Question about pellets.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juste

Reaction score
Hi,
So today i bought a pack of new pellets for my rabbit. Will try to slowly change old ones..
But now i saw that it would be much cheaper to get a 20kg bag than buying in small quantity. So my question is how can i store pellets to keep them fresh. Because i assume that 20kg bag for 1 small rabbit would go a really long time, wouldn't it get bad?

Yes you just keep weekly portion in an airtight container so it would be easy to use daily, the rest you can put in a few 2-5 kg bags and keep in a freezer, or just whole big bag put into a larger container and keep in a cool dry dark place.

With one compact size rabbit like yours 20kg will last forever, just make sure when you buy large bag what is expiration date, usually about 2 years.
One rabbit gets about 50-60g daily so that would make about 1,5kg a month.

What pellets you've got and why you changing what were the old ones?

I buy 25kg bags, last me about a half a year with about 20 rabbits I store it in a dry, cool room. On a chair, somewhat away from the wall. Because if the bag touches a cold wall or cold floor moisture can condensate at this point inside the bag and cause mold, which can be deadly.

I don't care much about the "Best before" date, it doesn't spoil from one week to the next. If not stored properly that date isn't a guarantee either.

Yes you just keep weekly portion in an airtight container so it would be easy to use daily, the rest you can put in a few 2-5 kg bags and keep in a freezer, or just whole big bag put into a larger container and keep in a cool dry dark place.

With one compact size rabbit like yours 20kg will last forever, just make sure when you buy large bag what is expiration date, usually about 2 years.
One rabbit gets about 50-60g daily so that would make about 1,5kg a month.

What pellets you've got and why you changing what were the old ones?
I trew away the old package so can't remember what brand they are, but when i bought them i didn't know which of them are good for rabbits, because then i thought that if i buy from pet shop it should be good.. but after reading more about rabbit i find out that t i should check fiber % and all that. So the old ones are not very good.
Now i bought Allen & Page Natural Rabbit Pellets. I think they are better?

I buy 25kg bags, last me about a half a year with about 20 rabbits I store it in a dry, cool room. On a chair, somewhat away from the wall. Because if the bag touches a cold wall or cold floor moisture can condensate at this point inside the bag and cause mold, which can be deadly.

I don't care much about the "Best before" date, it doesn't spoil from one week to the next. If not stored properly that date isn't a guarantee either.
Hmm i guess I have to stick to smaller bags, because i really dont want it to go to waste... i don't think i have a dry and cool place to keep it 😁 i think my room is the only room that don't have mold in it (i live in shared house).

It's a false economy. If you only have 1 bunny, buy small amounts. The nutrients start to deteriorate after a few months. Bunnies should not have more than 1 tbsp pellets a day so a small package lasts a long time.

I trew away the old package so can't remember what brand they are, but when i bought them i didn't know which of them are good for rabbits, because then i thought that if i buy from pet shop it should be good.. but after reading more about rabbit i find out that t i should check fiber % and all that. So the old ones are not very good.
Now i bought Allen & Page Natural Rabbit Pellets. I think they are better?
There's 23% fibre which is good and protein 12% calcium 0,6% but honestly I am not too sure if they are good for your rabbit, here's all info willing to discuss with other people who are good at food analysis.

Their first ingredient is nutritionally improved straw - what could that mean? Straw is a great source of fibre that's probably why fibre is high, min you should have is 19%. Wheat meal it means that grain based, also has alfalfa (lucerne) which is generally not recommended for an adult but protein level is not high. With added prebiotics.

I am not too sure honestly would be interested to see what other experts can tell about them.

Generally i agree that with just one little home pet rabbit buying 20kg bag doesn't make any sense since it will last one year and even if properly stored pellets will be losing so much at the end of that big bag. I would go with a reputable brands and would buy 1,5kg monthly or if you want to save maybe larger bags I know Burgess Excel selling 10kg bags as well, but you won't safe too much honestly, and fresh is best.
Another recommended brand would be Supreme, there was a very good table with food analysis for most known brands, I will find it for you now.

I know Preitler said he buy 25kg bag and it lasts for 6 months with 20 rabbits, but he should add that only two rabbits are pet rabbits (indoor/outdoor) and other rabbits are his livestock, also he feeds them vegs and greens he is growing himself and his own grass/hay as well, so I would say this is his own unique way of feeding rabbits and I wouldn't follow that with just one little home pet lovely lionhead who lives on your bed. No offence Preitler, just it's a huge difference what you feed your only pet and what you feed your livestock.

https://www.animalfeedstore.com/product/allen-page-natural-rabbit-pellets/-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Made from natural, wholesome ingredients – including alfalfa, grass, linseed, oat fibre and mint – these pellets are completely balanced, with all the vitamins and minerals your rabbit needs. Designed for pet rabbits or as a maintenance diet for any adult rabbit, these pellets should be fed with plenty of hay and constant access to clean, fresh water. Probiotics are included to assist gut health and boost the immune system by ensuring a healthy balance of micro-organisms in the rabbit’s digestive system.

Coccidiostat (drug) free – an ideal pet feed
Rich in Omega 3 oils
We only source identity preserved (Hard IP) Non-GM ingredients
Available in 20kg bags.

