Rabbit gone into shock?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starlie

Reaction score
This morning when I woke up I went over to feed my 2 buns and they came running over. Just then my younger brother stomped into the room really loudly and they went ballistic, scrambling and thrashing around. When they slowed down my male rabbit was fine, just a little spooked, but my female rabbit was frozen in place, her front arms splayed out. I tried nudging her, petting her, holding her, but she wasn't coming to. Her nose was twitching and she was breathing a little quickly. I was panicking because I didn't know what to do or what happened to her. Eventually, after 6 or 7 minutes, she got up, and I was so relieved. She stomped when he tried to go near her but after a while they calmed down. They still haven't eaten, but they're grooming each other in a corner now. What do you think happened to her, and are there any symptoms I need to watch out for? Their general checkups are soon but I'm really worried.

Yes, rabbits can experience a type of temporary shock called tonic immobility. It's a fear response, and a prey response to a predator to give the appearance of death that can allow the rabbit to escape if the predator thinks it's dead.

You do want to keep an eye on your rabbit to make sure she continues to improve, or if you have any concerns, take your rabbit in to get a check over by your vet. There is a slight possibility that if your rabbit has any underlying heart issues, that this could have caused injury to the heart. But if your rabbits heart is fine, then most often rabbits will recover from this with no ill effects.

It is important they start eating soon, especially your girl bun, as she could have depleted her blood sugar with the sudden fright. I would try offering some of their favorite foods to tempt them to start eating soon. If it goes more than 12-24 hours since they last ate or if their condition deteriorates sooner, then they will need to go to the vet right away.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
One thing I would suggest to help prevent this from happening again, is to provide hidey holes and tunnels, that they'll know they have these safe spots to 'escape' to when something does frighten them.

When she fully recovers you might want to “very slowly and carefully” try desensitizing your bunny to loud noises.

You can probably start by talking a little louder than you normally would or maybe stomping once or twice where they can see you. If you are currently tiptoeing into their room or trying to be extra quiet, just step in normally where they can hear you and talk in a normal tone of voice. They will gradually adapt to that new norm.

As they more used to the every day stuff you can also play short YouTube videos with the sounds of thunder, fireworks, etc. That way if anything happens in the future (if you aren’t there), they will be more used to loud noises and will be less likely to go into shock.

Latest posts

Back