Questions about collars and harnesses...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3willowsbunny

Reaction score
Getting a bunny soon and have been watching tons of youtube about rabbits, I've noticed some owners have collars on their rabbits (like a cat collar) with information tags incase bunny ran away or something. Are collars okay for an indoor pet bun, like a breakaway cat collar? I would also like to know if walking a bunny on a harness is a good idea, I know collars with a leash is a bad idea for the rabbit's neck but would walking on a harness be okay?

I use harnesses all the time! Just make sure they aren't the collar type make sure they are a mesh harness made for a rabbit! Princess sometimes wears her collar when I take her in the back yard just make sure it's not too tight so if she/he gets caught they can slip out!:)

I've put breakaway collars on my bunns at times, usually for a combination of "shame" purposes and making sure I know when a bunny is nearby and might get underfoot. My only issue with breakaway collars is that what makes them safe also makes them easy for a clever bunny to deliberately remove, so I gave up on them after Nala figured out the trick :p. For obvious reasons, a breakaway collar (or collar of any sort) shouldn't be used with a leash.

Harnesses are more iffy and even the proper type can be dangerous if the rabbit wearing it gets spooked. I think an x-pen is a better option for taking a bunny outside, as a harness is only safe in a fairly controlled environment (like doing agility/rabbit hopping training under close supervision).

I have never put a collar on my rabbits. I use a h-style harness on some of our backyard outings and they do well with those. I've had bad luck with them escaping from the mesh jacket style ones they market for rabbits and would not recommend them. Both of my rabbits are also microchipped so they're permanently identified should they ever get lost.

I realized I didn't respond to one other part of your question...

I see no reason whatever to put an ID collar on an indoor rabbit. Rabbits tend to like to squeeze through small spaces and if a collar were to get stuck on something, bunny might panic and cause himself severe injury. Also, bunnies aren't likely to bolt out of an open door. They like to be safe.

I also would agree with Jennifer (Imbrium) that an exercise pen is a better option for taking a rabbit outside. Always supervised, of course.

Collars are definitely not suitable for rabbits. Too many things for them to get caught on. Rabbits really should not be outside unsupervised anyway. A microchip or even a tattoo is better for ID and safer for the rabbit. Rabbits really don't run away like a dog would, so very little risk and need for ID tags.

I do agility with my rabbits and they wear H style harnesses for that. This is pretty much the only time they wear the harness. I sometimes take them outside, but not that often. I do have a few that will chew the harness, so they even only wear it for the actual event and not inbetween events. We don't use leashes (except for a few events that are outside on grass), so that does make is a bit safer. If you do have the rabbit on leash, you should not drop the leash (easy to get tangled) and you need to keep up with the rabbit. Rabbits tend to run forward quickly, then stop and might go another direction just as fast. You don't walk with a rabbit like you do with a dog.

I also would recommend an x-pen for outside if possible. An H style harness and leash can be used if needed.

I regularly take Bandit for "walks" outside with a harness and leash. I also use the H style harness. Bandit was a bit finicky with it at first, as to be expected, but now he tolerates having it put on very well. Bandit is also microchipped, just in case anything should ever happen. Make sure your leash is of reasonable length so that when your bunny suddenly darts forward, you have enough time to respond and keep up before the leash goes tight. You don't want that happening, you have to be very aware of your rabbit at all times and learn how to read if they're going to bolt. One day I was out in the yard with Bandit on a leash and something scared him into a panic and he bolted but I knew I wasn't going to be able to keep up so I honestly just let the leash go so that he could run away safely, but I would never have let it go if I wasn't in our yard. I just slowly followed him to where he'd run away to and picked up the leash again. Otherwise they can get jerked onto their backs and it can be painful and quite dangerous for them.

I do sometimes put Bandit outside in a pen, but I don't like doing it because he has this "must be free to run where I please" mentality. So he's always trying to find a way out. Plus, I enjoy walking around with Bandit, it means that instead of plonking him out in a playpen with a roof on and largely ignoring him except to check up on him, I get to spend some time with him, even if he doesn't particularly care about at that point in time, lol

I've read that walking bunnies is not healthy for the bunny. They get startled and could get a heart attack or from all the jerk around out of fear could injure their backs or get tangled and strangle themselves. I've notice it's very popular to do in Europe but I think the owners do it more for themselves and not for the bunny. :(

I've read that walking bunnies is not healthy for the bunny. They get startled and could get a heart attack or from all the jerk around out of fear could injure their backs or get tangled and strangle themselves. I've notice it's very popular to do in Europe but I think the owners do it more for themselves and not for the bunny. :(

sorry, but that is utter bull****, rabbits love to get to go on walks outside, and how would they be able to strangle themselves if you keep watch over it ?

sorry, but that is utter bull****, rabbits love to get to go on walks outside, and how would they be able to strangle themselves if you keep watch over it ?

