Question about bedding...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fantaysah

Reaction score
I am in the process of putting together my own homemade condo... its 24x42x42 with 3 levels. The bottom is plywood covered with linoleum square for easy cleaning as plywood would absorb urine. My question is what if anything should i put on the bottom level as far as bedding? pine, shredded paper, nothing? This enclosure will be in my living room if that makes any difference. On the bottom level I plan to have a short sided box full of hay, the second level will have the water bottle and pellets and the top on will be just to hang out i guess and play with toys i can hang from the roof.

Really sounds like a nice set up for your bunny. Are you going to use a litter box on the bottom level or is that what the short sided box is? If so, I would put some blankets or towels down there so that your bunny can enjoy somewhere to relax. In the litter box, you could use wood pellets or Eco bedding and put some hay in it for your bunny to munch.

Also my bunnies love a nice hay mat too. They enjoy laying on it and then enjoy chewing and digging on it.

Hope this helps. Hope you post pics of your set up!

K:)

if their litter trained you can get a rug at walmart of thrift store for pretty cheap that way you dont have to worry about changng litter. and just make sure you have a litter box on every level. would love some pictures :)

Well the bunnies are only 4 and 5 weeks old so they are not litter trained ... i know the linoleum floor would be a little slippery though so should i just put down a thin rug, sheet etc or do they really need bedding at all? and at what age will they be able to jump well enough to put in this condo as the jumps are 14 inches.

If you put shavings down it will confuse the litter training. I would suggest leaving it just the plain floor until they are comfotable using the litter box. That way you can clean up accidents with paper towel to add to the litter box. The smell will help them figure things out.

Once they are litter trained then I would suggest a cheap flease blanket to make the floor more comfortable. :)

I wait until they are at least 8-9 weeks before putting in ramps. At 4-5 weeks they are still so little and probably will feel more comfortable on one floor, getting to know their surroundings and then as they get older you can open it up, put the ramps in.

Litter box training will be so much easier than a floor full of shavings. This is the time you can really work getting your bunnies to go in one place. A old t-shirt or blanket can be put down now. I did that with mine so they had something soft to lay in other than their litter box. I did lots of cleaning at firstbut as they grew it got better. My Kreacher loves his blanket, which I call his "wooby".

Wishing you all the luck with your little ones. Let us know what you decide.

If you think they are too small for the jumps then i will leave them in the smaller one level cage for now. At what age will they be able to make a 14 inch jump? i have seen several pictures online of condos with no ramps which gives them a lot more usable area.. are ramps advised anyhow? Will the bunnies eat the blanket I put in? I am almost done building the condo, waiting for the adhesive to bond on the wood/lino and then I can add the bottom and shelves for my levels. Any advice on how long I should keep them in the smaller one level home?

If you think they are too small for the jumps then i will leave them in the smaller one level cage for now. At what age will they be able to make a 14 inch jump? i have seen several pictures online of condos with no ramps which gives them a lot more usable area.. are ramps advised anyhow? Will the bunnies eat the blanket I put in? I am almost done building the condo, waiting for the adhesive to bond on the wood/lino and then I can add the bottom and shelves for my levels. Any advice on how long I should keep them in the smaller one level home?

Just observe. They will let you know when they are ready. They will become more active and stronger as they grow.

Regarding the blanket, again just observe. My Kreacher went through a period of chewing on his "wooby" or blanket. I took it away in fear of digestive issues, but put back when he was older. Now at 1 year old, he loves his "wooby" and does not chew. Lays on it, sleeps on it, moves it around to make more comfortable for him.

All bunnies are different. As you get to know your bunny, you will get to know what he likes, what he can and can not do. They are babies now. Just give them a few weeks and you will definitely see a change.

Can't wait to see the finished room for your bunny.

If the blanket is fleece it is safe for a little chewing because it won't have lots of stings that would be ingested. I have found that over time little holes happen even when they aren't "chewers" because of all the rearranging. Afterall, they use their teeth to move things. :)

Latest posts

Back