Questions for Breeders

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, this was the part of the policy that I was wondering about:

Except for show purposes, at no time will a (rabbitry name) rabbit leave the Buyer’s residence intact for any reason, including but not limited to the sale, replacement, gift, pet, or paid/free lease purposes.

Like I can never leave the rabbit with a friend or family when I vacation? Can't take him/her to an on location photo shoot? With the above requirement, I just don't know if I would ever really feel like our bunny was 'ours'.

I understand but I think they mean permanently leaving your residence. They have a super strict policy and my mom agrees. If you find another breeder I might go with another instead.

I found someone who knows holland breeders in WA!! Ill send you her message :D

Last edited:
I think you may be right & I am probably taking it too literally lol. I really do like their rabbits and am thinking that I may contact them still. Thank you again for finding me those references too Sarah!

I have a little update! One of the litters I am wait listed on has kindled! There are 3 kits in the litter & I am #4 on the waitlist but 2 of them want does so if there are two bucks in the litter, then I should be getting one of them! Both parents have their G.C.'s and are just gorgeous! Please keep your fingers crossed that we have 2 healthy bucks in the litter!

I really don't know much about showing rabbits etc, but my thoughts in terms of male versus female go as such. Unaltered female rabbits (which yours will be if you want to show her) have high chances of getting cancer, and as such I believe don't live as long. In addition to this, I feel like (I could be wrong as I don't breed), a buck has longer breeding age potential than a doe does. So if you get a doe first and it's a couple of years before you decide you want to breed etc, your doe might be too old for a first litter. A buck however at a couple of years old, is likely still very capable of fathering kits. If in the end, you decide you don't want to breed but still show your rabbits, a buck will likely end up living longer anyway because of the cancer issue.

Happy to be corrected on any of those remarks, just thought it was something to consider. I see that you're possibly getting a buck anyway *fingers crossed* but see how it goes :)

Except for show purposes, at no time will a (rabbitry name) rabbit leave the Buyer’s residence intact for any reason, including but not limited to the sale, replacement, gift, pet, or paid/free lease purposes.

what is the purpose of this requirement?

And just how is someone going to enforce it??

and then too... does the rabbit really belong to the buyer??

female rabbits do have a higher chance of uterine adenocarcinoma but I have known plenty of breeders that tell me their does have lived till their early and late teens. If a doe is continuously used for breeding she has a lesser chance. It is when they are spayed and not used for breeding is when there can be trouble. A buck for trying out a breed is the best because you aren't on a deadline to get him bred. There is an age you should pass before trying but they are able to breed whenever you like.

I am so excited! I hope they have a baby boy for you :D :D

female rabbits do have a higher chance of uterine adenocarcinoma but I have known plenty of breeders that tell me their does have lived till their early and late teens. If a doe is continuously used for breeding she has a lesser chance.

I had wondered that about whether breeding reduced the level of risk. Now I know, thanks for that :)

Thanks! I'm really anxious to find out! There is also a rabbit show the weekend after next that we are getting excited about! Hopefully soon I will actually have a rabbit to talk about :)

female rabbits do have a higher chance of uterine adenocarcinoma but I have known plenty of breeders that tell me their does have lived till their early and late teens. If a doe is continuously used for breeding she has a lesser chance. It is when they are spayed and not used for breeding is when there can be trouble. A buck for trying out a breed is the best because you aren't on a deadline to get him bred. There is an age you should pass before trying but they are able to breed whenever you like.

I am so excited! I hope they have a baby boy for you :D :D

I think perhaps you mean it's when they are not spayed? Spayed rabbits cannot get uterine cancer because their uterus is gone.

I've never owned an intact female (both of my females have been adopted from shelters/rescues that spayed them already), but my first female did end up with mamary cancer which had spread even though we had her tumor removed. An early spay would have helped protect her against mammary cancer as well.

Latest posts

Back