Questions about new bunny friendship

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carobanlonac

Reaction score
I totally unexpectedly met another bunny caretaker yesterday. We both have male single rabbit inside (mine is 2 years and her's is 4). Her had a short term relationship with rescued bonded partner that had to be given away, but my Vito hasn't met anyone he isn't genetically related to of his species (he comes from outdoor pet rabbit family he left when he was almost 3 months old). We thought that giving them chance to meet each other in few months would be nice experience, but I can't seem to find anything on it by Googling. Everybody is saying about slow, careful bonding of opposite sex rabbits. We both have castrated males, both scaredy type. Is it a bad idea? I would love Vito to meet somebody, just to play a bit with.
I don't think he is lonely and he loves when I actively participate in his life (though he always gets new boxes and place to run, he loves my attention).
Thank you for your time :)

Rabbits don't do "friendships," so things like playdates are not recommended. Bonding is something completely different. Bonding would mean that they are introduced with the intention of having them live together permanently. That would, of course, mean that one owner would be giving their rabbit to the other owner. Bonded rabbits share everything-- living space, beds, litter boxes, food dishes, etc.

It is always a stressful situation when two rabbits meet. That stress is considered 'worth it' if they ultimately bond. If there is no intention of actually bonding them, then having the two meet is just going to cause stress.

Back