Problems with Cordie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavenlyshelties

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I am having some issues with our sweet Cordie ( Holland Lop ).

She is about six months old and hasstarted acting differently within the past month or two. She's alwaysguarded her poop. When I go to change out the litter box ( assome of you know I don't put Cordie and Miffy on wire cages. I justdon't like them and use plastic cages and I clean them out every twodays. ) she always attacks the scoop. Now recently she'sstarted jumping at us when we put our hands in the cage. Whenshe's out she's shy but fine. We can hold her and she'll be calm forthe most part, but for the first few minutes she is just on the attackand she has my daughter scared of her. I don't have my girlsspayed as I can't afford the prices they want and obviously there areno males around to inpregnate them. I know Miffy will getkinda grouchy every couple months and at certain times will get angryif we try to move anything around in her cage. She has allher wood pieces, chewing blocks, litter box and toys just were shewants them lol. She has gently nipped at me many times when I try toclean and i move something. Nota scared nip, more of a heydon't touch that please kind of nip. I now try not to disturbher arrangements lol. I'm just wondering if it is a fazeCordie is going through or if we aren't handling her enough.The girls play with her in the cage almost every day, petting her andgrooming her and after a while she calms down. She gets outof her cage maybe ten minutes a day, and gets the run of the livingroom with Miffy maybe twice a week. ( We have dogs and cats and whilethey don't hurt each other it's just easier not to have the bunnies outwith them without supervision just in case).

Oh and in case you are wondering, theyboth have lots of grass, plenty of water, food, toys to play with, woodto chew on, even things to climb through. They have saltlicks, bells to jingle, lots of fun stuff. I order fromRabbit stop about once a month lol. :)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

It sounds like normal hormonal teen age girlbunny. They typically get very protective of there cages(their territory).

It sucks that you can't afford to spay them at the moment.Have you tried contacting shelters/rescues and seeing anyone has a lowcost spay/neuter program?

For the time being I would suggest trying to only clean her cage whenshe's not in it. Let her out, then clean it while she's offexploring. Or wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt.

Possibly giving her a bigger cage (can you build some NIC condos??) may help.

--Dawn

Ditto to everything Aurora said! I'vehad this exact same problem. I know you said you can't affordto spay, but that did help. While I was waiting for theappointment, I made a point of never putting my hands in the cage ifshe was in there. I did all the cleaning while she was out ofthe cage playing.

Latest posts

Back