Rabbit eating corflute!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anfronio

Reaction score
Hi all!
My female 3 month old bunny lives in a C&C grid cage which is lined with a corflute (corrugated plastic) box inside to keep mess from getting out. I have an early photo here: http://i.imgur.com/Nf004T1.jpg (note the fleece inside now covers the edges)

Recently, she's been chewing on the corrugated plastic edges. She hasn't shown any outward signs of anything being wrong and is behaving as normal. However, I am a little worried this may cause problems in the future if she eats too much (they are also held together by duct tape). She has plenty in her cage to chew on, so does anyone have any suggestions on how I can either stop her from chewing it?
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Give her something else to chew on, put wooden boards where she likes to chew.

When they have enough to chew on, like branches and twigs of safe trees, mine even ignore power cords and USB cables.

Does covering the edges of the coroplast (never heard it called corflute) with the fleece stop her from chewing it? That may be your simplest solution. You can use clips to hold the fleece on the top edge of the coroplast. Be sure she has plenty of hay and perhaps some seagrass mats and/or wicker balls to chew on.

On a side note, how does she get in and out of the cage? Can she hop in and out of that opening with the panel down? I see your bunny is still young but you may want to consider reinforcing the cage with zip ties. Those plastic connectors have been known to break loose with rabbits (fine for guinea pigs). With the zip ties, it is easier to create doorways. Then you could have a lower grid open to allow access in and out of the cage.

Once she's a month older, you can remove the ramp. She would be able to hop to the upper level and that would provide more space as well. They don't really need ramps.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the helpful tips. At the moment she does have some seagrass mats (which now form the traction on the ramp) and she had another wicker tunnel which is now destroyed. I'll look at getting her some safe branches and more chew toys to keep her happy.

I think corflute is the Australian term for coroplast. The edges were covered but I was watching her today (hadn't seen it happen before) as she would aggressively dig and pull the fleece off the edges, even though I had tucked it underneath and there was even a hole in the fleece where she had been chewing. As she's entering her teenage years it could be a hormonal thing, but I will also take your suggestions to make sure she isn't bored - my family has had rabbits before but this is my first time taking care of one by myself.

At the moment, she does not have a way out of her cage. I still live with my parents and do not have a safe space where she could leave her cage (currently in the process of trying to convince my parents - their house their rules etc.) so when I am home from work/university I let her run around while I supervise. But I am hoping that I can set up a room for her to freely run around as she is litter trained - she is a bit cheeky though and finds ways to squeeze into any nook and cranny she sets her mind on!

Thanks for the tip with the ramp! She's been hopping up and down off my bed so I'll be sure to remove it soon.

Latest posts

Back