Rabbit Carriers?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huckhuck

Reaction score
Could somebody recommend a great carrier (for vets, etc) with easy access for a rabbit who refuses to be held? I would like to hear what personally works for everyone. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Rabbit Forum

Hard sided carriers are best. They protect in an accident or even if you stop suddenly, as well as not being easy to chew. They are also easy to clean and disinfect if needed. One with a top door is ideal, but ones that are easy to take apart are also good and tend to be cheaper.

Most of my carriers are like this. They are easy to take apart and put together again. They are also widely available, most pet stores carry them and others stores like Walmart have them as well. You can usually find them used as well, so that can make it cheaper.
images

This kind has a door in the top, but is also easy to take apart. It can be a bit more expensive though.
images

I would not recommend going too big. The small size will work for most rabbits and give them enough room to move around. Larger rabbits or pairs may need a larger size. A larger carrier does mean there is more room for them to move around, but also more space to be thrown around in an accident. For a vet visit, they arne't apt to be moving around too much anyway.

Some carriers will come with a pad or something to put in, but most do not. You can buy pads that are made to fit more carriers, but a small towel or fleece will work just as well. You should have something so they don't slide around and so it absrobs any urine. A handful of hay in the back gives them something to munch on. A small dish for water is good, but most rabbits won't drink, it is good to have for longer trips and just in case. Some carries come with a small dish.

Seconded on hard-carriers--rabbits love to chew/dig.

That said, I do use a soft-sided carrier myself, for small dogs/cats. It has these strappy thingyies that allow me to buckle it in and it's lighter (which is good, my rabbit is already kinda heavy by himself) but my vet is like, down the street a couple blocks lol.... If you're ever going to take a longer trip, too (like, say you're visiting someone way out of town) I'd never use a soft carrier, so keep the future in mind too

i used to use a cardboard box and that worked fine with air holes and light! but now i use a carrier that you can strap a bottle to the side and is big enough for the bunnie to turn around and lie down + food bowl. quite big but at least my bunnie travels in comfort!

My buns get very nervous in a car ride so I put down a folded towel for paw traction. The least I can do is prevent them from slipping and sliding when I turn and stop. Hard sided carriers are great for reasons others mentioned. Soft carriers are lighter if you anticipate having to walk a lot with them. But know your bun: if your bunny is a chewer, hard plastic carrier all the way! I highly recommend finding one with a top opening door either in addition to or instead of a side opening door. It's much easier to plop a bun in than trying to push a reluctant bun through a side door. Also easier to fish them out when you get to the vet. Lately I've seen a lot of plastic ones that securely fasten by screwing in like 10 bolts and nuts but it drives me mad sitting there doing this for a while. Do pay attention to what the closure mechanisms are. A good carrier is secure without too much fuss.

Sent from my mobile phone

Thank you for the feedback! I like the idea of a hard carrier where the top can pull off. Im a new rabbit owner, and need a carrier for the vet when I get my very rambunctious boy neutered lol. He despises being held/handled so if I can pop the top carrier off I shouldn't have any issues. Thanks all!

Sent from my iPad using Rabbit Forum

I ditto the hard carrier suggestion with top access. I put a towel in the carrier, also, for comfort and traction.

I really like carriers with wire sides and tops too because its easy to attach a water bottle or bowl and not have it get all over the place AND they have top-opening doors so rabbits are easy-in/ easy-out. I also live in a hot area and like that these carriers don't get as warm since they have good ventilation.

I know you can buy these from KW Cages (who makes some nice stuff!) or make them yourself. (It's super-easy... I made my own). I downloaded plans from this website: http://www.everythingrabbit.com/

If you look on the left they have a "guide book".

Latest posts

Back