£10.37

Analytical Constituents
Crude Protein: 12.0%
Crude Oils and Fats: 3%
Crude Fibre: 23%
Crude Ash: 8%
Calcium: 0.6%
Sodium: 0.3%
Phosphorous: 0.45%
Omega 3: 0.7%

Composition:
Nutritionally Improved Straw, Wheat Feed, Grass Meal, Oat Feed, Linseed Expeller, Lucerne Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Molasses, Di-calcium Phosphate, Mint, Fructo-oligosaccharides

Nutritional Additives (per kg)
Vitamins:
Vitamin A (3a672a): 7k iu; Vitamin D3 (3a671) 2k iu; Vitamin E (3a700) 70mg

Trace elements:
Iron: 10mg (Iron (II) Sulphate Monohydrate) (3b103)
Zinc: 20mg (Zinc Oxide) (3b603)
Manganese: 20mg (Manganous Oxide) (3b502)
Iodine: 0.5mg (Calcium Iodate Anhydrous) (3b202)
Selenium: 0.1mg (Sodium Selenite) (3b801)

Zootechnical Additives
Saccharomyces cerevisiae (NCYC Sc47) 4b1702 5.00×10^9 CFU/kg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Here it is, food comparison table by known brands

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp
Oops, now I see your pellets are on that list and all green so they are probably super good 🤣 so I was wrong this time 🙃

Just about that size, since you already have them, just split them and put main part into a large plastic container and put somewhere into a dark cool corner in your bedroom, take 1,5-2kg per month for your daily needs and keep it in a smaller container and you should be fine.

Maybe some 5kg that you will use last you can put into a plastic bag and keep in the fridge. Yes Blue eyes right I actually wanted to say fridge not freezer, my bad

They can be stored in a refrig if you have the space. I've heard caution against actually freezing the food, but not sure now why that was. :oops:
Maybe because people would feed them frozen and frozen food isn’t good for buns? Just speculating. Can’t imagine anything else. Nutrients stay the same.

Oops, now I see your pellets are on that list with all green markings so they are probably super good 🤣 so I was wrong this time 🙃

Just about that size, since you already have them, just split them and put main part into a large plastic container and put somewhere into a dark cool corner in your bedroom, take 1,5-2kg per month for your daily needs and you should be fine.
I bought just 1kg from someone who bought full size bag 😄 because i wasn't sure about storage, but now i think that maybe i just going to return it and buy something from supreme in normal sizes. Which do you thing would be best from supreme?

I bought just 1kg from someone who bought full size bag 😄 because i wasn't sure about storage, but now i think that maybe i just going to return it and buy something from supreme in normal sizes. Which do you thing would be best from supreme?
Well as I've checked that table they are actually listed as all good so probably you could use them. If you have friends with rabbits or I think you said your sister had a rabbit as well maybe you could buy one big bag and share it, 10kg would be easier to store not that bulky you could keep 5kg in the fridge and another 3kg in a dark storage and 2kg in your smaller container to feed daily. Also don't place on sun and keep it closed.

When you change pellets make sure you do it gradually, mixing old pellets with new during one or two weeks, increasing new and decreasing old. Because maybe you are lucky and your rabbit will have no problems but it is quite common that when changing pellets suddenly they can have problems with their stomach or refuse new pellets at all and can even stop eating. I had this with Bernie, she was on a different pellets when I adopted her and refused any other pellets, just literally turned bowl on me and lunged so I had a hard time trying to find her old pellets since she arrived from other town and where I live they don't sell that brand.

Well as I've checked that table they are actually listed as all good so probably you could use them. If you have friends with rabbits or I think you said your sister had a rabbit as well maybe you could buy one big bag and share it, 10kg would be easier to store not that bulky you could keep 5kg in the fridge and another 3kg in a dark storage and 2kg in your smaller container to feed daily. Also don't place on sun and keep it closed.

When you change pellets make sure you do it gradually, mixing old pellets with new during one or two weeks, increasing new and decreasing old. Because maybe you are lucky and your rabbit will have no problems but it is quite common that when changing pellets suddenly they can have problems with their stomach or refuse new pellets at all and can even stop eating. I had this with Bernie, she was on a different pellets when I adopted her and refused any other pellets, just literally turned bowl on me and lunged so I had a hard time trying to find her old pellets since she arrived from other town and where I live they don't sell that brand.
That's a friend. And she had rabbits, sadly they died 🙁

Oh sorry to hear that, what happened to them, they all died same time?
Female died first one not sure the reasons but i know that she was old. But the boy died last year, tragic really.. there was a party in the house and some idiot open up a hutch to pet him(in summer he was kept in outside hutch) and didn't closed it properly. Rabbit got out at night and fox ate him.. 😭

Maybe because people would feed them frozen and frozen food isn’t good for buns? Just speculating. Can’t imagine anything else. Nutrients stay the same.
It's just a vague memory I have of reading that somewhere. It might have had to do with a concern of moisture accumulating?
When I bought in bulk (I don't anymore) I would store in a spare refrig.

I agree though that for one rabbit, it isn't really necessary. Even the priciest pellets end up being such a small monthly dollar amount since so few pellets are fed daily anyway.

Latest posts

Back