Rabbit coughing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meghan910

Reaction score
I've notived that every once in awhile, my rabbitwill be laying down looking like it's asleep and then it'll startmoving it's head, like it's coughing. There's no noise. I felt it whenit was doing it.Is it a hair ball? What can you give it so itwon't have hair balls. Thanx.

Meghan

lol no i dont think so i beleive your bun justhas the hicups lol when i got lyla she was laying on the floor and kindconvulsing in the way humans do when they have the hicupd (i may not bedescribing this the best i can sorry) so i panickied itohught something was wrong and i looked up if rabbits can hiccup andindded they can.

to prevent hairballs feed your bun lots of hay.

hope this helps and puts your mind to ease good luck!

sara

Dried papaya and /or dried pineappleare often recommended to help push the fur through the intestinalsystem. The papain and bromelain in those items disolve the mucus thatbinds the fur together. You'll know if it is working when yousee "string of pearls" or "stringers" on the wire floor.

Try to get dried fruit without added sugar, as the sugar does the bunsno good other than make it tasty. Fresh pineapple juice,fresh papaya juice and fresh fruit flesh work equally as well, but aremore problematic to obtain and expensive. Your localsupermarket may have a salad bar that contains those items, making itunnecessary to buy and process a whole pineapple or papaya.

Canning process makes the above ineffective for fur block treatment.

Buck

Rabbits are not able to cough up hair balls orregurgitate. Everything goes through their GItract. Like mentioned above, give him/her lots of hay andperhaps papaya tablets.

In my opinion, I'd get your bunny checked out. Coughing is not a good sign.

Latest posts

Back