Pro and Con - Baby vs. adult

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRabbits

Reaction score
Right now I'm looking to buy a giant breed rabbit whom I plan to neuter. I've found a number of available rabbits, some are babies (8 weeks and up) and some are young adults. None of the ones I've found so far are neutered, though I'm keeping an eye on the shelters.

So which is better to adopt, baby or adult? What are the pros and cons of each? I'm sort of leaning towards a baby mainly because they're cheaper and I can wait a bit before having to neuter them. I read that it's a myth that adopting a rabbit at a younger age makes them more friendly and docile.

I do have a couple of other rabbits and I'm wondering if they'd pick up on the hormones from a young adult or even a baby? I don't plan to expose them to each other for at least a few weeks anyway (once the new rabbit is neutered and the hormones diminish).

Do vets charge more to neuter babies vs. adults or is it the other way round? At what age should a rabbit be neutered?

The price of neutering doesn't vary with age. A vet will perform a neuter at whatever age/weight he is comfortable performing the procedure. Some like to wait longer than others. Generally, though, as soon as testicles descend, the procedure can be performed. Four months is a common age.

There was (is?) an RO member here that had a similar story to the article in the 2014 Rabbits USA magazine. It mentions that myth. The rescue basically had multiple litters from multiple different rabbits. Each kit was handled the same when they were young. By the time they became adult, each one was different when it came to handling. Some despised being held, others tolerated and a few seemed ok with it. From that they concluded that lots of early handling does not mean that a rabbit will come to like being handled as an adult.

Yes, other rabbits in the household can pick up on the hormones of the other rabbit - or the presence of another rabbit. It won't matter whether it is a baby or adult because the baby wouldn't be a baby for long. Either way the hormones will be present.

The main problem I would see with a baby is that the chances of them making a mistake as to bunny's gender are much, much higher. If you are bonding multiples, it's generally best to have no more than one male and the rest females.

The price of neutering doesn't vary with age. A vet will perform a neuter at whatever age/weight he is comfortable performing the procedure. Some like to wait longer than others. Generally, though, as soon as testicles descend, the procedure can be performed. Four months is a common age.

There was (is?) an RO member here that had a similar story to the article in the 2014 Rabbits USA magazine. It mentions that myth. The rescue basically had multiple litters from multiple different rabbits. Each kit was handled the same when they were young. By the time they became adult, each one was different when it came to handling. Some despised being held, others tolerated and a few seemed ok with it. From that they concluded that lots of early handling does not mean that a rabbit will come to like being handled as an adult.

Yes, other rabbits in the household can pick up on the hormones of the other rabbit - or the presence of another rabbit. It won't matter whether it is a baby or adult because the baby wouldn't be a baby for long. Either way the hormones will be present.

The main problem I would see with a baby is that the chances of them making a mistake as to bunny's gender are much, much higher. If you are bonding multiples, it's generally best to have no more than one male and the rest females.

Thanks for that helpful information!

My other two are both altered, I have one male and one female. I was going to try and adopt a male because they tend to be cheaper to neuter. My new rabbit would have had limited contact with the other two. I originally planned on keeping my current two as house rabbits, but one is too shy and refused to come out of his cage and/or pen. He's a tiny Netherland Dwarf. But... it's likely they'll be in contact even if it's through the bars of the pen with the little guys. So it seems a female might be a better idea after all. I think the advantage of them having a better chance to get along probably outweighs the advantage of saving some money on the neutering. It wouldn't be good to end up with one huge rabbit that can't get along with the other two. And again, as you point out, with a baby I could ask for a male and end up with a female anyway.

I would go with a female too, if I were you - if I understand correctly, you already have a bonded pair and the introduction of another male in the house (even without direct contacts) could upset the balance of your pair. I saw pairs which had been bonded for years break up just because a new rabbit was suddenly kept upstairs in the same house. It is apparently less likely to happen with a female. If you decide on a girl, taking an "older" rabbit (over 10 months) might be easier considering that you will be able to spay her quickly or even to ask the place your getting her from to spay her before taking her (in France, some places / breeders do that, I don't know if it's possible where you live). It's up to you, but considering there are other rabbits in the house, her hormonal reactions are likely to be strong. I've never had a giant rabbit, but urine sprays from a 3-4 kilos rabbits might reach a high point on your walls and furniture ^^'. Phantom pregnancies are also likely in that setting. When Aki did one, she made a "burrow" in my pillow and she's a nethie - I don't know what a giant could do, burrow in the sofa ? XD
Babies are cute, but I rather like my rabbits post-desexing, especially after the horrible hormonal teenager period Tybalt went through. But that's a matter of personnal preference - my dog was a monster during his teething stage but I would go for another puppy in a heartbeat whereas I could really do without another "house sprayed with rabbit pee" period in my life XD

I would go with a female too, if I were you - if I understand correctly, you already have a bonded pair and the introduction of another male in the house (even without direct contacts) could upset the balance of your pair. I saw pairs which had been bonded for years break up just because a new rabbit was suddenly kept upstairs in the same house. It is apparently less likely to happen with a female. If you decide on a girl, taking an "older" rabbit (over 10 months) might be easier considering that you will be able to spay her quickly or even to ask the place your getting her from to spay her before taking her (in France, some places / breeders do that, I don't know if it's possible where you live). It's up to you, but considering there are other rabbits in the house, her hormonal reactions are likely to be strong. I've never had a giant rabbit, but urine sprays from a 3-4 kilos rabbits might reach a high point on your walls and furniture ^^'. Phantom pregnancies are also likely in that setting. When Aki did one, she made a "burrow" in my pillow and she's a nethie - I don't know what a giant could do, burrow in the sofa ? XD
Babies are cute, but I rather like my rabbits post-desexing, especially after the horrible hormonal teenager period Tybalt went through. But that's a matter of personnal preference - my dog was a monster during his teething stage but I would go for another puppy in a heartbeat whereas I could really do without another "house sprayed with rabbit pee" period in my life XD

Yes I'm going to try to get a doe if possible. There goes the name "Hugo" that I was going to give to a buck! The breeder has 20 lb rabbits (he didn't specify the age) and then he has 3 month old babies. I read that rabbits can be altered as soon as 4 months old. I thought of getting a younger one because they can be spayed soon anyway, and because I'm not used to handling a huge rabbit yet and thought it would be good to get one that's smaller, then I can get used to the size as she grows up.

I live in the city, so we have rabbit vets, but neuter appointments must be made in advance. Unfortunately in Canada the norm is NOT to alter rabbits. Most buyers don't even know they can and should be altered, and breeders certainly won't do it before placing young rabbits in homes. (I think that's a big reason so many end up in shelters here) Only shelters and private rescues neuter them before placing them. I'd love a pre-altered shelter rabbit, but they only have two giant rabbits now, and both just came in as strays within the past week. The shelter staff told me that IF the owners don't claim them (they are given a month), it will be at least 6 weeks after that before they're ready to be adopted.

Back