Rabbit clothing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrizzy97

Reaction score
Hello fellow rabbit parents!

I am a new bunny mommy so I have a lot of questions and let me tell you, this platform has been a lifesaver! (Thank you to all of you who have been giving me advice so far, this community is super incredible and knowledgeable!)

My question is... what is your view on bunny clothes?

My bunny Ash gets super cold all the time and always wants to cuddle up in my blankets. He is not fully litter box trained yet so he often pees on those blankets lol. In order to save his mommy some laundry time I was wondering if it would be possible to buy him a bunny sweatshirt or hoodie? Does anyone know if there are places out there that sell these clothes, and if they are safe for rabbits? I would like to know if anyone of you have tried clothing on your rabbits, or if you would suggest not to do so. Also, if you do this, and your bun bun does not mind the clothes, please refer me to a trustworthy resource that you use. :)

Thank you all so much for your kindness and help! Can not wait to hear from you!

I would not put clothes on my rabbits because I believe they would chew them up. I know you can buy bunny diapers from bunnydiapers.com That is something I would consider if I had a disabled rabbit. I know that you can find clothes made for bunnies on Etsy.com You might try clothing made for small dogs, like Yorkies. I take rabbits to visit assisted living places, and one Halloween I bought a pumpkin costume made for small dogs for my rabbit. It was kind of like a orange vest with a face on it. My rabbit hated it. But rabbits have different personalities and if your rabbit will wear clothes, I hope you can find what you are looking for.

I am a new bunny mommy so I have a lot of questions and let me tell you, this platform has been a lifesaver! (Thank you to all of you who have been giving me advice so far, this community is super incredible and knowledgeable!)

My bunny Ash gets super cold all the time and always wants to cuddle up in my blankets. He is not fully litter box trained yet so he often pees on those blankets lol. In order to save his mommy some laundry time I was wondering if it would be possible to buy him a bunny sweatshirt or hoodie? Does anyone know if there are places out there that sell these clothes, and if they are safe for rabbits? I would like to know if anyone of you have tried clothing on your rabbits, or if you would suggest not to do so. Also, if you do this, and your bun bun does not mind the clothes, please refer me to a trustworthy resource that you use. :)

Thank you all so much for your kindness and help! Can not wait to hear from you!
My bunny was raised by the breeder as a wild rabbit, even though she is a Netherland Dwarf, so she hates harnesses and the like. I mean, if Ash is super cold, yeah, but don’t get him something uncomfortable, or the wrong size. I haven’t checked them out yet, so I don’t know brand names, sorry.

My bunny always freezing but I never let him run around with clothes. He have a reflective vest for walking outside when it’s dark. A small cute costume for christmas.

But he have a spot he can run to and warm up when he start to freeze ☺️

Attachments

• 0A70039F-E0EA-4EE3-8109-C459547DF0EF.jpeg
    0A70039F-E0EA-4EE3-8109-C459547DF0EF.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 5
  • BFBCD948-BE66-4E2F-8AB8-BF62EB1651B4.jpeg
    BFBCD948-BE66-4E2F-8AB8-BF62EB1651B4.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 5
  • FCF6A0BB-AB63-4A1C-ABD2-DC8EFBC182F1.jpeg
    FCF6A0BB-AB63-4A1C-ABD2-DC8EFBC182F1.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 5
Putting clothes on a rabbit long enough to take some photos is one thing. Keeping clothes on is a dangerous and risky idea. All's it takes is for a part of it to get snagged on something causing bunny to panic. That panic can make him bolt or squirm and that could cause serious injury like broken back or neck.

Rabbits handle cold extremely well. If we are comfortable, bunny will not be cold. He may like to burrow in a blanket to hide moreso than for warmth. If the indoors is cold enough that you need a Fall jacket or a couple sweatshirts, bunny will still likely be perfectly comfortable.

Another reason not to put clothes on is that it can restrict their normal movements and could prevent them from accessing their cecal pellets.

I would not recommend clothes of any kind for a rabbit unless it is just on for a short enough time to take a photo.

I would say overall....no don't use bunny clothes no matter how cute 😍. I wouldn't do it. I would #1 be scared it would be tight or uncomfortable #2 Rub her skin and be painful #3 snag on things or make movement hard. What you could do (and should do ;)) is make sure Ash has a super warm box(hiding place, warren, burrow, the thingamajig that they sleep in). I would put a soft blanket in her bed. That way if Ash gets cold she has a place to go. Also make sure you go to rabbit registry and make a post with some cute pics of Ash! I would ❤ love ❤ to see some pictures of Ash!

[/QUOTE can u just put a fleece blade ket in with ur bunny to keep it warm

Bunnies have a normal temperature of 103 degrees. My bun, Snowball, has never been cold except once and it was an emergency. Bunnies don't take heat very well, Snow loves laying on the vent in the summer with the air conditioning blowing on him.
The one time Snow was cold I knew he was sick and I ran him to an emergency vet because my vet couldn't see him that day. I did not know he was cold. The emergency vet took him away and put him on a heating pad,(google small pet heating pad - they are out there) and they told me his temp was low .. 97 I think. Anyway he had sludge in his bladder and he was really sick.
Once I got him back to our vet -super vet- he flushed his bladder...actually flushed it a few times over the next few weeks - yikes! He's been good since. But I have never noticed that he's cold.
The only thing I would consider if you get a small pet heating pad is how to bunny proof the cord...You don't wand little Ash to chew it.
Maybe you are really lucky and have a very lovey bunny who likes to snuggle! Good luck!

Back