Rabbit antibiotic concerns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynne2809

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I know that rabbits cannot have certain antibiotics because they can cause fatal enterotoxemia. My cat is currently sick and has to take Clindamycin and Clavamox twice daily. Will my rabbit be at risk if I am handling these antibiotics to give them to my cat? I’m just worried that some of the medication will dissolve on my hands while I’m giving them to my cat, and then it will be dangerous for my rabbit since I will be touching his hay, pellets, etc. will washing my hands before I see my rabbit be sufficient? Has anybody ever handled antibiotics and then interacted with their rabbit? Thanks in advance!

As long as you don't expose your rabbit directly to the antibiotics, like feeding it, there is no worry. Washing hands will be perfectly sufficient. This stuff isn't like an infection that spreads, it needs some dose to work, or to cause adverse effects.

As long as you don't expose your rabbit directly to the antibiotics, like feeding it, there is no worry. Washing hands will be perfectly sufficient. This stuff isn't like an infection that spreads, it needs some dose to work, or to cause adverse effects.
That makes sense, thank you! I was giving my cat a capsule of Clindamycin, which she won’t take whole, so I have to open the capsule and mix it with wet food. I got it on my hands, but I just washed them before I went to see my rabbit and refill his hay. I assume any trace amounts on my hands after that wouldn’t really pose any risk?

Latest posts

Back