Pulling his baby's hair

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanuttherabbit

Reaction score
Hello, my rabbit Peanut is one year old rabbit who has 2 babies, n he's not neutered so i separated him from his wife, her name is Cinnamon, so sometimes he gets nervous n while his baby is with him, he humps on him n pulls his hair, its not like groomin or something like that, n while i separate him from his babies , he becomes depressed, eats less n stays sharp, what should i do?
i donno n im just confused about is it ok to neuter him? or not?
also his one of his fingers fur has been disappeared these weeks after separating, is it a problem? is he sick?

Hi, I didn't get about his fingers fur can you post a pic? I wouldn't keep him with the babies and yes he can be neutered you didn't say what's his age and breed but if he fathered two kits he's surely old enough to be neutered.

Also, how old are the kits and do you keep them separated from their mother? They should be kept with their mother she will nurse them until they are 6-8 week old.

Last edited:
He's trying to mate with them and the fur being pulled out is because he's grabbing onto their backs with his teeth. Keep them separated, maybe keep them in adjoining pens so he can see them if that seems to help. Keep an eye on his eating and drinking to make sure he's still eating enough. And get him neutered, then wait 6-8 weeks before trying to officially bond them.

As JBun said, you've got a horny boy there who tries to mate with whatever, pulling fur is part of it.
Young bucks can be very eager, mine never considered kits hump-able ( he came from a tiny, tiny hutch, I actually used kits to show him the ropes since he didn't know how to do more than 2 steps...), so I guess you've got a quite dedicated boy there. May I ask when you seperated him from the doe, before or after she kindled?

If you want to keep them together have him neutered. I have an intact male and a spayed girl as house bunnies, I can tell you he is a PITA from February to end of May, trying to hump her constantly (even got sore hocks from following her around all day), spraying her no matter where - you need to have a good reasons and patience to put up with that.

I had the girl spayed because the last time I had an intact female as house bunny she wrecked my apartment within 6 months, and I need the buck intact.

Hi, I didn't get about his fingers fur can you post a pic? I wouldn't keep him with the babies and yes he can be neutered you didn't say what's his age and breed but if he fathered two kits he's surely old enough to be neutered.

Also, how old are the kits and do you keep them separated from their mother? They should be kept with their mother she will nurse them until they are 6-8 week old.
sure, this is his finger n his breed is Rex also he's one year old, so i can do it.
kits r 7 weeks old n they r with their mother, n they eat everything their mom eats.

Attachments

• 20190624_005236.jpg
    20190624_005236.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 10
He's trying to mate with them and the fur being pulled out is because he's grabbing onto their backs with his teeth. Keep them separated, maybe keep them in adjoining pens so he can see them if that seems to help. Keep an eye on his eating and drinking to make sure he's still eating enough. And get him neutered, then wait 6-8 weeks before trying to officially bond them.
i did it n they only can see eachother but thats why im sayin he is depressed, maybe coze he sees his kts n cnt do anything,i donno but now i get that i should neuter him as soon as possible.
i'll check him, thank u so much for ur help :))

As JBun said, you've got a horny boy there who tries to mate with whatever, pulling fur is part of it.
Young bucks can be very eager, mine never considered kits hump-able ( he came from a tiny, tiny hutch, I actually used kits to show him the ropes since he didn't know how to do more than 2 steps...), so I guess you've got a quite dedicated boy there. May I ask when you seperated him from the doe, before or after she kindled?

If you want to keep them together have him neutered. I have an intact male and a spayed girl as house bunnies, I can tell you he is a PITA from February to end of May, trying to hump her constantly (even got sore hocks from following her around all day), spraying her no matter where - you need to have a good reasons and patience to put up with that.

I had the girl spayed because the last time I had an intact female as house bunny she wrecked my apartment within 6 months, and I need the buck intact.
sure, i separated them after that
but why didnt u neuter him too?

It could even be he is trying to dominate his kits, are his kids girls or boys. If they are boys I bet he is trying to dominate them just like the females do to males during mating. It could be he is just being a horny little rascal too.

sure, i separated them after that
but why didnt u neuter him too?

As I said, I need him intact, because I'm breeding rabbits.For meat, if you insist to know. Well, apart from keeping me going. In his first 2 years he was in a hutch, with free run time, he ventured into my house and behaved perfectly, so I made him my house bunny. Seemed to be lonely at times, so I got one of his daughters spayed as cuddlebun - didn't make things easier for me, but all in all, I'm happy with that decision.

Last edited:
Back