Rabbit Gagged after Medicine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaCat

Reaction score
My bunny had a short bout of stasis earlier in the week and has to have a few meds. About 40 minutes ago I gave him about 1 mL of metoclopramide and .1 mL of Cisapride holding him kind of upright in my arms and he struggled a little. When I put him down he gagged, and now about every 5-10 minutes he sneezes or gags. I think it is getting less frequent. He is acting normal and eating.

I texted the vet and they said it’s unlikely but not impossible that he aspirated a small amount of the liquid and to monitor for worsening cough/sneeze and abdominal effort in breathing and that it would take about 12 hours for changes in the lungs to occur.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I’m terrified!

Maybe he just got to much of a mouthful at one time. With syringing meds, it's important to go slowly, a little bit at a time, giving bun time to chew and swallow each mouthful.

Since rabbits don't have a vomit reflex, aspiration does sound possible. Hopefully not though, or at least not enough it got into his lungs. But definitely keep a close eye on him and get to the vet if there's any concerns about his breathing.

As for giving medication, usually I take a pinch of kitchen oatmeal, about a teaspoon, and sometimes mix a little mushed apple with it and put the medicine on that. Workes like a charm for me as long as the rabbit is still eating anything.

update: I did take him to the vet last night because the gag-sneezing lasted an hour and a half. They said everything was normal and to just watch for labored breathing. It’s now been 24 hours and he’s doing fine!

update: I did take him to the vet last night because the gag-sneezing lasted an hour and a half. They said everything was normal and to just watch for labored breathing. It’s now been 24 hours and he’s doing fine!
That’s wonderful that you’ve been proactive
Happy your bun is doing better! Good for you taking the extra care!! Hugs 🤗

Latest posts

Back