Pristine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lissa

Reaction score
Pristine gets spayed next Friday (March 3). Here is my thread to prepare myself for it.

I'm nervous. I have a feeling it's going to be a lot more difficult for me this time around. I'm so attached to Pristine and she's so affectionate. I've never had a bunny like her before. She's my baby. Please pray that everything goes well for her.

desktop1.jpg

Hi Lissa

Hope everything goes ok for Pristine, I'm sure it will.

I get upset when I think about my Twinkles' spay, as we adopted her they did it 2 days before she came to live with us and it pains me that I wasn't there to stroke her and feed her yummy treats - she was no doubt given the operation then left in a crummy shelter pen to recover on her own. At least you (and pristine) can take comfort in the fact that she has someone to care for her and nurse her bare belly back to health.

Prayers for you! x

Thanks Rebecca. :)

Tomorrow is the day. Last night she jumped on the couch and licked and cuddled me. I broke down. I have to stop these negative thoughts. If anything bad happened to that girl I would need some extensive therapy. OMG. I need some positive energy. :pray:

Okay, so I thought I'd feel better by calling and talking to the vet who will be doing the surgery....WRONG. She had me almost questioning whether or not getting Pristine spayed is even necessary. Am I doing the right thing? Maybe I should just forget about getting her fixed. :?

I mean, is it REALLY necessary to spay Pristine? We don't have any male rabbits in the house nor will she ever come into contact with a male rabbit. Is there really any proof that spaying an animal can lengthen their life? What about Lenci? We got her spayed and a few months later she died.

Can you tell I'm trying to convince myselfout of this?

zoecat6 wrote:
I've had ten rabbits either spayed or neutered without any problems at all. And their behavior definately changes for the better.

The thing is that I'm not doing this to improve her behavior. I love her just the way she is. If anything, I'm worried that her personality will change after being spayed. I don't want her to change. :(:(

Lissa, I've heard some horror stories of rabbits with uterine cancer. It's scary. Plus, Pristine may be frustrated from her hormones. Some does have false pregnancies and such because of their strong desire to mate. You are doing the right thing. I've had three girls spayed now, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I doubt she'll think any differently of you. Mocha still adored me after her spay. I've also used the recovery time to bond with them more, and they appreciate it.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm just really questioning whether spaying/neutering is even necessary. I know there is proof that it prevents uterine cancer, but what are the actual statistics of rabbits that get uterine cancer after 1 year? Does anyone know? I just don't know if it's worth the pain given rabbit's short life span.

From http://www.ontariorabbits.org/diet/behavinfo6.html

Unspayed female rabbits have a very high chance of developing uterine, mammary or ovarian cancer during their lives. Unofficial statistics indicate that between 50% to 80% of all unspayed females will be affected by cancer, by age 5. The incidence of testicular cancer in unneutered males is much lower, but does occur. By contrast, spay and neuter surgeries, IF performed by a rabbit savvy veterinarian, carry very little risk (success rates are close to 100%).

Like I said, I've heard personal horror stories. Some are from older rabbits, others are only a few years old. This one scares the :censored2 out of me.

http://www.mybunnies.com/onyx_surgery.htm

Not all uterine tumours are dangerous, or we'd have very few female rabbits over age 5. But still...

Thank you so much for getting that information to me. You're so resourceful. :):)

Wow. I'm on a rollercoaster.

I think I'm going to postpone again. I'm not ready.

Lissa, if you don't feel ready to face having your baby spayed, and there is no pressing need for it, that's okay. I feel it's a very personal choice as to whether one has it done or not. I just adopted a female rabbit (Anna) and had her spayed before taking her home...I so feared that something would happen to her, as I lost my little ND, Scooby, during a routine neuter last December (and was subsequently berated in a privateforum for his death by one of the members, saying that I should never have had a rabbit neutered...she was in essence accusing me of causing Scooby's death). Yet in order to have a rabbit who could possibly bond with my male rabbit, Raph, she needed to be spayed...so I kept an open mind and let go of the fear as much as possible. She was done eight days ago and is happily running about the house now.

There are statistics about ovarian/uterine cancers, just as there are statistics about the risks of surgery. Whatever you decide to do, you will make that decision with love for your little Pristine. Our lives, our animals' lives, they are never guaranteed as to length of time or how we choose to leave. Just embrace whatever decision feels best for you and Pristine and go with that. That's where you will find your peace.

:hug:

Latest posts

Back