question about bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zyzra

Reaction score
Hi everyone. So i have two male rabbits who i want to bond. Im kind of wary of putting them in the same cage though...so here is my idea, tell me what you think. I was thinking of having a big pen for them in my basement, and putting both their cages inside but leaving the doors open. That way they could leave their cages to socialize but would have their own space when they needed it. Of course i would make sure they were bonded before leaving them alone like this.

Yeah i have a basic understanding. And it will be a few weeks before they are healed..so i will have lots of time to read up on it :) If you have any good tips (or things not to do) i would love to hear them though.

Men are going to be hard, so I would suggest waiting at least 8 weeks after the neuter.

Neutral area is the most important. The bathtub can be really good, as can car journeys. Vanilla essence can be useful too.

I would suggest searching for bonding on this forum because there have been loads of posts that could help you. Also there is a thread in the Bunny 101 forum about bonding bunnies too.

Thanks! I have been reading the forum for awhile but this is my first post. Lots of good info on here......and cute pictures hehe. And thanks for the tips. Ill post some pictures in the picture section when i get time :)
Ive heard of the vanilla essence stuff but not really sure how to use it...do you rub some of it on a certain part of their body or what?

You should start a blog :D but yes, pictures are good. You won't be able to start your new thread in the Photophiles forum because only mods can do that, and its for theemed pictures, but a blog or posting in this forum would be ace :D

The vanilla essence is dabbed just above the nose. It blasts their sense of smell, so that they can only smell their vanilla and not the other bun and can cut any agressive tendencies right down (if they are there).

I also have a question about bonding :]

Midas was neutered a few weeks ago and I am taking him to a shelter on Weds to start some bunny dating. I was going to let him see 3 or 4 candidates in one visit, but does he need time before he meets each new bunny? I'm going to be there for an hour or two and I wanted to let him with the new girls for at least 20 min a piece, but I didnt know if I should just let him see one new girl a day or how it should be done..

Thanks!

It might be worth starting your own thread, so it doesn't get lost.

Firstly, remember that he can still make a girlie pregnant for 6-8 weeks after a neuter.

It will depend how he goes. With some buns you will not manage 20 mins together. If he gets angry and you put him with somebun else, then his anger may still be there. He may get tired and need a break, he may get confused and stressed (bunny dates don't work for all buns, so bear that in mind).

Follow his lead but don't expect too much and don't push him.

If you find the right bun first time and they fall in love, then it seems a bit misguided to try him with a different bunny after, so just follow his lead and the signs he and the other bunny are giving each other, and don't stick to your schedule, go by his.

Hi ZyZra!

I am in the process of bonding two boys myself!

I started a thread called "nervous about bonding" and "I am so confused".

I have recieved some good info on both!

As far as the bonding, I started out in the bathtub. A towel dow, hay in the middle; about 10-15 minutes to start off with then gradually extended the time.

After a few weeks, I put both cages in a neutral territory. I used a see through gate to divide the area. That way, they could still see and smell eachother.

Now, they are in the open area for a few hours a day.! If you'd like more detail, see if you can find the two threads I mentioned. There are also great articles in the index.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back