Question about "rough" treatment

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orrin

Reaction score
I'm something of a newbie in the rabbit business; so, I've been reading books and on line posts; watching videos and whatever. I've also watched all the excellent Mary Cotter and Amy Sedaris videos.

This is the impression I've gotten, so far: Rabbits' behavior is influenced by their history of handling; if they've been handled roughly they may shun human contact from then, on. Cotter/Sedaris advise respecting the rabbit and if they move away when touched, don't force the issue.

I've tried to be as gentle as possible with my buns and avoid handling them. All have become accustomed to being petted and don't usually move away from my friendly strokes. If I sit on the floor at treats time the two older ones will often jump up on my lap.

All right, so how does one ever get a rabbit accustomed to the handling necessary for nail trimming, or whatever? That is one step up the handling ladder.

This morning our three-month-old Flemish giant, Peter, lost his appetite and wouldn't even take any of its favorite treats, thin banana slices, shredded carrots or fresh alfalfa leaves. This has never happened, before, especially with bananas.

Consequently, we thought it important to take Peter's temperature. About the only way I knew how was to get him up on a table where my wife could hold him while I took the measurement. (It was normal, BTW.)

Even though I picked Peter up as gently as I could and got him into a "football hold;" but, to me it seems as though a rabbit kicks reflexively during any such moves. Is this rough handling? I don't know how else to do it. There is a moment between their feet leaving the floor and my getting a hand under them.

We've had Peter for a month and I've never picked him up; however, the previous owners handled him quite a bit. I've been letting him feel comfortable with us before forcing the issue; today, it became necessary.

When I picked him up for a trial run, this morning, he kicked a bit; then, settled down as I held him snugly; but, gently. When I put him back onto the floor he licked my hand, something he and never done before. Perhaps he like the taste of blood coming from the scratch he gave me. :)

To bring closure (I hope) to the current issue, the last time I checked on him he had eaten two banana slices and was drinking water; he even left me a dozen poopies. What a relief! He's not out of the woods, yet, however.

I welcome your advice and suggestions. Thank you.

When Peter was refusing food, that is usually a sign that his tummy is uncomfortable or gassy. Sometimes it works its way better without any help. Whenever one of my rabbits does this, I don't hesitate. I offer simethicone at the first sign of refusing to eat. (I don't bother with trying to take temperature.)

After a dose or two of the baby gas drops, they usually start eating again. Once they are eating again, then that is usually a good sign. I try to encourage hay eating and not too much of the sugary stuff that could exacerbate the problem if too much is eaten. Eating something, though, is better than nothing.

As for nail trimming, this video is probably the most effective method I've seen. I've had some very difficult rabbits (have one now) and this really worked like a charm. I especially like the way she explains how she just begins to put pressure on the clipper and how the bunny lets you know if its too short (have to see video to understand).

Thank you, Blue Eyes. For sure, I knew Peter was uncomfortable. Besides not eating his posture was different and he couldn't get comfortable.

I've seen the Cotter/Sedaris nail clipping video and agree their technique is excellent. Even so, one needs to get the rabbit off the floor and onto the table and during this move a bunny is likely to kick and squirm a little. That is my main issue. After watching our last professional nail clipping I told myself, "Never again." They put my bun on its back it it became petrified, not hypnotized as some folks believe.

Both my wife and I are content to enjoy our bunnies without needing them to cuddle up to us; but, I don't want them to become afraid of us, either, fearing us when we need to pick them up for good reason.

That time of scooping them up or putting them down is typically the time they are most likely to squirm. The trick is to try to scoop quickly and get them snug against you as quickly as possible. Once they feel snug against you, they are less likely to squirm (as I believe you mentioned). I don't think one can stop that uncomfortable-ness they feel in that transition, but can minimize it by getting them quickly.

Thank you, Blue Eyes. I appreciate your wise counsel.

Here is an update on Peter. I stopped by his pen (he doesn't have a cage) a few minutes ago and he was eating pellets. I'm ecstatic. He will soon be feeling all right. What a relief! :)

Mine recently denied a baby carrot (which is LOVES more than anything in the world) and my boyfriend and I were stunned but left it out for her to see if she would eat it later. A few moments later I opened a drawer with some treats I don't like giving her often because they're just pet store hay ring-o's- but she ran over and jumped in the drawer and started grabbing and throwing that bag- so I gave her one, which she ate, then she ate her carrot. Totally freaked him and I out when she wouldn't eat, as that isn't a good sign- turns out she just wanted two treats.

Anyone have experience with covering the bunny with a soft towel and then gently swaddling them when picking them up? This is the only way i’ve found my bunnies to be calm when handled. I’ve only had them for 2 months however. Hopefully they calm down when I pick them up with bare hands in the future.

Back