Rabbit Dental Costs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZahraJ14

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my rabbits stopped chewing on the things i give him like wood sticks and all of that and it’s caused his teeth to overgrow and is causing him a bit of trouble. I’ve contacted the vets for an appointment but I just wanted to know, how much would it cost to get his teeth trimmed down roughly?

Can't tell about the costs, but it's a misconception that chewing on sticks and stuff wears their teeth down. It's the chewing motion when eating gras, hay, weeds, leafs etc., then the incisors rub at each other and wear each other down. Pellets, solid vegetables, or even grains require different chewing, more ath the molars, too much of that in relation to the other stuff can cause problems with some rabbits.
Then there is the problem that mostly small breeds with cute faces have a higher risk of misaligned teeth, and that quite complicated process doesn't work right.
It's more likely your rabbits stopped gnawing stuff because of the teeth, not the other way round.

After reading here for some time I think it would be a good idea to ask for recommandations for an experienced vet in your area and put the financial aspect behind that criteria.

Yes, just a quick add on, I own Netherland Dwarfs (they have big baby faces) and they tend to have buck teeth (malocclusion) which is when the bottom teeth overlap the front teeth. So if your rabbit has long teeth I’d watch for that. Also most show breeders cut their own rabbits teeth, so they might cut your rabbits for a low price.

Hi everyone, my rabbits stopped chewing on the things i give him like wood sticks and all of that and it’s caused his teeth to overgrow and is causing him a bit of trouble. I’ve contacted the vets for an appointment but I just wanted to know, how much would it cost to get his teeth trimmed down roughly?
I assume you mean his incisors are overgrown. It is quite possible there is a molar problem too in that case. Anyway, take him to the vet asap. If it is an incisor malocclusion problem then often the best thing is to have all incisors and peg teeth removed. Never let anyone clip teeth, it can cause fractures and infections. Teeth need to be burred. Really important you take him to a good rabbit vet. If you are in London, UK, I highly recommend the Beaumont Hospital in Camden. Several excellent rabbits vets there. RVC Small Animal Veterinary Practice and Hospital

..... Also most show breeders cut their own rabbits teeth, so they might cut your rabbits for a low price.

Really? I don't know much about showing, but I would have expected that misaligned and overgrowing teeth would be an instant DQ since that's not what breeding for health is about. I would be awfully surprised if torture bred animals that only survive with regulary surgical proceedures, and suffer a lot if it isn't done, can be shown.

My Netherland Dwarf had his teeth trimmed two weeks ago. He has bad teeth on just one side. It cost $120. No x-rays were taken.

Really? I don't know much about showing, but I would have expected that misaligned and overgrowing teeth would be an instant DQ since that's not what breeding for health is about. I would be awfully surprised if torture bred animals that only survive with regulary surgical proceedures, and suffer a lot if it isn't done, can be shown.
They actually can’t show them after they get buck teeth even if it corrects itself. But they do cut them so that they can try to realign them so they can be sold as pets. They do occasionally cut them when the teeth are too long and just use that rabbit for breeding instead (it might be ok to cut long teeth and still show, I’m not 100% sure)

I'd suggest to go to the vet for the trim, they'll use the right equipment to trim your bun's teeth. Just like what Diane said, using clippers to cut their teeth is dangerous and can break the wrong way and bacteria could get it :(

This video might help :)

They actually can’t show them after they get buck teeth even if it corrects itself. But they do cut them so that they can try to realign them so they can be sold as pets. They do occasionally cut them when the teeth are too long and just use that rabbit for breeding instead (it might be ok to cut long teeth and still show, I’m not 100% sure)

I'm kinda stumped. Dental problems imho are not something rabbits just have, because of being rabbits. That's bad genetics at work there, when reasonable diet is provided. In my opinion that is a serious health issue. I would never pet out a rabbit prone to something like that, that's dumping the responsibility, huge costs and worries on the new owner. As I see it, a irresposible way to get rid of a problem I created. There is a difference between peting out culls because of not showable colours or not being an asset to the breeding program but otherwise perfectly healthy rabbits, and getting rid of sick, deformed rabbits. I would never do that, I don't even sell rabbits who are too skittish.

Using such a rabbit for breeding doesn't even cross my mind. Gosh, that's just carrying that problem into the future and multiplying it. Who would do that? Bad enough when you breed a young rabbit and discover later on that there's an issue, but on purpose? Nope.

Back