Puppy visiting the bunnies without us knowing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadezhda

Reaction score
So, Hunter the puppy (approx. 5 months) isusually kept in the family room. Lately, we've left the babygate open and allowed him to follow us around the kitchen and stay withus if we're in the living room. If Hunter is being a goodpup, and I'm only running upstairs for a minute, I'll let him come withme for a short visit to the bunnies. He's met them both outof their cage, and was curious, not agressive.

Today, I assumed he was in the living room with my brother, and mybrother was comatose in front of the hockey game. Mom camedownstairs from a nap and informed me, "Hunter is in your room with thebunnies." Meep! I ran upstairs, and Hunter waslying in between the cages, happily panting. Fred the bunnywas right up against his cage bars, sniffing and looking at Hunter withhis ears up, and didn't look frightened at all. Zorro has hisback the the dog, ears up, and looked wary, but Zorro is wary of thingsof things right now, until he gets used to his new cage. Hedidn't look scared, only wary. Hunter looked happy.He was lying down, panting away, and I couldn't see any indication ofhim trying to get into the cages.

After we dragged him out of my room (he really didn't want to leave) hekept checking to make sure everyone was downstairs, and would then gothundering up the stairs to go see the bunnies, until I put the gatefor my room up.

What do you guys think this indicates? Do you think they areon the way to being friends? Hunter has never barked orgrowled at the bunnies, and Fred seems to really like Hunter.Before Zorro was moved into his new NIC cage, he seemed friendly withHunter through the cage bars as well.

Should I start introducing them on the floor soon?

I know first hand that dogs and rabbits can getalong well. My 3 rabbits are currently living with a dog. I know thisdog and her temperament well. I normally do not trust dogs around thembut Maggie is different, she seems to think anything smaller than heris her puppy and guards them with her life. I often see her making therounds to the bunnies to check on them.

But I would never trust a puppy with them. Puppies don't tend to knowwhat's a chew toy and what isn't. And it's not always easy to stop apuppy from chewing on your rabbit. They may be faster and damage can bedone before you have a chance to do anything.

For now I'd say introduce them through the cage bars but only whenyou're around and wait for that puppy stage to end before introducingthem without the bars in between.

I'm not sure if you have but it's a very good idea to invest in puppytraining classes especially while you have other animals in the house.Being able to call the dog off in an instant no matter what's going onis crucial.

That's just my opinion but I do feel it's probably best for both puppy and rabbits.

I have 2 dogs and there both WONDERFUL with thebunnies! My older one who is 13 loves to prance around thebaby bunny when he is out but i NEVER leave them alone Im alwayssupervising.......and when i putthumper in the play pen areamy dogs sit by there waiting for me to take the bun out so he can eatthere poop UGH!:vomit:

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
But I would never trust a puppy with them. Puppies don'ttend to know what's a chew toy and what isn't. And it's not always easyto stop a puppy from chewing on your rabbit. They may be faster anddamage can be done before you have a chance to do anything.

For now I'd say introduce them through the cage bars but only whenyou're around and wait for that puppy stage to end before introducingthem without the bars in between.

I would agree with MBB on this.

We have a 1 yo dog that's still a pup. She's sometimes allowed in thebunnie room as long as someone is with her and all of the buns are intheir cages. She doesn't seem to be aggresive toward them and she laysdown nose-to-nose with them. She also LOVES the coco puffs they leavearound for her.
But, she's so quick I'm afraid that she could snatch&shake a bun before I could stop her.

Latest posts

Back