Questions for Rabbit Shelter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostmahal

Reaction score
on Friday i have an appointmentwith an animal shelter to pick out a bunny for me. wheni findthe one i like/bond with i want to ask the shelter some questions. icompiled a list:

• 1. did the rabbit has/had fleas, mites, allergies, sickness?
  • 2. why was the rabbit put for adoption?
  • 3. what doesthe rabbiteat now? pellets, hay, etc.
  • 4. how isthe rabbit'sbehaviour? hyperactive, docile, aggressive?
  • 5. hasthe rabbitbeen neutered?
  • 6. was the rabbit everabused?
i can not think of anything elsemore to ask the rabbit shelter. could any of you please give me somemore ideas for questions?

i also plan to do an overall check up on the rabbit, tosee ifit is healthy. also, if the rabbit has fleas/mites,worn foot soles, or has appears sick,should i still adopt therabbit??

Ask about any behavior quirks you should knowabout--specifics, not just general personality. Does he/she bite whenheld? Attack when fed? Hide in the corner? It will give you a clue towhat kind of life he/she has had.

Worn foot soles, fleas, and mites are treatable and relatively minor.Especially the foot soles, just put soft bedding in the cage. Fleas andmites can be treated also. If the rabbit appears sick, you need to knowwhy before adopting. Not necessarily ruling that rabbit out, just toknow what you're up against.

Keep in mind many shelter bunnies are neglected kids' pets and willmost likely hide,kick and stiffen when held. It will takeawhile for them to get used to it.

Have you had bunnies before?

Rose

Rabbitgirl is right on as usual. The rabbits atthe shelter will probably be timid, maybe even aggressive. Some lovin'will get them through it in time.

Back