Whoa, itchyrat, that's a bit harsh. There are very real dangers of harnessing a rabbit. Since our Korr & Sophie is an experienced member here (does agility), I will take the liberty of quoting a previous post of hers:

I use a harness for agility and when I take my rabbits out. It is mostly for safety and to have something to hold onto. I don't really use a leash that often though.

When it comes to harnesses, some are good and some are dangerous. Any harness that is all one piece (figure 8 types) are dangerous as they can tighten and choke a rabbit. Vest harnesses can be hard to adjust to get them to fit right and they are bulky, but otherwise are pretty safe. H style ones are safe to use and can be adjusted to fit a rabbit fairly easily. Shoulder harnesses also seem pretty safe.
Leashes do need to be used properly as they can be dangerous if not used right. There should be some slack in the leash so you are not pulling the rabbit around. Since rabbits tend to stop and go quickly and change direction with no warning, the person holding the leash needs to pay attention to avoid the rabbit getting jerked back with the leash.

I think that if used properly and safely, harnesses and leashes can be good. They should not be left on unsupervised.

I would also like to reference the following:
http://www.orlandorabbit.org/html/leashes.html
and
http://www.wheekwheekthump.com/2013/09/08/reasons-harnesses-dangerous-rabbit/

There are legitimate concerns surrounding harnesses and is best done by those with experience with harnesses and rabbits.

Wow, I don't even feel like commenting, but I was thinking a harness would be good for Brooke since she's bigger than most of my chihuahua's and I could take her out for some air and not worry about her getting spooked (not that she does usually)
and be able to get her some good excercise.. that being said, I could NEVER put a harness on Chico or Chica. She WOULD freak out and have a heart attack or hurt herself. Chico might freak out and go all over the place and wind up getting hurt.

I bought a harness for Brooke to see about taking her out for a walk in my yard- I have a half acre-- and she kicked the living s**t out of me with her powerful back legs... don't know when I might try that one again.. Lady , my husband ordered a harness with Angel Wings and I've taken photos of her in that and that is about it. She was a cutie...

Vanessa

Strong opinions here, but that is what I wanted, opinions. I think we will start getting my bun used to a harness and leash as soon as he/she is settled. I will not just plop on a harness outside and expect that bunny will be fine with it, I will put it on for a few minutes indoors and if accepted offer treat and praise then work up slowly and eventually to outside, again always with supervision. I eventually want to get into agility so a harness will have to be used and accepted...and be safe. As far as using a collar goes I think I may pass on that or at least will not have one on him/her full time, the bunny collar debate seems to me like the ferret collar debate, some folks are all for it, some think it is just too dangerous. I think it also depends on the bun's personality, Hannah, my female lop would probably not have had any issue with a collar or harness, Oreo my male would have freaked at either one, Oreo was easily spooked, Hannah was mellow. We'll see how new bun reacts, if he or she freaks I will go slower or abandon the idea.

As far as the leash is concerned someone here at RO suggested this bungee style leash:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OBFHXU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I've purchased one but have not used it yet. It is stretchy & gives like a bungee thus the name. Oh, this comes with both a leash & harness but the harness is not a good harness to use. I purchased it for the bungee leash & do NOT use or recommend using the included harness. I purchased another cat harness for my bunnies. They are the H style cat harness.

I made the purchases mainly for use with agility training & possibly for short outdoor periods on our porch when our time outdoors is going to be too brief to put up the xpen.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've done more reading on the subject and it seems that if an "H" harness is used, if you stay right with your bunny and the bunny is used to being in the harness you should have no problems. Naturally if you put a harness on a rabbit who is not used to it and drag him outside and plop him on the ground in an area he may not know he may freak out. With a properly fit harness (not a one piece figure 8 harness which are dangerous) I highly doubt a rabbit could strangle himself, he could hurt himself in the struggle to get out of a harness but only if not properly introduced to it. A collar and leash is a different story, I could see a rabbit getting very hurt (or even escape) from a collar attached to a leash.

Back