp I'm well informed now =) Nah I didn't use honey...I didn't want to mess with something I have no experience in.

In my lil shoebox (carrier would be too big) to take her to the vets I put all the stuff she eats in there too in case she gets hungry. I put pellets, fresh grass, hay and dandelion leaves. Good thing I put everything there cuz the vet had a good look at what I was feeding her and told me NOT to feed her pellets anymore but continue feeding the other stuff. He gave me a sheet of information to read (i think it can also be downloaded from his website www.davidvella.com.au) so I would be well informed. Rabbits eat grass in the wild and that's what they've evolved to eat so he recommended only feeding pellets occasionally. He's a big fan of grass, hay and dandelion leaves...which Mochi loooves and it's very healthy for her=) My lawn is clean as a whistle now lol...wish I had more dandelion to pick.

I like your Vet. :) But if she's a baby and an indoor rabbit (and a baby) I think a few pellets will help replace nutrients she'd normally get from the sun.

But yah, big fan here too of a natural diet - hay, grass, weeds, bark, veggies...

Remember the volume required is substantial. A rabbit can eat its weight in food like that every day. In their natural environment, they spend a lot of time constantly foraging and munching away.

Unlimited hay augmented with the other stuff is the best and easiest here, although your common hay is lucerne, not as good. Not sure what else you can get down there.

As noted grass clippings aren't good, apparently they can easily ferment in the bunny's gut, and not an option come winter, anyway.

Trays of wheatgrass are great, but you'll be hard pressed to keep up! She'll mow down a tray of it in seconds.

But a big variety of hay and veggies, pesticide-free dried fruit tree and other dried branches, various safe berry leaves, etc, with a teaspoonful of low-protein/high fibre pellets I'd say is the healthiest.

sas :)

What's grass clipping? Do u mean the stuff after you mow your lawn? I've never given any of my rabbits that...I just pick blades of grass out of the ground for her with my hands. That's okay right? I've been doing that for ages.

My mum just picked LOADS of dandelion leaves from out neighbour's lawn (we asked them beforehand if they sprayed their weeds to make sure they don't have chemicals) and Mochi ate ALL of it!! Scary how much they can eat! But it's good..she's gaining weight and growing which is a good sign for a baby rabbit (vet reckons she's younger than 8 wks).

I live in Australia so we still have grass in Winter...not really an issue :) Our winters aren't cold and we don't get snow. Also I give her the occasional sprig of lavender hehe.

I soo can't stop raving about my vet! I've learnt so much from him and can call him anytime I want to ask questions =)!

But still...keep praying for Mochi's legs...I really want her to get better...just killing me right now to look at her *sigh* I love you guys...so supportive and I've learnt a lot!!!

asianangel wrote:
My mum just picked LOADS of dandelion leaves from out neighbour's lawn (we asked them beforehand if they sprayed their weeds to make sure they don't have chemicals) and Mochi ate ALL of it!! Scary how much they can eat!

When I first got Pipp -- a baby dwarf at the time -- I went and dug up this HUGE dandelion plant and replanted it in a big pot in my room thinking she could nibble on it for a few days.

I walked out of the room to get some water, came back and all that was left was the root bits in the dirt! :shock:

And yup, pulled fresh grass, not cut with a machine, or left out too long.

Also, wet spring grass should be fed with caution, thought to cause bloat.

sas :)

Pipp wrote
When I first got Pipp -- a baby dwarf at the time -- I went and dug up this HUGE dandelion plant and replanted it in a big pot in my room thinking she could nibble on it for a few days.

I walked out of the room to get some water, came back and all that was left was the root bits in the dirt! :shock:
LOL!!! AWWWW too cute!!!!

It sounds like you've got a good vet now, and lots of good advice already in this thread. I agree that some pellets could help, especially for a growing bunny.

I really like this discussion of honey--I've seen it used (on tv of course) on wounds, and it makes a lot of biological sense for some wounds.

My boyfriend who is also a scientist did some microbiological research on bees and honey. In a typical hive, the honey is the thing that contains the least microbes (fungus, bacteria). It's almost sterile, and the high concentration of sugar in it seems to keep things from growing in it. It also draws liquid out of the wound, so you don't need to install a drain into the wound. Of course, a lot more info needs to be collected on it and I wouldn't do it w/o medical grade honey or under the care of a doctor, but it's nice when traditional remedies have some truth in them.

Oh no! I found another abscess on her. I don't know how we missed these things :( Sometimes you don't feel them until they're big. Back to see David Vella on Monday...5 trips to the vets in a week is a bit much. The things I'd do for Mochi...*sigh*.

Hey everybody! I have a huge update! Mochi is able to stand a bit on both legs now!! She can hop a bit too!! Recovery will be quick now as the worst of it is over =) All abscess are taken care of. Well I can now stop worrying about her being put down/never walking again. She is a little fighter and has fought this thing sooo beautifully. Mad props to David Vella...he is such a lovely, miracle working man ! Best vet EVER!!!! SERIOUS!! =) Thanks everyone who prayed for us and gave us tips. Thank God!!! This thread can now sport a 'resolved' in its title!! =) =)

She is running around fast like a bullet now!!! She is 100% better!!! Thank God and my AMAZING vet!!

Back