Rabbit companion

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Me and My Bun

Reaction score
If I have an unspayed female (unspayed due to vets being to expensive and im not allowed to), would it be okay to get a nuetered male for a companion for her? She likes playing with the kittens and I think she needs a friend. I would get one but i need to be sure its ok....... Thanks in advance!

Are you looking for a 2nd rabbit because you will have to keep them outside? I remember you were considering the garage but I thought that was ruled out since it gets far too hot in summer.

Can't recall if you currently have an outdoor setup. Is it just a hutch or is there a safe run also? (photo?)

It is possible for some spayed females to bond with a neutered male but not sure how you could do that. The fixed males from rabbit rescues usually don't allow their rabbits to go to a home with intact rabbits. They may not allow them to go to outdoor housing either (depending on the rescue). What would happen if a male doesn't bond with your girl? It isn't advised to house single rabbits outdoors.

If your parents won't allow you to spay your girl, what happens if she (or a 2nd rabbit) require vet care? Would that be a problem too? Or are you being permitted to house indoors?

So its not ok?
For a neutered buck and a doe to house together? I'll still spend the same amount of time with her (if not more) even though she's in the garage (also her best friends the kittens will be there).

It would be ok, that's a quite common combination over here.

But as Blue eyes said, there's more to consider. I spent way more on necessary vet visits than the spay of my girl did cost.

Indoors, a single bun is ok. Outdoors, you need two.

You said it gets 103 F in the summertime. The garage will get too hot. (Rabbits can die of heatstroke in temps of 85F.)
If cars are parked in the garage, then gas fumes will be in there and rabbits have sensitive respiratory systems.

Indoors, a single bun is ok. Outdoors, you need two.

You said it gets 103 F in the summertime. The garage will get too hot. (Rabbits can die of heatstroke in temps of 85F.)
If cars are parked in the garage, then gas fumes will be in there and rabbits have sensitive respiratory systems.
In the summer i would have a fan, also the garage does have some cooling. Guys im just struggling with how i can make it better. Shes in the garage. Thats final (according to my parents). I just want to make it the best for her as i can. Ideas?

I just found out it just has heating. I guess id just have to use a fan...my mom also said a someone she searched used ceramic dishes that she froze then put in her rabbit hutch for the rabbits to cool themselves with.

I just found out it just has heating. I guess id just have to use a fan...my mom also said a someone she searched used ceramic dishes that she froze then put in her rabbit hutch for the rabbits to cool themselves with.
Frozen water bottles and fans (not blowing directly on rabbit) can help when things get warm, but if it gets 103F outside, the garage will be waay hotter than that - can get 20 degrees hotter than outside. Fans and ice aren't going to be enough to cool it to 85F. :(

Would keeping the garage door open help? Also IF it gets 103 then it would be probably the hottest day of the year. Mostly its just in the 90s. I know thats not much better. Frozen bottles? Her bottle?
If you keep the garage door open there is a chance a dog will get in there and kill her. Do you have a shed she could be kept in? Theo is in our shed (see picture. Sorry there are no toys, I had just finished cleaning). He gets supervised playtime at least once every day. Frozen bottles are rare for me, but when it happens I thaw them and put lukewarm water in them. You can buy a heated water bottle to prevent that from happening: https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovat...rds=heated+water+bottle&qid=1587773266&sr=8-4

Attachments

• 2019-12-27.jpg
    2019-12-27.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 3
One of our neighbors has this thing that they put under their garage door. Basically they built a frame out of wood that is about a foot tall of so and as wide as the garage door. In the middle of the frame there is mesh. If you make one and almost close your garage door, then slide it under the door so there is no space in between no dogos would get in. I hope this makes sense! Lol!

Latest posts

Back